Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone using a laptop or tablet as their main rig? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone using a laptop or tablet as their main rig?

What's Hot
This weekend marks an entire year of using a laptop based rig. Any more of you guys going this route?

Im currently using a 2018 MacBook Pro, Scarlett 2i2, Behringer DI and a MelAudio Midi Commander. I run MainStage with Helix Native and Soundtoys and for acoustic I use Waves SSL channel. 

The MacBook sits on a 5 guitar rack which has the DI box and audio interface built in to it... and when I say built in I mean cable ties and velcro but its gigged this way all year and has been bomb proof. It leaves space for two guitars on the rack.

I either go front of house or to a Fryette Power Station and cab or both. I also use IEM's.

I know a lot of you guys would think that gigging a laptop is a faff or that it wouldn't be reliable but the truth is that this has been the most reliable rig Ive ever had. An entire year and not a single problem. 

Sound quality wise I dont think there is anything in pedal land that can really compare to what Soundtoys can offer and I'll leave the Helix debate for another thread but I think this is going to be the way I keep my rig moving forward. Even my Helix floor is looking bloated compared to the laptop and midi commander which can fit in my Mono gig bag.

C'mon guys, its 2020, get the laptops out!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• joetelejoetele Frets: 944
    How do you change between effects and tones live? 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I would seriously love to see a rundown of that rig, even if its just phone quality. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752

I am entirely laptop based for my keyboard rig which is a 2006 (the first one) Macbook Pro running Xpand 2 via a Roland midi keyboard. Not had any problems so far ...

Guitar wise though I'm happy with the sounds I can get out of a few pedals

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    Necro-thread bump.  Soz.

I'm thinking more about doing this with a view to solo/duo performance.  What are you guys using and how?  I'm Windows-based so MainStage isn't an option, but Steinberg VST Live looks interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I switched the keys rig to a Korg i3 and switched the guitar rig to a Pod Go ... basically 2 bits of hardware that was a real breakthrough in sounds versus price. Mainstage had some better sounds and it's a nicer editing enviroment than the hardware but in the end space in the van and load in time / quickness of soundcheck won out. 

I wouldn't gig with any Windows based machine and I say that as a laptop electronics repair engineer who works at board level, not as an Apple fan boy. I had 2 Macbooks but never had to use the spare. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter