Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). boss me20 opinions needed ? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

boss me20 opinions needed ?

What's Hot
marktheharpmarktheharp Frets: 87
edited August 2013 in FX
Hi there Guys and Gals .
Just been given a boss me 20.
Was gonna just use it for open Mic,straight into p.a.
Not had chance to fiddle with it yet!
This thing is compact and light.
Anyone used one and any tips please ?
Cheers Mark .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• anyone any opinions please ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited August 2013
    Not used the ME-20, but I did use the ME-50 for that if no-one else has any specific input.

Most important, you can't use the normal outputs directly into the desk if you're using any overdrive or distortion - they don't have speaker emulation on them and it will sound like playing a kazoo at the bottom of a dustbin. You'll need to use the headphone jack - I'm pretty sure you can use a standard mono cable in it but you'll only get the left side of the stereo effects (not usually a problem, since the PA mix will normally be mono anyway).

If you can, set it up by running it through your hi-fi, if you can find any way of connecting it - that will give a much more accurate idea of what it will sound like through the PA than a guitar amp or headphones. Second best is headphones. Or if you have an acoustic or keyboard amp with full-range speakers you could use that.

It's probably not a good idea to use the reverb on it unless you want a specific 'effect' reverb like a surf-guitar sound - leave the soundman to add 'room ambience' reverb at the desk, that way it will work better with the vocals since there won't be two different reverb sounds.

Be careful if you're planning to switch between clean and dirty sounds on the fly - the relative levels may be seem very different at the venue from at home, and you could end up with a severe jump in level whenever you turn it on or off which won't make the soundman happy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• thanks for the detailed input ...
    I will do exactly that, headphones output for.P.A.
    would just.use basic drive and delay to colour my sound? I have a Korg Ax1500G ,that has some great delay and reverb, but this Me20 is so much more compact and runs off batteries if needed !
    thanks again for reply
    cheers Mark.
  • used my me20 at open Mic Wed night !
    was more than adequate,through Pub P.A. :-)
    used the standard mono output ,turned down till got levels sorted .
    pretty good for what it is and even used pre-set patch with crunch and wah.I had.stored/ set earlier at home.
    so to summarize ,well happy !
    cheers Mark .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter