Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Out of the ashes of Wizard Pickups, Please welcome Hot Rod Pickups. - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Out of the ashes of Wizard Pickups, Please welcome Hot Rod Pickups.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I suppose at that point you're weighing messing about with bands and separately packed screws with the fairly elegant solution of using the components to hold themselves together, at the unpacking end as well as the packing end.
    Though until you asked that was exactly what I thought.:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Do bevelled magnets actually make any difference, or is it just a looks thing?

It does look quite cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Also the flatwork material is not threaded, I would rather we started the thread off to finish the job so to speak, rather than someone get them wired in and then risk damaging things when wires are soldered and get tight, Although all comments taken on board and will be submitted to the comity.
  • Do bevelled magnets actually make any difference, or is it just a looks thing?

It does look quite cool.
    I agree it does look cool, but in our opinion does actually focus the the tone by putting out a more directional magnetic field, It is an incredibly labour intensive process though adding at least double the time to a build. Heres a quick demo of a set, please forgive my dodgy Hendrix impression :)

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Beveled magnets originally came about because of Leo Fender having difficulty in getting the sharp-edged magnets through his flatwork ... it's easy to get slack magnets that way. Also the magnets used then were very brittle grinding the edges hid the chips that ruined the look of the pickups. it's much more comfortable for the player as the edges of the mag don't slice his finger tips if he plays without a pick ... and it may have a slight focusing effect by changing the shape of the top end of the flux.
    I agree beveling is a pain in the bum ... and does put a hell of a lot on a build time ... ruin the odd magnet doing it too :-)
    Looks good mind.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 434
    Good luck guys!
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1628
    Rubber pickup tubing>springs.

:)
  • We are very proud to announce that the amazingly talented Jess Lewis (Eternal Guitars Endorsee) will be appearing at our launch on monday evening at The Vestry in Chichester, She will be playing from 8:30pm so get there early. Full range of Eternal guitars loaded with Hot Rod Pickups available for you jam with the house band on too.

• Lots of photos and lovely comments on our Facebook page about the launch, as well as some beautiful Eternal guitar, please check out :)

• mike257mike257 Frets: 363
    Lovely stuff, I have a set of Wizards in a bass (Thumper and custom wound 84 bridge) and they're bloody marvellous.  Was sad to hear Andy was retiring as he was always my go-to for this kind of thing so great to hear his work is being carried on!
  • Nice to hear Mike, Actually doing a set of 84s this morning :)
  • New video, The wonderful Mr Lewis Harding using the Hot Rod Revelation set in an Eternal S Type names "George"

• Check out Radio 2 now, Pete Callard using his custom shop strat loaded with Hot Rod Revelations and a Custom Hollow Tele we build with Vintage P90 Rev, single coil and HFT HB!

• I'm only down the road in Fareham - might have to pop in for a purchase at some point. I need some pickups with a bit more grunt for my strat.
  • Drop down Matt, we are working on a signature set for a well known UK session man that will do exactly that for you :)
    mail me on jon@hot-rodpickups.com for any info.

• Cheers will do :-)