Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Dumbasses in guitar shops - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Dumbasses in guitar shops

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

I was in my local shop earlier, for a couple of spare cables. I briefly, and quickly asked about a cheap, battery powered phase pedal.

The bloke suggested a Mooer, which didn't cover what I'd asked for (battery powered....)

This is the same shop which didn't understand when I asked for a volume/attenuation pedal.

I only went in as I was literally walking past the door, and needed a cable in a hurry.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 179
    Were you after any phaser in particular? I have a badly refinished Joyo one I keep meaning to list for sale...
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 673
    If you don't fancy dchwhite's mooer I have a vintage Ibanez phaser tone, which I don't need since getting the MOTHER of all chorus pedals \m/
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Was it PMT? I had an annoyingly snooty chap deal with me last time I was there. Give me Ken Stevens any day.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Peoples like that are the reason I only use certain shops in this area.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

Funnily, I've only been to PMT a couple of times, but as I was in my work clothes (I suspect), I was treated ok.

It was Simply Music in Huntingdon, After I saw Viz this morning, and did my jobs in Cambridge, I had a couple to do in Huntingdon, so was going literally past the door.

I ended up getting the cables I needed, and an MXR phase 90 (block logo). It's not as nice as the Script logo on my main board, but it'll do the job....

Should've gone to PMT, Ken Stevens or Hartnolls if it was closer..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• NickNick Frets: 98
    Usually such behaviour is a result of a lack of product knowledge or a lack of care for the customer... sad.

Yep, As most of you know, I sell car parts for a living. I'd be out of a job if I didn't listen to what is being asked for by my customers.......

Simple request, I would like a battery powered phase pedal, cheap if possible.. Doesn't really matter what it is, it's there for me or others to use at jams if wanted. 

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited August 2013
    mike_l said:

This is the same shop which didn't understand when I asked for a volume/attenuation pedal

probably cos they is two different fings,  innit  dumb ass   :D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited August 2013

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    He's a dumb ass cos he suggested a non battery powered pedal?
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Judas.

That is all.

:D
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130

Not being blessed with any decent music shops around here, dumb arses aren't a problem. But surely a basic understanding of what you're selling should be a pre-requisite, even if it's rubbish.

Paulo said:

Yes, when I'd specified a battery powered pedal......

Otherwise I'd have bought it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    RobDavies said:
    Judas Priest?

I agree, they're great

That is all.

:D

mike_l said:

Paulo said:

He should be sacked
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Paulo said:
    mike_l said:

Paulo said:

He should be sacked
    He's the manager (I think), I will say, the lady (Jackie, I think) who works in there is great, helpful and knows her stuff.

10reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Retail is a nightmare as a business model.  It was the same in the 80s with the old style computer dealer. You offer good service and support and the punter goes and buys it cheaper elsewhere. A lot of retailers are enthusiasts who cannot sell or manage a business but think it would be wonderful to sell guitar and musical instruments or hi fi or that little tea shop. Recipe for disaster unless you learn to sell - keep costs tightly controlled and provide what the customer wants. Even then it is iffy as your local council will decide to either restrict parking - put the rates up sky  high think of something else to screw up your best efforts. The tyre kicker can be dealt with to a certain extent with proper sales training
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Paulo;3071" said:
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Paulo should have an ebook of his stuff. He is so talented 

So there's no confusion, I went in, and specifically asked for a battery powered, cheap if possible phaser. The second part was covered (cheap), but not the primary (Battery powered).

Shouldn't a musician (I'm assuming he's a musician) listen to what's in front of them?

@Paulo, them there cartoons are awesomes.

Sounds like a small mistake.  We all have to learn I suppose. 

It's not his first with me.

It will be his last, with me.

I was fair and gave them a second chance, he blew it.

Same shop (different staff) did annoy me when I went in to order some pup's and the 2 guys were more interested is discussing their phones, and not listening to what I wanted.

I shall not be going back. For anything. Even a pick.......

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    To be (very slightly) fair, if he wasn't totally familiar with the Mooers or ever opened one up he might have assumed they were battery powered - almost all small pedals are. Most non-battery-powered effects are larger multi-FX type things. Not excusing him, just a thought. Yes, I know when you see the size of them and work out that with the two jacks and the switch there isn't going to be room for a PP3 in there it should be obvious...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

@ICBM, it was him who said, it didn't take a battery.........

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Lol

Definitely needed one of those pointy hats with a D on it then :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    That tale remimds me of an attempted purchase a few years ago...    music shop in Hull,  I grabbed a zoom multi efffect and asked about a cash discount.    The owners response was £10 more than the price tag (which was already at the max rrp and silly compared to online shops).    He wasn't being funny - he just couldn't read and when I pointed it out, tried to claim the ticket was a mistake...   I didn't buy it.