Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 2019 (Bristol) South West Jam Song List Discussion - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

2019 (Bristol) South West Jam Song List Discussion

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Brocco said:
    Steve Winwood - Arc Of A Diver 
    Interesting choice. (It is always nice to get some Vivian Stanshall material aired.)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My suggestions of Iron Man and Alive are perhaps a bit ambitious... the arrangements aren’t simple unless your really familiar with them, and I’m not certain I could pull them off with a band. Shall I suggest some more or wait for others? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    My suggestions of Iron Man and Alive are perhaps a bit ambitious... the arrangements aren’t simple unless your really familiar with them, and I’m not certain I could pull them off with a band. Shall I suggest some more or wait for others? 
    Yeah man I'm totally into doing some iron man! Classic. What about ace of spades?? If we're on proto-metal

1979 smashing pumpkins could be fun, that's my vocal range 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    My suggestions of Iron Man and Alive are perhaps a bit ambitious
    Ambitious is good. Better to fail in an attempt to play something tricky than to be timid and, literally, play safe on every song on the list.

Different attendees require different challenges. There must be plenty of Pop and Rock three-chord trick songs that would segue into each other. The transitions between them are ideal opportunities for different contributors to take a solo. 
    Be seeing you.
  • roberty said:
    My suggestions of Iron Man and Alive are perhaps a bit ambitious... the arrangements aren’t simple unless your really familiar with them, and I’m not certain I could pull them off with a band. Shall I suggest some more or wait for others? 
    Yeah man I'm totally into doing some iron man! Classic. What about ace of spades?? If we're on proto-metal

1979 smashing pumpkins could be fun, that's my vocal range 

Ok cool, lets do ironman!

1979’s a good choice, do you tune down to Eb as on the record?

• My suggestions of Iron Man and Alive are perhaps a bit ambitious
    Ambitious is good. Better to fail in an attempt to play something tricky than to be timid and, literally, play safe on every song on the list.

Different attendees require different challenges. There must be plenty of Pop and Rock three-chord trick songs that would segue into each other. The transitions between them are ideal opportunities for different contributors to take a solo. 
    Ok, sounds good. I’ll give em a go if anyone else is up for them. I like your positive attitude! I’ve put myself up for a few now, I‘ll wait to see which ones the curators choose. 
    My attitude is that, if subscribers network with each other at this stage, they should arrive at the event thoroughly prepared. 

The event has to cater for a range of abilities. The degree of difficulty will vary during the day. It would be nice to begin with something impressive. 
    Be seeing you.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited April 2019
    My attitude is that, if subscribers network with each other at this stage, they should arrive at the event thoroughly prepared. 

The event has to cater for a range of abilities. The degree of difficulty will vary during the day. It would be nice to begin with something impressive. 
    From experience it’s good to start with something simple, and maybe slightly shambolic, but end with something impressive. That way the newcomers don’t think “ oh shit, everyone’s better than me” before they’ve even played a chord, but go away inspired to get better having felt at ease about their playing.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    Something else that we need to consider is the skills workshop that @Alnico has kindly offered to run, how this relates to the final tracklist, running order et al.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4610
    edited April 2019
    Brocco said:
    Something else that we need to consider is the skills workshop that @Alnico has kindly offered to run, how this relates to the final tracklist, running order et al.
    That's what I was going to discuss with you this weekend.

A loose sketch of it could be that those who want to sit in for the workshop, do so first while those who don't want or need to watch a lesson, go and perform.
    Then when the workshop is finished, those who've sat through it can go and use what they just learned and perform themselves.

That's just a rough idea, I'm happy to work around whatever people want.

I was looking at 1 hour, split into 15 minute "modules" for want of a better word, with an ensemble jam for 20 minutes at the end, using as much of what we've been talking about and explaining as possible.

I *can* make that longer, quite easily in fact but I'm wary of it being "too much" for some.
    At the end of the session if anyone wants to go back over something 1-2-1 or wants to know more about a subject, I'll be free for that too.
    My aim for the day there is to run this workshop and help out across the board.
    Unless needed I won't be performing.
    mrkb said:
    ... the newcomers don’t think “ oh shit, everyone’s better than me” 
    Must be just me, then. I want other players to be better than me otherwise I get complacent and lazy.

mrkb said:
    start with something simple and, maybe, slightly shambolic
    I can do that. Gi's a job!

I don't mind starting from cold so long as everyone else can tolerate a few clams. The rest of the time, I would prefer to be doing a bass version of Alnico's workshop idea.

Be seeing you.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    mrkb said:
    is there a list/google sheet of what’s proposed so far?
    There is a list. It resides in an Excel spreadsheet in my Mac. At present, to look at the spreadsheet for very long risks snow blindness.

I do not subscribe to Google. Therefore, I cannot provide a Google sheet.
    get it to someone who can - getting folk collaborating/feeling like they are part of things is how these things work best :-)
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    mart said:

or:
    All right now
    Free (Fire and Water album version)
    Lead guitar or bass
    No vocals, I cannot sing this
    A

I can probably sing that.

Could also add Born to Be Wild - I can sing and do a simplified rhythm part (simplified cos I'm busy singing lol) 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    edited April 2019
    TimmyO said:
    get it to someone who can - getting folk collaborating/feeling like they are part of things is how these things work best :-)
    Okay.

Does anybody want to host the Song List as a Google Sheet? I would prefer that a willing person volunteered than impose on @mrkb ;without asking first.
    Be seeing you.
    I’m happy to stick it on googlesheets and keep it updated. Once the days songs have been agreed I’ll create a Spotify playlist and link that as well.

will PM you tonight.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Thank you, Mark. 

I can send the Excel spreadsheet as an .xlxs e-mail attachment.
    Be seeing you.
    mrkb said:
    I’m happy to stick it on googlesheets and keep it updated. Once the days songs have been agreed I’ll create a Spotify playlist and link that as well.

will PM you tonight.
    nice one

could add paid-up attendees as editors to allow folk to add stuff direct? 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2202
    TimmyO said:
    mrkb said:

will PM you tonight.
    nice one

only paid up attendees, mind
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2202

fandango said:
    TimmyO said:
    mrkb said:

will PM you tonight.
    nice one

only paid up attendees, mind
    and Alnico.
    I see what you did there.  =)
    Be seeing you.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Ok I paid !...Im in...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 

OK, current song suggestions listed here:-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hSy_Jj1QRBDN2J891bAiarYNVKkkcH7RhTGFzQMCnAI/edit?usp=sharing

Spotify playlist of suggestions:-

https://open.spotify.com/user/mrkb/playlist/6kuy5a0gJWq4oVVX2BFgIk?si=5AM2BJKrTdi-6ww6AvBhDQhttp://

Are there any that have been suggested so far that are missing?

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    PM'd you about that.
    Be seeing you.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    edited April 2019
    I'm going to suggest...Get the Funk Out by Extreme (guitar, in G) and Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth (guitar, E). And no I can't sing Something simpler - You Really Got Me (the VH version in A). Do I need to stick those in the spreadsheet?

Happy to help out on guitar/bass for anyone else on whatever too   @mrkb for info!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    @Vibetronic I'm up for doing the Megadeth one on bass
    roberty said:
    @Vibetronic I'm up for doing the Megadeth one on bass
    that'd be ace, thanks :)
    edited April 2019

As of 21:30 yesterday, the song list became available as a Google Sheet.

It is hosted by Mark Blagdon. Only he can grant editing permission.

Just to complicate matters, as thread starter, I still receive all of the Discussion posting notifications. To draw the attention of Mark to your song list nominations, I suggest that you tag him in this Discussion. That way, it should be self-evident to him when song list edits are required.

Go for it.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Anyone can turn on notification and you should be able to turn them off 
    TimmyO said:
    you should be able to turn them off 
    Only globally. I cannot select individual Discussions.
    Be seeing you.
    cool, I've tagged mark in my post :)