Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Stiff Selector Switch - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Stiff Selector Switch

What's Hot
I bought a 3 way CRL Tele switch with spring action after it being recommended on here.

The switch is very strong and it takes a lot of pressure to change. That's good for stopping accidental switches while strumming which does happen on my other Strat but it's just a bit too hard, really have to put pressure on it which takes longer (still talking milliseconds).

Is there any way to alter the action and loosen it up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It’s likely to be a combination of the spring strength and friction - try a little oil on the mechanical ‘notch’ part first. You can weaken the spring if you’re careful but it’s a no-going-back operation if you get it wrong and end up with it too loose, so I would only try that as a last resort.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Sounds as if something is physically impairing the movement of the lever.

Was the switch equally stiff before anything was soldered to it? Is it possible that a conductor wire has become lodged against the switch. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    The 3 way CRL I recently bought is pretty stiff too, especially compared to a typical 5 way, so it could be par for the course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    normula1 said:
    The 3 way CRL I recently bought is pretty stiff too, especially compared to a typical 5 way, so it could be par for the course.
    3-ways are always stiffer than 5-ways if they're the same basic design, because the notches in between the positions are smaller on the 5-way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4382
    ICBM said:
    normula1 said:
    3-ways are always stiffer than 5-ways if they're the same basic design, because the notches in between the positions are smaller on the 5-way.
    It definitely seems to just be the way it is rather than anything wrong with it or soldered to it.

But at the same time it's a lot more extra stiffness than I'd think just the extra difference would cause.

How would I go about loosening the spring?
    thegummy said:

By stretching it carefully. *Very* carefully...

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4382
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:

By stretching it carefully. *Very* carefully...
    I foresee myself breaking it lol.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    edited November 2019
    Before risking stretching it, are you able to just unlatch the spring and try the switch?  If it's still stiff then it's not going to be the spring that's the problem
  • ICBM said:
    It’s likely to be a combination of the spring strength and friction - try a little oil on the mechanical ‘notch’ part first. You can weaken the spring if you’re careful but it’s a no-going-back operation if you get it wrong and end up with it too loose, so I would only try that as a last resort.
    Would that (red arrow) be the area to lubricate please? And would WD-40 silicone spray work? Or is it better to use some oil on a toothpick?

IMG_7195.jpeg 671.2K
  • I would use grease. Apply in modest quantity between the wheel and the ridges in the metal plate. Operate the lever to distribute the grease along the ridges.

The wheel and ridges switches never feel as positive as the CRL sprung type.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    There's more friction in a twin-wafer switch too, which doesn't help.