Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Questions about Bass playing - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Questions about Bass playing

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    More expensive to clean it up properly than it's worth, probably.

Still, you have learned something useful - you don't like P-Bass necks. So you should probably look for a J instead. If you still want the sound of a P-Bass, they did make a model with a P body, P/J pickup set and a J neck width, but I think it was only in a more expensive series.

Or there was a Mark Hoppus signature J-Bass which has a P pickup - I'm pretty sure they did a Squier as well as a Fender version. (They did with the matching Tom Delonge Strat.) It comes in fetching pastel colours too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    ICBM said:
    Still, you have learned something useful - you don't like P-Bass necks. So you should probably look for a J instead. If you still want the sound of a P-Bass, they did make a model with a P body, P/J pickup set and a J neck width, but I think it was only in a more expensive series.

Yeah, that much is true.  The P-Bass is not for me.  The exercise was not a waste of time.  I found out today that bass strings are considerably more costly than guitar strings.  Presumably they last longer.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Rocker said:
    Yeah, that much is true.  The P-Bass is not for me.  The exercise was not a waste of time.  I found out today that bass strings are considerably more costly than guitar strings.  Presumably they last longer.
    Forever :). I've never changed a set of bass strings once I was happy I'd got the right ones. I change basses more often, and I've had this one for several years now.

Although I normally get a couple of years out of a set of guitar strings too ;). (Maybe not acoustics, they do go dead a bit quicker.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    Rocker said:
    Forever :). I've never changed a set of bass strings once I was happy I'd got the right ones. I change basses more often, and I've had this one for several years now.

Although I normally get a couple of years out of a set of guitar strings too ;). (Maybe not acoustics, they do go dead a bit quicker.)
    WHAT?! How?! My strings last for about a month before they're a bit pants sounding, and 2 months before they're pretty bad, 3 and there are more horrible overtones than actual note almost!

Bass strings, yeah, a few years at least.  They sound a bit crap when they're new, it takes a good few days of slapping before they wear in, and a few weeks before I'm happy with the thumpiness.  Then, they just last until... Well, they last! I've never replaced a set, but only had the bass for 4 years or so.  
    ThePrettyDamned said:

WHAT?! How?! My strings last for about a month before they're a bit pants sounding, and 2 months before they're pretty bad, 3 and there are more horrible overtones than actual note almost!
    I keep them clean.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited August 2014
    ICBM said:
    Or there was a Mark Hoppus signature J-Bass which has a P pickup - I'm pretty sure they did a Squier as well as a Fender version. (They did with the matching Tom Delonge Strat.) It comes in fetching pastel colours too :).
    Doesn't it have a p-neck?

(been going through my old guitar mags in a fit of cleaning, came across that review the other night :)) )

EDIT: yeah i just looked up the fender site. its nut width is 41.3mm

and who says fender has too many confusing quite similar sections? in the bass section, you can select by series. they have an artist series. another artist series (same exact word, seriously). and then "artist models".

to add insult to injury, it has the mark hoppus in the jazz bass section, despite its neck saying "precision bass".

hmmm.
    ICBM said:

YAY

I change guitar strings as little as possible, too. Admittedly mainly because I suck at it so much I normally just end up getting pissed off and swearing a lot (though I think I've got the hang of it now, thank goodness for youtube :)) )

Funnily enough, I think the strings went dead on my Vigier bass. Far faster than I notice strings going bad on my guitars. Haven't got round to changing them yet (though I have a spare set here). I think it might be partly because my ears are so used to guitar that I still like a bit of treble even in the bass sound, and there's so little there even at the start that any reduction in the treble, even a little, annoys me. :))
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Rocker said:
    ICBM said:

I've got a bass I've had for twenty years... and I've never changed the strings!! :D
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1239
    ICBM said:
    There is an Indonesian-made Squier 'Precision Bass' exactly like this - I have one. Cost me £150 s/h from the Bass Centre.

Dave_Mc said:
    ICBM said:
    Doesn't it have a p-neck?

(been going through my old guitar mags in a fit of cleaning, came across that review the other night :)) )

and who says fender has too many confusing quite similar sections? in the bass section, you can select by series. they have an artist series. another artist series (same exact word, seriously). and then "artist models".

to add insult to injury, it has the mark hoppus in the jazz bass section, despite its neck saying "precision bass".

My mate bought one of them. Definitely a precision neck. Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder pickup with no tone control. Horrible (at least to me) paint job and scratchplate.
    Dave_Mc said:

Ah, my mistake - the one I played seemed to have a fairly narrow neck, but that's just by old P-Bass standards, it's the same as the modern P-Bass.

I would still *call* it a Jazz bass though, because of the body shape.

There is an Indonesian-made Squier 'Precision Bass' exactly like this - I have one. Cost me £150 s/h from the Bass Centre.
    That's the one. I thought it was a bit more expensive than that - presumably around £225 new if it was £150 second hand.

edited August 2014
    ^ No worries. Just complete coincidence I happened to read the article recently and it stuck in my head.

Yeah it's probably a jazz bass because of the body. Slightly weird it says "precision bass" on it, though (though i understand why). :))
    Dave_Mc said:
    ^ No worries. Just complete coincidence I happened to read the article recently and it stuck in my head.

Yeah it's probably a jazz bass because of the body. Slightly weird it says "precision bass" on it, though (though i understand why). :))
    It is a bit stupid! The model is officially called a 'Mark Hoppus Jazz Bass', despite saying Precision Bass on the headstock. Confused? You will be...

edited August 2014
    Yeah that's what I was thinking :)) Guitar (and by extension bass) doesn't exactly have the most logical naming system. Maybe Fender's doing it to stay true to what they did back in the day! Vintage accuracy i.e. inaccuracy :D