Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Double Anchovy and Popcorn Marmite NGD - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Double Anchovy and Popcorn Marmite NGD

What's Hot
JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
I've had this pair arrive this week, and I realise they are both acquired tastes in different ways, but...I'm a happy chappy.

The Blue one, is a Dano Wild Thing which I've lusted after since they came out... Sounds and plays  beautifully and isn't half as dangerous as it looks..

The brown 'un, is a comeback - I originally bought this as a project from Sheldon/MEHelper/AncientGuitarsAndHarps a few years back, gave it the gunstock oil finish and then stupidly sold it on at least twice.

Anyway, the last fella I sold it to was moving it on, so I bought it for the third time.

It is old and battered like a school desk, the frets are low and there are no pickups, but I'm still rather pleased and have got Marc at Mojo Pickups doing me a couple of Peter Green inspired 'Buckers for it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I almost like the blue one. Almost.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    Flipping love that brown one. Looks like it was pulled from the rubble of a demolished Victorian workhouse
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Looks like a GS made from proper wood for once!

Listen to your daughter ... Do not.  DO NOT.

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    The blue one reminds me of the yes logo. Nice.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Sporky said:
    I almost like the blue one. Almost.
    It is very sparkly up close, which was a surprise, but a nice one

DrBob said:
    Flipping love that brown one. Looks like it was pulled from the rubble of a demolished Victorian workhouse
    I'll do some better fotos once it has pickups - but up close it looks like an old desk complete with doodles...

TTony said:
    Looks like a GS made from proper wood for once!

Listen to your daughter ... Do not.  DO NOT.

;)
    I think it was the first time I owned it (ahem) I got in touch with GS and they said it would have been one from the mid 80s iirc - mahogany body and neck (the grain follows from one to the other amazingly) - and was probably a GS1 that has been routed for the neck pickup - but the serial number is long gone, so hard to be sure.. Tis definitely a plank in the finest sense :)

Couple more of the GS

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I does like them both. Nice GAS.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    I *LOVE* that GS.... 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    edited August 2013
    yChap said:
    Couple more of the GS

Certainly looks like it's had a life.

Next time you decide you want to rent it out for a short period, let me know.  Some wire wool, some oil & wax, couple of decent p'ups in there ... that has the potential for being a really nice guitar!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 1977
    You've gotta love a Lancashire-built guitar that looks as if it's had a half-track parked on it since the Suez crisis.  I still miss my GS

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

The best bit is that I think it has had a headstock repair at some point, and whoever  did it put a new GS logo on upside down...

And it's half the weight of the Dano.

@TTony That is after lots of walnut stain and tru-oil :)
    The stain brought out the gouges beautifully

@Mctoot - I'm sure there are tyre tracks on the back

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    That would look so ace next to my Sessionette - my amp looks like it was run over by a burning tank thanks to careful gigging.  ;)

One day I'll post a piccie of it... just to please ICBM.  ;) >:D<
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    nice :D
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    Loving the Gordon Smith!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    The School Desk GS is an absolute classic. I remember lusting after it the last couple of times you had it up for sale...

And that Dano is surprisingly cool!