Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Doug Aldrich's technique of not holding the guitar like a tennis racquet - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Doug Aldrich's technique of not holding the guitar like a tennis racquet

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10211
edited August 2013 in Technique
is nice.
Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    I prefer not holding a tennis raket like a guitar

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    me no understand?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited August 2013
    ??? :-? @-)

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    He doesn't grip the neck, you never see his thumb poking out when he's playing near the top. He plays like a violinist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Ahhhh ....... interesting. 
    Lol :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    viz;23088" said:
    He doesn't grip the neck, you never see his thumb poking out when he's playing near the top. He plays like a violinist.
    and its no mean feat playing with the guitar under your chin.
    8-}
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ;)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    the sad thing is it took me longer to work out which spelling of feat/ feet to use than to write that comment. IIRC Tom McGuiness from the Blues Band uses a fairly strict thumb behind approach which looks distinctly odd in that kind of context.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 648
    Fairly typical for those who have their roots in the '80s
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 306
    I think he has some problem with his hand-fingers which is possibly why he places his left hand the way he does.
    trying to  find a link..
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    Worth posting this then ..... I play in a similar way as I started on classical so I'm not a 'thumb over the top' guy. That's where all similarities between me and Doug end ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!

@catthan - remind me, what are hand-fingers again?

:)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 306
    viz;36345" said:
    @catthan - remind me, what are hand-fingers again?:)
    hand and/ or fingers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • viz;36345" said:
    @catthan - remind me, what are hand-fingers again?:)
    they're the ones that aren't your foot-fingers.
    X_X
  • Fretwired said:
    Worth posting this then ..... I play in a similar way as I started on classical so I'm not a 'thumb over the top' guy. That's where all similarities between me and Doug end ....

Admirable technique but so "meh" I only just managed to bring myself to comment.
    Still of the night from that concert is amazing though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    Beach >> Aldrich
    True.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    RedRabbit said:
    Fretwired said:

Admirable technique but so "meh" I only just managed to bring myself to comment.
    Totally agree, and not only was  the playing simply showing off with nothing to say, but the tone was shocking, especially when he played more quietly, horribly fizzy.
  • TunezTunez Frets: 15
    viz said:
    Awesome.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2148
    tFB Trader
    Is the thumb-behind technique now so rare that it's worth commenting on? :-/