Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Corvus Guitar Works - builds, paint, mods/servicing, Cambs - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Corvus Guitar Works - builds, paint, mods/servicing, Cambs

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 954
    Corvus said:
    Marco's Strat pre-flatting and a final sheen short of full gloss, with dummy spare p/g for seeing the colour kind of thing- it's shooting for faded fiesta red -

Makes me wants to don some black glasses and do the Hank Marvin walk! Lovely Colour
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Mike, Marco's shout on the colour there, I do like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EioPagoEioPago Frets: 26
    Corvus said:
    Cheers Mike, Marco's shout on the colour there, I do like it.
    Yes, it was a sort of faded fiesta red I always wanted to have and Bill (Corvus) nailed it 100% from the photos I sent him.
    I really love it.

Thanks Bill
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    Some more bits 'n pieces:

These two plus another came in for setups & minor mods, just about to headline London Desert Fest & Berlin Desert Fest on a European tour (Uncle Acid).

The DC is beaten up with a cracked heel and head, the MM is a 60s Epiphone one. Also going is a cheap Strat copy ... probably worth all of £60... It got some nice pickups put in and a few issues sorted

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Well hello there ...  :#

Not what you need 48 hrs before a tour, but it got fixed up and did it's job fine
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    As seen in the Guitars section; black walnut/maple, P90s, time machine. Repainted from an earlier build. Finished & claimed the same day by a visitor, gonna miss it though, it sounds & plays very well

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    I'm hoping to get a build done or at least anything needing much machinery, before we move house and I lose workshops for a time. When we move I'll be limited to setups & mods and praps minor routing etc etc for a bit, till the new workshop gets sorted out.

I happened across some nice black limba and bought it there & then-

Love the endgrain - like a cloudy pencil sketch:

Jointed the halves with planes, there's a dry join in there

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    And the top, also more by accident than design - some Redwood, 3000 years I think (2-3000 anyway)-

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Corvus said:
    I'm hoping to get a build done or at least anything needing much machinery, before we move house and I lose workshops for a time. When we move I'll be limited to setups & mods and praps minor routing etc etc for a bit, till the new workshop gets sorted out...
    Not moving too far I hope! ;)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Corvus said:
    Finished & claimed the same day by a visitor

So, if we drop by the workshop on random days, we might just see something coming off the bench and be able to grab it??

See you shortly

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    Corvus said:
    I'm hoping to get a build done or at least anything needing much machinery, before we move house and I lose workshops for a time. When we move I'll be limited to setups & mods and praps minor routing etc etc for a bit, till the new workshop gets sorted out...
    Not moving too far I hope! ;)
    Just up the road apiece :) only about 3-4 miles or something. Should be easier for some people, it's closer to the A10 and still nearish the A14.

@ttony :) as ever welcome any time. As the plague took over I never did get to pop over to yours.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    edited May 2023
    That black limba looks lovely, what’s the plan for it? 
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Jay, I'm making another of my offset shape, except a posh woods version. More of a modernish sleekish approach on this one, style & parts wise.
    A bit slow as it on gets done at weekends or the odd evening, customer work takes up the days.
    Corvus said:
    Cheers Jay, I'm making another of my offset shape, except a posh woods version. More of a modernish sleekish approach on this one, style & parts wise.
    A bit slow as it on gets done at weekends or the odd evening, customer work takes up the days.
    Sounds like I best get gear selling and saving! :) Bet that is going to look incredible, I look forward to hearing how it unfolds.
    Oh and don’t go too sleek and modern, it’s a design that would look killer with a bigsby (maybe one of the goldo b5 style ones so it is a little more sleek and modern than the originals). 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    Corvus said:
    And the top, also more by accident than design - some Redwood, 3000 years I think (2-3000 anyway)-

Woah, stunning! Where did you find that beauty?
    tFB Trader
    That came from luthierwood.com, John Ambler - he generally has more interesting things than the usual suspects, not cheap but good stuff and dangerously nice to look at :)
    edited June 2023 tFB Trader
    A quick vid of the redwood, jointed & ready to glue. Plane & shooting board makes quick work of it.

edit - youtube shorts don't embed but if you use the ID and the normal YT link it seems ok ..

edited June 2023 tFB Trader
    As seen in Guitars, this walnut/maple older build got repainted & aged -

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    And also seen in Guitars, the '62 Epi Crestwood restoration -

Before:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    A quick post or two, Si's Hamer in the sun; pink nitro with various pearls laid over the topL

tFB Trader
    Refretted with 6000, dry built to check fit, holes etc after paint -

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1252
    Corvus said:
    Refretted with 6000, dry built to check fit, holes etc after paint -

It looks so much nicer in the flesh!

Plays great now so thanks for sorting this out for me Bill.

Si
    tFB Trader
    Update: we were supposed to be moving house but it fell through at last minute, so still here and back open. Been quiet on here with all the prep and getting work done, but here's a few random things, just because:

The Firebird, as seen in Guitars - 7lb 5oz, Mojotone P90s, ally plates.

I want to etch a logo/motif on the front plate, but here it is for how -

tFB Trader
    And in a similar shape-ish vein, this RD Artist bass came in for a bit of work and light ageing. The onboard Moog electrics work fine, the expander is ... weird...

tFB Trader
    Customer service: the RD owner also owns this Alembic which I restored a bit ago. Since then the onboard gear started playing up - some components on the main board disentegrated. Our man has a pal who's a dab hand with electronics and they contacted Alembic, who sent them a copy of the original hand-drawn diagram & schematic.. Repairs got done - and were declared nice work by the original designer :)

tFB Trader
    I don't normally like quilt much but this thing was nice to play, CS LP in for a jumbo refret. It lost nothing for being weight-relieved. Sorry for the blurry pics ..

tFB Trader
    My 2nd prototype Thing out on tour-