Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Your favourite bass tones? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Your favourite bass tones?

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7749
edited August 2013 in Bass
Let's have a thread for all the most mouth-wateringly awesome bass tones you've ever heard.

I'll start with my all-time favourite:

These are pretty cool too:

4 minutes in:

25 seconds in:

Yours?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ChristophEarChristophEar Frets: 46
    edited August 2013
    Something a little different. What inspired me to pick up bass:

(unfortunately not on the YouTubes)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Still this.

Where the bass really kicks in at 1'14".

This for making me find out what a bass guitar was in the first place.

And this for showing that bass could be the melody instrument, not just rhythm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336

About 25 secs in
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    edited August 2013
    I play at my dining room table.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • iwishiwaspinoiwishiwaspino Frets: 3
    edited August 2013
    Ha ha that's my door bell chime....seriously!!!

Awesome sound, its all in the preamp, big ass bridge and Marcus of course!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Anything by Justin Meldal-Johnsen.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • iwishiwaspinoiwishiwaspino Frets: 3
    edited August 2013
    For me it has to be Pastorius - this album especially when he was at the top of his game. The bass playing and tone on this album for Michel Colombier is extrordinary! I must listen to this atleast once a week. Helped by Steve Gadd, Herbie Check it out!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    I always loved Bruce Foxton's tone in the Jam. Down in a Tube Station, Eaton Rifles etc ... classic 'driving' bass playing.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Are the multi clip posts all screwed up on anyone else's browser? I can only see the top fifth or so of every you tube video except the first one in a post.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Are the multi clip posts all screwed up on anyone else's browser? I can only see the top fifth or so of every you tube video except the first one in a post.
    They pop out when you hover.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Actually i take it back, if you mouse over they enlarge..that's pretty cool.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

Steve Harris - Iron Maiden 

Eddie Jackson - Queensryche

Honourable mentions to

Jason Newsted and Cliff Burton (RIP) both formerly Metallica

David Ellefson Megadeth

Ian Hill - Judas Priest

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Hooky. Not a conventional tone, but utterly compelling:
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    edited August 2013
    A bit of mixed genre here, but I do think the same tones sometimes appear in different genres but played differently giving them slightly different nuances. A hell of a lot of difference from the fingers or thumbs involved.
    Here we go anyway.

Love Rob Trujillos Fills at 1:38 and 1:51 in that S.T one.

Good that Bruce Foxton has been mentioned too, he is one of my Faves. I always thought Steve Harris had a Foxton-esque tone on Iron Maiden's first album too.

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited August 2013
    Billy Sheehan in Winery Dogs: 

How do you insert s youtube link?

• @geepers0677: Just paste the web address, it gets automagically transformed.
  • okies thanks - will have a go!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • woohoo!

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595

Sublime playing from Tal ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    This is my favourite bass sound ever... and has been for a very long time!

Mikey Dread, "Israel (12 Tribe) Style"

• BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Glad we revisited this. I don't really play bass now, but really like too hear it properly, it's so often buried somewhere with the bass drum.

Unfortunately I can't find live versions of all these but they're some of my favourite bass sounds. Really like all the songs too. In no order.

Buffalo Tom, forgot how much I like this, from their Birdbrain album-

Probably a Precision & an Ampeg.

Dead Meadow, great band, but you can't always hear the bass as well as this. Also think Jason Simon (guitar) is one of the best Wah players I ever heard, a lot of the time I can't stand it.

You can see what it is...makes a change from all the Precisions in the post- which is unintentional, but probably a testament to their success; the Ford Mustang, Toyota Corolla of basses.

The Screaming Blue Messiahs, "Holiday Head"-

Chris Thompson sometimes sounded better still, but you can hear the bass really well right through this. Almost definitely another Precision not sure about the amp.

Couldn't let it go without more JJ Burnel. Couldn't find a decent live vid of Nice N' Sleazy that didn't have strippers, (yawn), don't like, so chose this instead.

Almost definitely a Precision & I'd guess the Hiwatt lead head.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Good call on JJ Burnell. His bass nearly blew me off my feet at one of their gigs years ago. My hair physically moved, anyway.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 498
    edited August 2013

Deadman said:
    Good call on JJ Burnell. His bass nearly blew me off my feet at one of their gigs years ago. My hair physically moved, anyway.
    Thanks. They were/are pretty loud. To me bass sounds are before & after JJ Burnel, he completely redefined it for me. Last time we had this thread, in the "other place", I posted a boring anecdote about the first time I heard Peaches on the radio, one of those slack jawed moments of amazement- of the very rare good sort.

Oh & I forgot to post this, which pretty much always makes me smile** (not easy). In some contrast to the others.
    Nick Lowe- Awesome.

Think its a Hamer 8 string, no idea about the amp.
    ** the song, rather than the vid.
  • With ICBM on Argus & In Rock. Turner's bass is IMO idiosyncratic but it works. Glover's bass is just classic.

I'd vote for just about anything by Lee Sklar, whichever of Sly & Robbie is the bass player, and Jeff Berlin on the Bill Bruford EllPees. And Jimmy Johnson on the James Taylor recordings.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited August 2013
    Can't believe that I forgot Tool, and that no ones posted any Jamiroquai:
  • So long as nobody says Mark King, or Chris Squire ... 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself