Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Posting pictures ~ a little help - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Posting pictures ~ a little help

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited December 2017 in Help & Feedback

Updated July 2017

Current advice is:

do NOT use Photobucket ***, it has too many issues (see links below).
and has now blocked 3rd party hosting !!!

1.  Use IMGUR as it appears to be the simplest, most reliable and spam/pop-up free service.
     a very helpful and full pictorial guide written by RaymondLin  is here >  Imgur

2.  Make sure you photo is a reasonable size,
    ideally something less than 1mb and preferably less than 1000 pixels wide, it is kinder on everyones data allowance, etc, if you do.

3.  Use the "DIRECT link (email & IM)", it is the one who's file ends .jpg 
    (do not use the others as they may not / will not display properly.)

4.  Use the "attach image file" button in the tool bar above the text editor box, paste the Direct link (.jpg) address in there.
    *Ensure the attach image box is completely clear before pasting
(adding a "space" after the address may help in posting in the box on a mobile device, see INDEX for Imgur and other hosting services specifics)

5.  Refresh your browser to see that your image has been posted successfully.

You can try a test post here
  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17284/test-posts#latest

note ~ posting from mobile devices has always been problematic, give it a try, if you know how to make it work, please add some guidance to this thread to help others.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
PB
3rd party hosting is now blocked from their free accounts, best not to use it at all is the current forum wisdom ~ July 2017

*** IF you must use PhotoBucket - and the best advice is NOT TO - then:

Advice note ~ possibly the correct way to currently post Photobucket pics (Oct 2016) thanks to WezV :
(see ~  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1239301/#Comment_1239301)

"for this pic i will right click on the pic in photobucket, copy the image address and add it using the attach image button on this here text editor"

"Those who just paste a link in the text editor always show as links on the mobile version, even when privately hosted."

& paul_c2 said ~ "The issue isn't simply Photobucket; its people not posting links to pictures in a consistent way"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Pictures, etc, are not hosted on the forum directly, due to the obvious storage capacity overhead that would impose on our "free to use" resource that this place provides.  The solution is to link to the image files hosted elsewhere on the net.  There is an index in the next post which will take you to some site specific advice.  I will try to keep this current, but bear in mind it may not be a complete resource, it is provided "as is".

note: you may have issues posting from a tablet or mobile, but, hey, it's always worth trying anyway.
Also make sure your album / images are public.

Pictures always get interest and help a sale, so are a must for the classifieds.

Posting videos and pictures is an important part of forum life, so it's well worth checking out the guidance offered by our members.

If you can add to the knowledge pool, please do feel free to contribute.

Enjoy forum life, this is a great community to be a part of  

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Chris
(April 2014)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Why is this thread in tatters, I hear you ask ?

" [admin edit]  ~ Oct 2015 ~
This thread is now superseeded by (and a lot of its former content has been moved to) this thread. "

Whilst a good idea to host it that way, there seem to be a number of ongoing issues, so...

Well, I have continued to update the index section when new issues are apparent, with links to the relevant threads and guides, and I will attempt to keep it as current as possible in the future.

So many people are having real problems, especially since the text editor update in the latter half of 2016, that I thought I would resurrect and re-publish this "How To".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2018
    Index

updated Dec 2017

Current advice is:
    do NOT use Photobucket ***, it has too many issues (see links below).
    and has now stopped supporting 3rd party hosting as of 29 June 2017 !
    caution ~ Photobucket is back (maybe) (Jan 2018)

You can try a test post here >

Please note that although this thread is very disjointed after the admin team have edited the advice out, but most of it is contained in the index links above, along with some other threads covering more recent discussions, I hope this helps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2014
    There seems to be a bit of confusion about some other hosts.

Can anyone help by adding some instructions or guidance here?

Flickr seems to cause some folk problems, so that one would help.

How do you guys using Flickr and others do it ?

BTW if you want to find this again - just look in the NEW General Index near the top of page 1.
             or at the top of the Guitars section in the Classified

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I prefer imgur.com for hosting, it's super easy and there's even an app.
    Thanks for that @RaymondLin.

I would be grateful if you could you just put the steps down in words here please, in case anyone is not sure how to use it, or has any problems.

Posting pics seems to cause a lot of issues, especially from mobile devices, but also from good old laptops & PCs too, so the more step by step info the better it will be for an image rich environment on theFretBoard.   Thanks  :)

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I'll make a guide for you guys later when I get home. :)
    edited December 2017
    Brilliant, image rich instructions for Imgur in the two posts above, very nicely done.

edit: posts moved into their own thread

Imgur
    Imgur (further advice)

Thanks for doing that
    @RaymondLin, a great contribution to our knowledge base.
    Hopefully they will make it easier for people on here to post images, and to have a few more hosting choices too.   

BTW, that is such a nice blue PRS, and a great image too.

• when i post from an ipad and i press preview all i see is the direct link post to the photobucket page.. If i go ahead and post will this upload the pic at this stage? I did not want to post a page of links.. ta
    edited October 2014
    Hey there @frictionfraction sorry for the late response,  I really can't be much help with that, I don't even have a tablet let alone an iPad, but I think there are problems with mobile devices, and sometimes with hosting and mobile devices too.  Did you get it sorted OK ?  If you did then maybe you could tell us how ?  I am sure you are not alone with that problem.

Although I started this discussion, it is really up to the guys and gals of the forum to help out and hopefully post nuggets of wisdom when they find out how to do something, or to help a fellow forumite out if they know how to do stuff.

To save filling your post with links, either just go back and edit (remember to refresh your browser after posting to see the pic rather than the link) or make use of the test page kindly donated by admin for just this sort of thing.  Maybe edit it to tidy up when you are done ?

You can try a test post here >
    I have added this to the index at the top for easy reference.

Unfortunately it only seems to get looked at by people like yourself who have a problem, which after all is what it is here for.

It would be so nice if a few more could report back with a quick "how to" even if it's a bit rough, like most of mine are anyway.
    Or a few more folk could share their knowledge here maybe ?

Let's pick on @TTony -  what do you use for image hosting, and how easy is it to size for the forum and post here ?

• Thanks Chris Although when you enter the address and refresh it does not show the pic when you go on and post it does come through so people solved for me. Paul
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Let's pick on @TTony -  what do you use for image hosting, and how easy is it to size for the forum and post here ?
    Don't pick on him, he's useless.

Actually, I use Picasa for managing my uploading and web hosting.  All free and really simple to embed images into the forum.  I should do a proper guide ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Hey @TTony - yes please, that would be great.

Maybe you could comment about privacy settings, I know nothing about all this, but I think it does trip some people up.

Is there anyone on here who can cast some light on Flickr ?

And also on that thorny and recurrent problem of posting from mobile devices ?

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I'll try to do it tomorrow.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.

Thanks for the "how to" on Drop Box @Chalky, it has always been problematic on here, nice to have a guide now  :)

edited May 2017
    Current advice is:
    do NOT use Photobucket ***, it has too many issues (see links in the index link below).

1.  Use IMGUR as it appears to be the simplest, most reliable and spam/pop-up free service.
         a very helpful and full pictorial guide written by @RaymondLin  is here >  Imgur

2.  Make sure you photo is a reasonable size,
        ideally something less than 1mb and preferably less than 1000 pixels wide, it is kinder on everyones data allowance, etc, if you do.

3.  Use the "DIRECT link (email & IM)", it is the one who's file ends .jpg 
        (do not use the others as they may not / will not display properly.)

4.  Use the "attach image file" button in the tool bar above the text editor box, paste the Direct link (.jpg) address in there.
        *Ensure the attach image box is completely clear before pasting
    (adding a "space" after the address may help in posting in the box on a mobile device, see INDEX for Imgur and other hosting services specifics)

5.  Refresh your browser to see that your image has been posted successfully.

You can try a test post here
      http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17284/test-posts#latest

note ~ posting from mobile devices has always been problematic, give it a try, if you know how to make it work, please add some guidance to this thread to help others.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

*** IF you must use PhotoBucket - and the best advice is NOT TO - then:
    Advice note ~ possibly the correct way to currently post Photobucket pics (Oct 2016) thanks to @WezV ;;;; :
    (see ~  http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1239301/#Comment_1239301)

"for this pic i will right click on the pic in photobucket, copy the image address and add it using the attach image button on this here text editor"

"Those who just paste a link in the text editor always show as links on the mobile version, even when privately hosted."

& @paul_c2 ;;;; said ~ "The issue isn't simply Photobucket; its people not posting links to pictures in a consistent way"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

>>> Go To INDEX >>>

edited February 2017
    There are far too many discussions on the forum at the moment with either NO PICTURES, and how the hell do any of you expect to sell something the rest of us can't see.

Or just links, even from desk tops / lap tops, and lots of us just plain can't be arsed to go through the hoops of clicking on loads of links in our evenings catchup on forum life  (what, you mean you are doing it all on work time  
    :o   )

So that's missed pictures of you live, your bed gear, that great guitar or amp you desperately want to sell to feed the voracious GAS monster, all never to be seen by most of us, your best audience and target market  !

• Imgur query thread on posting from mobile devices

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/96218/imgur-query#latest

• ...   So that's missed pictures of you live, *your bed gear*, that great guitar or amp you desperately want to sell to feed the voracious GAS monster...
    I think that should have been "your best gear" !

Don't you just love autoerrect autocorrect?
    Bed gear? ~ just no, it's not that sort of thread !    :-O

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    TIP: if you use TinyPic make plenty of ALBUMS or when you go back to look for a saved pic you spend ages trawling through the slow refersh pages.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    OneDrive:

(advice from @Trude ~ thanks for posting ~ see link below)

For anyone who's interested, I did this:
    • From the browser view of my OneDrive files, I right clicked on the image, and selected "Embed"
    • Press the "Generate" button
    • Selected "Large" from the pic size dropdown (original size ended up stretched)
    • Selected "Include html tags"
    • Copied the html and then pasted it into the post editor in html view
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/99729/how-to-post-images-from-onedrive#latest

edited March 2017
    If anyone could tell me why I can never see the images on Google service links I would be grateful.

If I ever click on https: //goo.gl/photos/ link, for instance, all I see is a blank empty page !

Is the world keeping something from me I wonder ?

:-??

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    here's a visual way to show how to find a direct link to an image and add it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks for that @markblack  :)

An update to Google / Picassa from @TTony (hope you don't mind me re-posting it here)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    "I've given up trying to get my pics on Picasa / Google Photos to post on here.

In the original days of Picasa, everything worked simply and smoothly.  Since Google canned Picasa and migrated everyone to Google Photos, embedding pics here has been impossible from that source - and all the old links broke too.

But I stuck with Google Photos - until this morning - for 2 reasons.  First was the (in vain) hope that Google would actually get it sorted out.  Second was that I dreaded moving all my photos across to another service.

I've just moved across to Flickr.  Thanks to cloudsfer the process was absolutely painless.  It's a cloud-to-cloud migration service that's free for up to 5Gb of content.  It doesn't support *every* cloud service, but it does support Google Photos and Flickr.  Hence my choice of Flickr as my new image host."

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/99828/picasa-google-photos-and-posting-photos-here#latest

Useful advice in Yetti 'Nuvva Imgur thread here, and also in the updated   >INDEX<

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/103361/imgur-why#latest

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1309
    edited April 2018
    Update:  postimg.org seems to be having some issue and the domain has changed to https://postimg.cc
    • Select a picture and click the Share button:

• Copy the "Direct link" URL, or click on the blue and white icon on the far right to copy the link:

• On this site, click on the image icon, and paste the link into the box:

• Your picture appears:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks @bodhi , that's a very useful pictorial guide to posting.org.

We could do with more interaction, advice and guides from the FretBoarders like this, so very helpful all round, cheers.

I will add it to the 
    updated   >INDEX<

Rather nice LP faded you have there too.  Is that Darren's old one by any chance ?

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1309
    @ChrisMusicyou're very welcome.

Yep - that's the Standard Faded I got from Darren.
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107159/photobucket-blocked-3rd-party-hosting#latest

Sounds like PhotoBucket may have signed it's own death warrant !

main index updated

This post is taken from the "PB blocked 3rd party hosting" thread linked above.  I have "borrowed it for the sake of completeness and telling the current story, and keeping it in context in this thread (and which so far has stood the test of time quite well)...

Neil said:
    WezV said:
    The other issue is all those old threads with PB links. 
    Most of mine are going to be screwed, and I don't have time to re-do all the links  
    Will all historic posts lose their pics? Complete drag if it does.
    andyp said:
    There was a thread about this on another forum I use (on motorbikes) yesterday and there's loads of project threads and general threads that will now be pretty useless, but it's the peril of using third party hosts for anything.

There must be something better out there... End result of all this is simply that I barely ever post photos on forums as it's such a faff. 

This whole issue of historic threads loosing their pictures really devalues the whole forum IMO, or at least the usefulness of forum content as a reference, and hence the worth of posting in the first place.

(especially build threads which are of necessity going to be pic heavy, i.e. @WezV , @Rabs , and others)

@digitalscream ~ Lee, I doubt there is much you and the other "founding fathers" can do about this situation, and I know Tony is taking some needed respite ATM, but you guys may want to have a bit of a conflab, and formulate some sort of policy in regard to the effect PhotoBucket's reckless behaviour will have on the massive amount of hard work and time all of you have graciously invested in making this place the undoubted success it is.

I wish I had some sort of useful suggestion to offer, I have done my best with the "Posting Pics ~ a little help" thread to keep abreast of hosting foibles and encouraging people to keep visual content in their threads, but this problem is an order of magnitude beyond any of that.  Let me know if I can do anything to help.