Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Classical guitars without classical necks? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Classical guitars without classical necks?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The strings need a lot of stretching before they get close to stable BTW.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    Thought as much, I can't remember if I've ever restrung a classical before so it could be an interesting experience! :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    guitargeek62;247824" said:
    Thought as much, I can't remember if I've ever restrung a classical before so it could be an interesting experience! :D
    It is.

Restringing a guitar with a Bigsby's a piece of p155 by comparison.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 763
    Martin have got a 000C model which has a 48mm nut and a longer string scale. I've not played one but I imagine it has a neck feel similar to their standard series. Laura Marling plays one and she has tiny hands.

• WezV said:

it can work, but volume and tone will be compromised by the heavier bracing needed for steels strings.  

You also need a good way to achor classical strings with steel string pins, and tuning will be a bit long winded

Didn't realise till the other day D'Addario do a ball-ended nylon string set with 80/20 bronze wound thicker strings. Very tempted to try stringing an acoustic up with some.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Just to resurrect this, if anyone's still looking...

I'm currently borrowing an Alhambra S1C from the shop with a view to buying it. It's a 'Senorita' model - designed for women with smaller hands. (A bit sexist I know! A good friend of mine is a proper classical guitarist, and she doesn't seem to have any trouble with a normal-size one...)

It's '7/8' size, which seems to be rather uncommon. 25" scale, slightly shallower than normal neck - although still 2" nut width - 18.5" x 14" x 4" body. Solid top and ply back and sides.

It's very nice, and doesn't seem to sound any worse than an equivalent full-size model. I'm highly tempted...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Yamaha do a range of Jazz Nylons with thinner necks, 14th fret neck joins ect.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Have you looked at the new Yamaha range?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

The NTX700 might do the job, bit pricey though considering it's not all-solid?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862

I've done it a few times, it's not fun. In fact, few years back I got my classical out of it's case 1st time since moving and I noticed one of the strings had kind of delaminated and come apart. 3 years on and it's still like it, I do not enjoy restring classical.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I had a Yamaha and Santos Martinez nylon guitars .. both ok but quite weak acoustically so decided to invest on a Taylor NS32 and really happy. The neck is amazing and I use savarez strings, they have a different feeling, not sticky as normal nylon strings so I can go really fast on the neck :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    edited July 2014
    cbellanga;304658" said:
    I had a Yamaha and Santos Martinez nylon guitars .. both ok but quite weak acoustically so decided to invest on a Taylor NS32 and really happy. The neck is amazing and I use savarez strings, they have a different feeling, not sticky as normal nylon strings so I can go really fast on the neck :)
    Wow - I'm an NS32ce owner as well! Given how rarely they appear in shops I'm amazed there are two of us on here.

I second everything you say. They are incredibly playable and have excellent acoustic tone/volume too.

It's a bit of a luxury if you don't play nylon often but a fantastic solution if you are prepared to spend that much money.
    I played one of these a few weeks ago and was really impressed; http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/214ce-n
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Glad this thread has been bumped, I have a similar quest. Tempted by the Lowden S32J but it costs a fortune. Like @ICBM, I've never got on with Yamaha nylon string guitars (or their acoustics in general in fact).