Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Squier basses are awesome... - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Squier basses are awesome...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
If you need a bass in a pinch and don't have a grand or so for a Musicman, then go get a Squier bass. I bought one of those  vintage modified jazz basses and it slays!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7749
    Squier guitars are really good too. I have a Vintage Modified Jazzmaster and it's brilliant.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    Totally agree - I had a great Squier P-bass and sold it to Tonyteech who sold it on ... wish I'd kept it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Always happy to gig with a Squier P Bass ... my mate Tim has a lovely white nineties one that I borrow on occasion.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    There was a Squier P-Bass in the shop a while back, which was so good that for a moment I thought about buying it, selling my 4001 and pocketing well over a grand. To be honest, from a practical point of view - sound, feel, even look - it would have done the job just as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I really like the fiesta red CV Ps. I could definitely see myself having one if I needed a 2nd bass.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502

I agree (although not sure if this is cheating?)

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 474
    I've got a squier p-bass.  It came off MR but I'm not sure who I bought it off now...

It may just be a familiarity thing but I find it nicer to play than our bass player's Yamaha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rprrpr Frets: 302
  • Drew_fx said:
    Squier basses are awesome
    Yes they are. I went to PMT to buy a Jazz bass, tried the lot and the Squier Classic Vibe was only beaten by the USA Deluxe Jazz Bass. 

I'm very happy with my Squier CV and haven't upgraded a thing.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3068
    edited August 2013
    I think Squier Basses are great.  They are well made, very reasonable price and sound great.  They are also eminently tweakable - this is my Vintage Modified Jaguar (originally standard black with red tortoiseshell pickguard) after a makeover of a fancy veneer, a reshaping of the pickguard and some self-stick carbon-fibre matting:

With the supplied Duncan-designed p/ups, it sounds pretty good too...
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 833

OH SWEET JESUS... YOU OWE ME NEW PANTS!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    :))
  • Andy thats incredible. How did you do the veneer? 
    Andy thats incredible. How did you do the veneer? 

Hi - thanks. I have an old step-by-step thread somewhere on one of the other forums...I'll try to find the link. Basically, you get rid of the old covering (this is usually the most difficult bit!) then coat the veneer and top with a very thin coating of standard PVA glue, let it dry, then iron it on. There are a few tips and techniques but that's pretty much the length of it. Andy
    Hi again, UnclePsychosis

This was the thread I did for BassChat - goes through the whole process.  I think the link works OK for guests...

The link is for this one - starting off as a standard red Ibanez GSR200

Here's the tips and tricks link:

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hi again, UnclePsychosis

This was the thread I did for BassChat - goes through the whole process.  I think the link works OK for guests...

The link is for this one - starting off as a standard red Ibanez GSR200

Here's the tips and tricks link:

Andy
    Thanks for the links :) I'm a regular over at basschat too! 
  • NickBotfieldNickBotfield Frets: 143
    edited August 2013
    I'm definitely gassing for the Vintage Modified Precision, which is giving off a strong Nate Mendel Sig on a budget vibe.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I like my Jazz Mod :D
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    edited August 2013
    I'm wanting to start playing bass and this looks absolutely tits. I'm tempted.image

As does this

"have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    I think Squier Basses are great.  They are well made, very reasonable price and sound great.  They are also eminently tweakable - this is my Vintage Modified Jaguar (originally standard black with red tortoiseshell pickguard) after a makeover of a fancy veneer, a reshaping of the pickguard and some self-stick carbon-fibre matting:

With the supplied Duncan-designed p/ups, it sounds pretty good too...

Very cool indeed.

So the veneer stays in one piece as you iron it then?

I'm impressed.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @jmaster I reckon if you get a jazz bass it'll become the standard by which you judge all other basses. go for it :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Very cool indeed.So the veneer stays in one piece as you iron it then?I'm impressed.
    There are a few tips and techniques (ref the thread above) but basically yes! The great thing is that,if you get a bit of lift, or a bubble, you can just run over that bit with an iron and it fixes it.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2013
    stickyfiddle;2919" said:
    I really like the fiesta red CV Ps. I could definitely see myself having one if I needed a 2nd bass.
    Tried one of these today in Wunjo on Denmark St (have now taken over The Bass Cellar). It surpassed a lot of things above its' price. Preferred it to the CV J-Bass, Sterling Music Man and so good for £300 and wouldn't sniff at it if it we're £500!! I now need to look at the CV Teles if the quality is this good. Wish it came in black
  • The CV Precision is a stonking instrument! Stick on a set of D'Addario Chromes, turn down the tone control and away you go!
  • Great work there AndyJR.

Currently have a bit of mini-GAS for a VM Jag myself.

edited September 2013
    I tried a Squier Affinity PJ Bass today in Guitar Guitar and that too was very good. I like the P-Bass shape, the comfortable neck and the fact that it sports both J and P pickups - very versatile and a steal at £190! It's unbelievable how good these Squiers are for the price.

Any love for the Ibanez GSR180 or 200 (saw the pimped one here)? They're probably the Affinity's closest competition in terms of price and sound. Whilst they play well, they do feel cheap and those plasticy controls definitely need replacing, but not sure what the rest is like. The Squiers' just feel solid and "proper"!
  • Kebabkid said:
    Any love for the Ibanez GSR180 or 200 (saw the pimped one here)? They're probably the Affinity's closest competition in terms of price and sound. Whilst they play well, they do feel cheap and those plasticy controls definitely need replacing, but not sure what the rest is like. The Squiers' just feel solid and "proper"!
    Hi - I'm the guy that pimp'd the Ibanez :-)   It was quite good in many ways, but it wasn't quite as solid as the Squier.  It had a slightly unnerving feature that you could feel the string vibrations through the body wood against your beer-belly!

Andy
    Cheers Andy and your GSR looks great
  • I'm definitely gassing for the Vintage Modified Precision, which is giving off a strong Nate Mendel Sig on a budget vibe.

I've got one of the old squier standard P-bass specials, which is exactly this but with a white pickguard. It's about 10-12 years old and I picked it up for £80 on gumtree in pretty much mint condition. It's been my regular gigging bass for a couple of years now and definitely an upgrade on my old aria p-bass. I'd recommend keeping an eye on gumtree for squier basses in particular - they are one of those things people always seem to undervalue - an old affinity with a gig bag sold for £50 around here the other day which is just laughable.
  • I bought a Squier Precision Special from Crack Converters, Huntingdon, a few years ago for £29! It said that the electrics might not work. Well, that's what happens when you sub superglue and blu-tac for solder! I bought a new scratchplate, new pots, knobs and a set of strings (there weren't any on it). I had to do some serious tweaking of the truss rod as the idiot who owned it previously had slackened it off completely. Then I had to set it up, which I hasn't done before, but there's some good information on that there interweb. I use it quite a bit now. Ok, ill tend to use my '73 4001 or '74 Precision more often, but it does have a great, modern 'scooped' tone and for pub gigs when I'd rather not take an expensive instrument, it does me very well.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....