Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Any chance the ignore function can be improved? - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Any chance the ignore function can be improved?

What's Hot
dunno how hard it is, but could it be more, well, ignorey? We can still see when they post, and if someone quotes them, we can see what they post.
Be nice if the bellend we're trying to ignore, could actually be ignored. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    VimFuego said:
    dunno how hard it is, but could it be more, well, ignorey? We can still see when they post, and if someone quotes them, we can see what they post.
    Quoted for the benefit of all those that have VinFuego on ignore
    38reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    see? Now I can see what I post.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    I can't think of a forum that gets around this issue, so I imagine it is quite hard indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sadly, what we've got is the limit of what can be done with Vanilla, not least because it doesn't properly store the quotes as something we can programmatically access.

When I've got my current workload out of the way, I'll be cracking on with the new version (it's a bit of a hanging mess at the moment), and yes - the ignore function is fairly near the top of the list for "improvement".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2019
    if it can't be done then fair do's. can't harm to ask.

EDIT: cross posted, thx DS.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonic said:
    I can't think of a forum that gets around this issue, so I imagine it is quite hard indeed.
    Oh, I've got an idea in my head for how it can be done. I just need time to do it...and currently, I'm working on a get-rich-soon scheme, which is kinda the priority ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Instead of an ignore function we probably need a "report to trained medical professional" button. Personally speaking I think I might put the guy on ignore because I'm not entirely comfortable witnessing what seems to be a mental breakdown.

Seriously. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • You can entirely omit ‘Off Topic’ which works nicely for me...it’s almost like this is a guitar forum when you do that ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2843
    You can entirely omit ‘Off Topic’ which works nicely for me...it’s almost like this is a guitar forum when you do that ;)
    I also find that works best. 

You do get somewhat blindsided by all the 'this forum is going to hell in a handcart' posts, I've genuinely never seen, let alone been affected by any negative or aggressive posts. 

It's all sunlit uplands! 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    edited September 2019
    My normal reading omits anything that’s not guitar related. I still have to venture into OT when something gets flagged. This morning I had to put on my hazmat suit and  enter P&E. Thankfully the suit comes with keys to the troll pen, where everybody can ignore them.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I realise I can block out OT and other sections, however I don't see why I should. I can have a laugh in the various sport threads, I've found out I what may be the issue with my hand (erm, I think that was in OT) I can commiserate with old friends when they hit a rough patch (and they can commiserate with me), I can celebrate with old friends when things go well. I'm pretty happy (this side of a lottery win) with my gear, so don't need to spend ages there. I can, but I shouldn't have to because of a few anti social trolls.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I find not reading some people's posts works best for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sassafras said:
    I find not reading some people's posts works best for me.
    yup, and an improved ignore function will help that. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited September 2019
    Sadly, what we've got is the limit of what can be done with Vanilla, not least because it doesn't properly store the quotes as something we can programmatically access.
    The majority of forum hosting software is does the same thing. The text copy posted by forumites on your Ignore List will not be shown but their forum ID names and thumbnail photographs will, together with the time/date information when they posted. If/when anybody quotes from the persons on your Ignore List, that text, photographs or video will be shown.

Some forums allow private, invitation only chat rooms. (A halfway house between PMs and the public forum, if you will.) Over at the Seymour Duncan forum, a bunch of Brits and Strines had a private zone for discussing Ashes Cricket without having to explain anything to the American majority.

The nearest thing on tFB might be the "Trader" category that only makers, repairers and retailers can access.
    Be seeing you.
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847

Over at the Seymour Duncan forum, a bunch of Brits and Strines had a private zone for discussing Ashes Cricket without having to explain anything to the American majority.

Being Brit rather than Strayan, I can only imagine what a barrel of laughs that would have been this year. :)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    @digitalscream for some reason despite my ignore list only having four people in it, and showing as "80% full (4/5)" attempts to add a fifth miscreant are rejected because my list is full. Any ideas? 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    @digitalscream for some reason despite my ignore list only having four people in it, and showing as "80% full (4/5)" attempts to add a fifth miscreant are rejected because my list is full. Any ideas? 
    It's possible there's a fifth that's been deleted, or possibly banned - therefore not showing. I've got a load of maintenance to do this weekend, I'll look into it.
    <space for hire>
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    cool, thanks
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    digitalscream said:

I'm working on a get-rich-soon scheme, which is kinda the priority ;)
    Bit selfish. ;-)
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    It can’t be that difficult. It would seem people are perfectly capable of ignoring something if it doesn’t fit in with their own views.
    Johnson, Trump, Daily Express, 7 string guitar players, etc...
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    dindude said:
    VimFuego said:
    Second for wiresdreamdisaster, who hates being ignored so much he'll write shit on your wall
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cranky said:
    dindude said:
    VimFuego said:
    Second for wiresdreamdisaster, who hates being ignored so much he'll write shit on your wall
    Your daughter deserves better.

Oh what? Did you expect everyone to forget that little bit of wisdom of yours? :lol: 

Bye!

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2020
    Guys, c'mon - it's Monday morning, I'm grumpy, and you're following each other around multiple threads needling each other.

The modmins would rather avoid opening up the cooler again...so could you guys cool it yourselves instead, please?
    <space for hire>
  • Guys, c'mon - it's Monday morning, I'm grumpy, and you're following each other around multiple threads needling each other.

The modmins would rather avoid opening up the cooler again...so could you guys cool it yourselves instead, please?
    You may be grumpy, at least you're not Cranky! ;)

Bye!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Does anyone know how I can put everyone on ignore? 
  • axisus said:
    Does anyone know how I can put everyone on ignore? 
    We can help with that ;)
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Guys, c'mon - it's Monday morning, I'm grumpy, and you're following each other around multiple threads needling each other.

I've been ignoring the guy, but he's started writing on my wall.  How do I remove it and block that type of thing?
  • Cranky said:

I've been ignoring the guy, but he's started writing on my wall.  How do I remove it and block that type of thing?
    There's nothing on your wall.
    <space for hire>
    Cranky said:

There's nothing on your wall.
    It was gone, then it reappeared, now it's gone again.  Just goes to show the guy is basically stalking. Is there a way to set the wall to private?
  • @Cranky - I've sent you a PM, because that's where this should've been from the start.

I'm also locking this thread, so it doesn't continue to the point where we have to cooler someone.
    <space for hire>
This discussion has been closed.