Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Franklin Guitars - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Franklin Guitars

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
edited June 2019 in Acoustics
I'd not heard of them, but heard one being played at a performance this evening (acoustic, not amplified) and it was AMAZING 

http://www.franklinguitarcompany.com ;

I asked the guy about it - apparently his friend had had it made some years back then left it to him in his will when he died :-( 

Stunning sound (and well played) - anyone come across them before? 
"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    edited June 2019
    Not played one, but I know of the company.  Nick Kukich is the guy who pretty much single handedly brought back the OM shape to guitar building.  TAMCO had a few of his guitars in stock but I remember they'd sell long before they arrived.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    bloody hell tim, if you keep visiting folk clubs you're gonna need a bigger house!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Stunning guitars, wish I’d bought one years ago! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 763
    I know Stefan Grossman played a jumbo Franklin and John Renbourn had an OM. Grossman described his as being like a "new vintage guitar" in a TAB book of his I've got. 
  • fishfingersfishfingers Frets: 102
    I played Stefan's Franklin guitar at a workshop some years ago. Stunning guitar
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    edited June 2019
    Interesting. Hadn't come across them before.
    This was an OM-ish thing but looked shallower and like it had sharper Sobel-y shoulders 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    I know Stefan Grossman played a jumbo Franklin and John Renbourn had an OM. Grossman described his as being like a "new vintage guitar" in a TAB book of his I've got. 
    I was going to post a few videos of Renbourn playing his, the videos aren't the best quality but the playing is out of the world. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9Gd-SUDRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL2BxzwwLps
  • GTCGTC Frets: 241
    I came across a YouTube clip of the brilliant Clive Carroll playing a Franklin the other day. It sounded great - and so was his playing.
  • MichaelWattsMichaelWatts Frets: 181
    Nick Kukich's guitars are things of great beauty. I played John Renbourn's several times and I have a friend who owns a koa Franklin that's one of the best OM's I have ever played. 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 328
    @TimmyO, where did you see the guitar.  I know a chap who has a Franklin that was left him in a friends will.  Seems like a remarkable coincidence.  His name is Steve.
    BahHumbug said:
    @TimmyO, where did you see the guitar.  I know a chap who has a Franklin that was left him in a friends will.  Seems like a remarkable coincidence.  His name is Steve.
    I think this guy is called Steve too - saw him at Lechlade folk night then again in Swindon a couple of weeks later. He’s a lovely player too. 

BahHumbug said:
    That’s high praise given what you’ve had access to over the years! It certainly sounded a bit special from out front (which is not to detract from the player obv) 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 328
    Yes probably the same then.  I’m guessing the Lechlade folk night was at the Trout?
    BahHumbug said:
    Yes probably the same then.  I’m guessing the Lechlade folk night was at the Trout?
    Yep - I plan on going back but not been free since that first time 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    edited April 2023
    Resurrection 

I have one arriving on Tuesday!!  41years old 

OM Spruce Koa very excited indeed

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Trying to get the back on display?
    There we go phworrrr
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    I think I have the same book. Is it The Classic Rags of Scott Joplin?
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Damn looks amazing. 
    There will always be a better guitar lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter