Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 'Earing Protection - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

'Earing Protection

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    I use a very basic in-ear set-up:

A pair of very cheap noise-cancelling earbuds, into a looooong minijack extension lead, into a Behringer headphone amp which takes a monitor feed from our desk, and also allows a throughput of my mic to allow my vocals to be independently adjusted in my mix to my requirements.

Sound quality isn't great BUT i can hear what I am playing, and the noise-cancelling aspect means I don't have to have the volume especially loud to drown out the onstage volume.

Only down side is that it's not a wireless solution, so I have a cable trailing down my back which needs to be secured against my person using tape or else it all weighs down too much and pulls the earbuds from my ears.

Cheap and cheerful, but as an intro to in-ear monitoring, it is one of those "never going back" moments of revelation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7928
    I still don't trust myself with owning expensive custom plugs.  I'm using Alpine Music Safe Pro earplugs, I have two sets just in case I lose the main set (which I have done once already this year).  For the samba band I'm in the gold filters are perfect, the less highs the better.  I alternate between the silver and white filters for my rock band, just depends how big the room will be and how far away I will be from the kit.  Bloody drummers eh!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    edited May 2014
    Yes, we need to look after our ears, it's the best piece of equipment we own.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752

I used to use a similar thing to @RocknRollDave but refined it into this :

The box takes a stereo feed from the PA and a pass through for the guitar amp and sends all the signals down the same piece of cable. Just before the lead plugs into the guitar there's a breakout box for my IEM's to plug into.

So only one cable but no batteries to worry about, no interference to wireless signal or wireless drop outs. Just pristine audio. If your on guitar and use a cable this system makes the most sense. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter