Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Water Rats April 19 - Song List - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Water Rats April 19 - Song List

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    munckee said:
    There was a car crash, right?

Please tell me there was a car crash....
    Oh yeah. I did it for you man! : )
    Phew. 

Karma is still good then. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Right, I e just seen that this isn't on 19th April.  Just saw the first post and got over-excited.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    Sounds like you all had a great time yesterday, I certainly did last year.

Hoping to tempt some of you along to the Bristol jam on 8th June, which like Water Rats, we hope to make an annual thing.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/152257/south-west-jam-factory-studios-bristol-edition-8th-june-2019#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 1977
    It was a really top day chaps. Big thanks to @munckee and all those that helped to organise. It certainly benefitted from fewer people, fewer songs, though that did mean I had to 'sing' You Shook Me... not once but twice, which can never be a good thing. 

Highlights for me are numerous. @peteri 's stash generally was a delight to behold, but the 54 gold top made me think very hard about how much I would get if I put my daughters up for sale on the Darkweb...

Then there was the 69 Plexi brought in by the chap whose name I've completely forgotten. That thing was monstrous. I sat in front of it, unattentuated and dimed and let rip. It melted my face. In fact Mrs McToot commented on my return how my wrinkled face seemed somehow smoother...

The 12-string Tele partscaster was also really interesting.

I was bouncing when I got home. As my kids used to say when they were little: "Again, again, again!"

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited April 2019
    McToot said:

Then there was the 69 Plexi brought in by the chap whose name I've completely forgotten. That thing was monstrous. I sat in front of it, unattentuated and dimed and let rip. It melted my face. In fact Mrs McToot commented on my return how my wrinkled face seemed somehow smoother...
    That was @Winny_Pooh - if he’s out of the cooler yet  . Come on @bridgehouse - FREE THE WOKING ONE!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Gear wise I was relishing playing the 64 strat as I'm a fender head, but that 330 @peteri brought was my favourite guitar   If I could play it like @lovestrat74 I would sell all my gear and my car, buy it and a 50s champ and spend the rest of my days sitting on my porch playing the blues. 

Also @mrkb  volume boost gizmo  was brilliant
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2843
    munckee said:
    Gear wise I was relishing playing the 64 strat as I'm a fender head, but that 330 @peteri brought was my favourite guitar   If I could play it like @lovestrat74 I would sell all my gear and my car, buy it and a 50s champ and spend the rest of my days sitting on my porch playing the blues. 

Also @mrkb  volume boost gizmo  was brilliant
    The Gibson 330 was the nicest sounding guitar, exactly what you would hope for from a hollow body. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    mrkb said:
    McToot said:

That was @Winny_Pooh - if he’s out of the cooler yet  . Come on @bridgehouse - FREE THE WOKING ONE!
    He is out of the cooler now. As well as various issues with the cooler system as described in the Admin interventions thread, Mrs B accidentally took the cooler keys with her when she went out shopping. This meant that I had to suffer with a bunch of keys that apparently only unlocked jewellery boxes and a mysterious door marked “previous crimes filing room” and Mrs B got some nice new drapes for the cooler. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Following the blood letting over money which followed last years jam I said I would publish accounts, we took £312 in total and everyone paid, @mctoot you paid on 7th december, thats my birthday perhaps I thought it was a gift : ).  

I have sent back @customkits money today as unless he is very small or was hiding in @soma1975 marshall combo then he didn't show.

I paid the drummer with the rest meaning overall a loss of £4 which I have deducted from munckee jr's pocket money to teach her a lesson - kids need lessons.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    munckee said:
    Following the blood letting over money which followed last years jam I said I would publish accounts, we took £312 in total and everyone paid, @mctoot you paid on 7th december, thats my birthday perhaps I thought it was a gift : ).  

I have sent back @customkits money today as unless he is very small or was hiding in @soma1975 marshall combo then he didn't show.

I paid the drummer with the rest meaning overall a loss of £4 which I have deducted from munckee jr's pocket money to teach her a lesson - kids need lessons.
    That’s good, I like your style, children should have to pay to be in their parents backing bands ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Excellent day yesterday!  Many thanks to @munckee for organising and also to @peteri for his generosity in bringing along his lovely vintage guitars and letting all and sundry pick them up and play them.

Hmm - Bristol...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Excellent day yesterday!  Many thanks to @munckee for organising and also to @peteri for his generosity in bringing along his lovely vintage guitars and letting all and sundry pick them up and play them.

Hmm - Bristol...
    Go on, we could try “caffeine bomb”!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    edited April 2019
    munckee said:

I have sent back @customkits money today as unless he is very small or was hiding in @soma1975 marshall combo then he didn't show.

That would explain the weight of it. 

That 54 Les Paul was absurd. Bit scared of something that old to begin with but when you hit it with conviction it had a gorgeous bloom on the notes. I think it is genuinely worth the money it would cost to buy, it's that much better than my les paul standard. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    tFB Trader
    munckee said:

Thanks for the refund, i wondered what that was, I'll definitely make the next one, sounds like it was a great day
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    mrkb said:

Hmm - Bristol...
    Go on, we could try “caffeine bomb”!
    Well, we could try it.  We'd likely fall on our arses, but we could try it...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

edited April 2019
    I think when I do it again I'll definitely pick some songs the drummer might have heard of. 

Young people -1 

EDIT: Although when I asked him what his regular stuff was he said amongst others - the Human League!

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Nice guys and great day! Peter's guitars were a highlight, @grappagreen had a great 60's strat and it was fascinating comparing two handbuilt 5E3s. 
    Thanks to @grappagreen for walking me through 29 X The Pain, fortunately the take was loud enough to drown out even my incompetence and Fuengi Jr's college fund ensured the destruction of the recording. 
    Nice guys and great day! Peter's guitars were a highlight, @grappagreen had a great 60's strat and it was fascinating comparing two handbuilt 5E3s. 
    I didn't realise they were handbuilts. What were they? 

Once again you play beautifully. Not sure many of us would have kept up with you in a jam as it sounded like your guitar had more notes on it that 5 us lots' had!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Really glad to hear all the positive notes on the guitars I brought along, honestly it was a highlight for me to see people play them - firstly because I get to hear what they sound like (sounds funny I know, but it's different) - but also to see how people see how different they can be (not saying better, but different neck profiles etc.)

And how many people played 11-52s without noticing it! I'll make men of you yet! ;)

Would have loved to have heard the hand-built amps - next year must do more of that, but thanks to @Winny_Pooh agreed that Plexi was amazing, and much fuzzier than I expected.

My guitars will come and go to fund others (incoming 56 Esquire will take out some of them) but the memory of seeing people play and enjoy them will stay with me.

Thanks all, and I'd love to do this again in the summer maybe?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1522
    soma1975 said:
    I didn't realise they were handbuilts. What were they? 

Once again you play beautifully. Not sure many of us would have kept up with you in a jam as it sounded like your guitar had more notes on it that 5 us lots' had!
    I built mine from a collection of parts from various places.  Notably the cabiner is from Rift which I then lacquered.  The mains transformer is a Hammond from Bluebell audio.  The output transformer is a Mercury Magnetics from Martin at Gartone.  It was one of his 5E3 inspired amps that led me down the path of building my own.  The valves are a mixture of new and NOS.  I built a variable HT supply into mine which works a treat to reduce the output level whilst preserving the distortion and tone, at least until you take it right down.  Very handy at a gig to knock it down a bit.

@peteri - I'm regretting not trying your goldtop through my amp.  That would have been good.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Oh man I wish I'd given it a go. That's basically what I'm looking at to take the place of my current combo. 

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1252
    All,

Just wanted to say a massive thanks to everyone involved in this. Was a hoot; I had a great time, met some really nice peops and got to play through some ace gear.

The sessions were great fun and without masses of pressure - plenty of time to get sorted/settle and dial-in. I played bass for the first time ever after a week of practice so was really pleased. Can't say my timing was rock solid but it was better than I thought it would be :) - It's inspired me to put some time into learning how to play bass and maybe get some gigs in the future.

In no particular order just a couple of special mentions..

@peteri  ;- thanks for letting me play though all of your stuff. Sort of dream come true.. was great to compare my '61 to your '64 Strat - similar look and feel but very different sound. Not better or worse, just different. The LP's were fab but the Goldtop was the one for me! Playing the SG into the 1959 hit the spot for a few classic sounds :) 

@Winny_Pooh - great fun with the Marshall! Great playing and (surprisingly for me) I loved the PRS and the Musicman.. quite an eye opener. Looking forward to comparing my SL68 to your Plexi at some point :)

@springhead - good to compare the 5E3's and to hear the differences... proved without doubt that they are just killer amps..

And finally

@munckee - organising something like this is like herding cats.. you did good and it's appreciated.

Looking forward to the next one.

Si
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    sev112 said:
    Sorry had to go just before the end. My energy levels hit a rapid drop, and I knew I had to get home.  

peteri said:

Thanks all, and I'd love to do this again in the summer maybe?
    Me too @peteri - Especially if there will be a 56 Esquire there   Not sure @munckee will recover from this one in time tho..

@sev112 - Not surprised with all that dancing you were doing with that bass on your back! - a joy to watch, you were in your element!

Would definitely be up for another one this year - maybe late summer early autumn. Keep the numbers down too as it worked well with less people. Would be happy to pay more for the privilege to cover the costs ;)

edited April 2019
    Same 

Edit: not really too fussed about he recording though. Might have been more fun running it through in a band environment a few times and then us all doing ‘the set’ at the end which we can record ourselves. So we are playing each other our gig. Or something. 

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1252
    Me too..
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Just as a scoping idea, would anyone be interested in an acoustic day at some point?  I guess it would be more like a private open mic, but would be nice to try out each others’ guitars, encourage people to sing and play together, learn some different styles etc.?

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Yeah I’d have a go - I’ve got an old J-45 I should play more 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2198
    Sounds interesting, even tho I don't own an electro-acoustic
    peteri said:
    Yeah I’d have a go - I’ve got an old J-45 I should play more 
    Why doesn't that surprise me?  :)

I was surprised I was the only one with an acoustic, but as Fuengi Jr pointed out - "didn't you look at the song list?". 

Would be up for an acoustic session, but our song choices were based on having an acoustic and lead part anyway and I think we'd go along those lines as they are great to learn together. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter