Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pedal GAS- are these decent or am I just wasting my money? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pedal GAS- are these decent or am I just wasting my money?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022

I heard some clips of the B3 on Youtube and wasn't too fussed... though I suspect they were just crappy videos.

The Digitech does sound pretty good (though maybe a little digital) and hilarious.

Gah I dunno. I hate being indecisive. At least, I think I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    You should know better to judge guitar equipment than on youtube videos...

I'm not sure you can mark down a synth pedal for being a little digital... it's hardly going to be an 'organic' 'natural' sound?

Would it help if I record my bass making funny noises through my G3?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2014
    (a) You should know better to judge guitar equipment than on youtube videos...

(b) I'm not sure you can mark down a synth pedal for being a little digital... it's hardly going to be an 'organic' 'natural' sound?

(c) Would it help if I record my bass making funny noises through my G3?
    (a) Yeah, I know... :))

(b) Yeah that's true. You know what I mean, though, the (good) analogue stuff tends to sound/feel a little more natural than the (bad) digital stuff. But obviously it's not like I don't want it to change the natural tone of the instrument, as you said, that's kind of the point. :))

(c) No need, there were a bunch of vids on youtube, and I didn't watch them all yet. I'm sure if I look hard enough I can find one which does close enough to what I want. Thanks for the offer, though. :)
  • Dave_Mc;240840" said:
    chrispy108 said:

(a) You should know better to judge guitar equipment than on youtube videos...

(b) I'm not sure you can mark down a synth pedal for being a little digital... it's hardly going to be an 'organic' 'natural' sound?

(c) Would it help if I record my bass making funny noises through my G3?

(a) Yeah, I know... :))

(b) Yeah that's true. You know what I mean, though, the (good) analogue stuff tends to sound/feel a little more natural than the (bad) digital stuff. But obviously it's not like I don't want it to change the natural tone of the instrument, as you said, that's kind of the point. :))

(c) No need, there were a bunch of vids on youtube, and I didn't watch them all yet. I'm sure if I look hard enough I can find one which does close enough to what I want. Thanks for the offer, though. :)
    The guitar version of the Digitech synth wah sounds pretty amazing on bass. Ignore it at your peril :D

It's great fun, and oddly usable - we used to use it with a fuzz to play Hysteria, and on its own it was quite neat for Sir psycho sexy. Not the same, but it got the vibes going :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The guitar version of the Digitech synth wah sounds pretty amazing on bass.
    It's much better on bass than guitar, in fact. I don't know what the dedicated bass one is like - or if it's actually any different at all :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

:))

If they aren't any different the bass one is cheaper...

Any ideas on how to phrase the question if i were to email digitech? Sometimes it's hard getting a straight answer. :)) I suppose something along the lines of, "I play both guitar and bass and can only justify the one pedal, if I want to use the pedal with both guitar and bass, which would be better?"
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Another +1 for the Zoom B3 - it's all in there and good sounding too!
  • Dave_Mc said:

Any ideas on how to phrase the question if i were to email digitech? Sometimes it's hard getting a straight answer. :)) I suppose something along the lines of, "I play both guitar and bass and can only justify the one pedal, if I want to use the pedal with both guitar and bass, which would be better?"
    Ask them outright - it might just have a different input to let more bass through on hte bass one.  Just say, I'm after a synth sound for bass and saw your synth wah, I tried the guitar one and loved it, and was wondering what the differences were in circuitry?

Okay, mini fib in there, too ;)
    edited May 2014
    Kebabkid said:
    Another +1 for the Zoom B3 - it's all in there and good sounding too!
    Dave_Mc said:

Ask them outright - it might just have a different input to let more bass through on hte bass one.  Just say, I'm after a synth sound for bass and saw your synth wah, I tried the guitar one and loved it, and was wondering what the differences were in circuitry?

Okay, mini fib in there, too ;)
    LOL. Or I could just say (which is sort of true) I play both guitar and bass, and can only afford the one, and which would work better for both (but with more emphasis on bass)? That actually might be more useful too, not just from the point of it being vaguely true- it'd be handy to have one which I could use for both.

Yeah I'll email them once the weekend's over. In my experience emails sent at the weekend can get lost at the bottom of the pile. :))
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    @Dave_MC

At the risk of being cheeky, I'm selling a GLX LMB-3 clone if you still want one. ;)

No worries, I haven't decided on anything yet. At the price Thomann was selling it for (£15) I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth your while doing it for much less than that, though.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Crikey are they that cheap? I'll be keeping it then  :))
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    This has probably been answered already, but avoid the octave multiplexer. It's a nice sound, but it doesn't track fast enough for my money. I had one, then sold it quickly and replaced it for the maybe boring but way better Boss OC-2.
    edited May 2014
    Crikey are they that cheap? I'll be keeping it then  :))
    Yeah that's what I thought :)) No worries, I have pedals which I rarely use that I just hang onto because for all I'd get for them, I'd rather keep them too. :)
    GavHaus said:
    This has probably been answered already, but avoid the octave multiplexer. It's a nice sound, but it doesn't track fast enough for my money. I had one, then sold it quickly and replaced it for the maybe boring but way better Boss OC-2.
    Thanks. Yeah I think someone mentioned that already (maybe on Ultimate Guitar forum where I also asked this)- but having a second opinion definitely helps me to make up my mind. I'll probably hold off on an octave pedal until I've done more research- I'm not sure I'd use it all that much, anyway.
  • RamirezRamirez Frets: 11
    edited June 2014
    I'll chip in with another +1 for the Zoom B3.

If you need more than 2 pedals on top of a tuner it's definately a good option - it's about the same price as 2 decent stand alone pedals. It replaced all the pedals I was using, and left me some decent change from selling them all.

As mentioned, the flexibility is great - it can be used as a typical multi-fx with patches and silly noises where you don't know what the hell is going on and what's switching what, or it can just be set up as three independent 'pedals' with their own switch, and knobs that correspond to the graphics. 

It also sounds great. I think I marginally prefer the octavers on the B3 to the EHX Octave Multiplexer I used to have. Maybe. It certainly hasn't made me lament selling it anyway.
    Not the model boy of the village