Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Kemper thread - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    edited July 2023
    Been experiencing a worrying problem for the past month and a bit, upon powering the Profiler on, I get either a weak signal or no sound at all, and have to end up powering down and shutting down and rebooting everything else (interface/laptop etc) which usually fixes it. After the first couple of times it started to get more frequent, now its happened twice in a week.

I've checked the connections are all ok which they are, usually this happens during lessons so I'm under time pressure to get everything back up and running so maybe I miss something. I changed guitar cable and it was working ok, but I switched back to the original one I had been using when this has happened and its still working.

I usually go main out via XLR into my audio interface (Focusrite 8i6).

Will continue to use a different cable for a week and see if that's the culprit. If it does it again then I know for sure its not the cable that's the issue. I fear it may be power amp failure.

Anyone else had this happen before? Really hope I don't have to ship it to Germany for repair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Right, so I managed to talk to Kemper support earlier. As I use the Kemper mainly as a direct out into my interface and out active powered monitors the power amp doesn't come into use so that rules out the possibility of a failure.

I've since updated the OS to the newest version, 9.0.5, and had a quick play out the headphone port and all sounds fine so far. Will see later on during a few lessons how it plays. Hopefully its solved the issue but can't help think its something else.

Also, I think I must have asked this a thousand times but am I meant to be using an xlr connection from the back into either my interface or mixer? Both have line inputs so using an xlr cable might confuse it thinking its a microphone signal, creating a mismatch? Should I change to a guitar cable (or two) and run those into the line in?

Sometimes I teach online so I mainly do all my inputs into a Yamaha MG10 then send the stereo output mix via xlr into the front 2 ports into my Focusrite 8i6. Again, a mismatch? Its worked for 2 years though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Right, so I managed to talk to Kemper support earlier. As I use the Kemper mainly as a direct out into my interface and out active powered monitors the power amp doesn't come into use so that rules out the possibility of a failure.

I've since updated the OS to the newest version, 9.0.5, and had a quick play out the headphone port and all sounds fine so far. Will see later on during a few lessons how it plays. Hopefully its solved the issue but can't help think its something else.

Also, I think I must have asked this a thousand times but am I meant to be using an xlr connection from the back into either my interface or mixer? Both have line inputs so using an xlr cable might confuse it thinking its a microphone signal, creating a mismatch? Should I change to a guitar cable (or two) and run those into the line in?

Sometimes I teach online so I mainly do all my inputs into a Yamaha MG10 then send the stereo output mix via xlr into the front 2 ports into my Focusrite 8i6. Again, a mismatch? Its worked for 2 years though.
    Might you negate the issue entirely (or possibly cause more agro) by switching to USB into your computer? Freeing up a few inputs on your interface for other things. Or even SPDIF if you interface has optical or SPDIF in?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Oh yeah the new update has USB out now for recording doesn't it? Having said that I've only got 2 free ports, one for my webcam and one for the interface. For online lessons SPDIF won't work as Windows will only detect the front 2 analogue ports.
  • Oh yeah the new update has USB out now for recording doesn't it? Having said that I've only got 2 free ports, one for my webcam and one for the interface. For online lessons SPDIF won't work as Windows will only detect the front 2 analogue ports.
    You can buy powered USB hubs (don't get a passive one).
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    I could, but the other issue is the audio input is all routed from the interface, so if the Kemper is going straight into the computer it won't be picked up on the platform. Only what's put into the front 2 analogue ports.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    (Just subscribing to the thread, as I am going to have a second go with the Kemper. There's one on its way. First time round I was rather underwhelmed, but I feel I didn't give it a chance, and I see that there have been a lot of updates. Fingers crossed.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    goldtop said:
    (Just subscribing to the thread, as I am going to have a second go with the Kemper. There's one on its way. First time round I was rather underwhelmed, but I feel I didn't give it a chance, and I see that there have been a lot of updates. Fingers crossed.)
    In the same boat here @goldtop - just bought my second Kemper! Although I liked my first one, I just convinced myself that a real amp would be better and 3 years later I've come full circle and back to the Kemper.

Are there many fretboarders still using a Kemper? Are there any new players in the profile game worth checking out? I loved the Top Jimi stuff the best the first time round...

I'm excited about liquid profiling - I'm hoping to get some life out of profiles I didn't quite like by being able to apply a more accurate tone profile (for want of a better word) that will hopefully give enough flexibility to tweak profiles in a way that was previously not possible or too inaccurate. Hoping I haven't completely misunderstood liquid profiling here like...

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1252
    I’m still gigging my stage and loving it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Used the newly updated Profiler earlier, no issues. Changed the main output volume to -12db as when I was using xlr it was on -45db!! But I had to use a fair bit of pre amp gain on my interface which I shouldn't really need. Also used the -12db 'pad' function thing on the Kemper to stop the signal being too hot even with TS cables. Seemed to work ok.

So I think from now on I'll use XLR's into the interface if teaching in the room and then TS cables into the mixer if teaching online. Unless I get a XLR to TS cable?
    @chrishill901 I haven't read up much on liquid profiling yet. But I did see a lot of YT videos pop up about it, which is one of the reasons it popped back up on my radar.

The only other modeller I have now is the THR30 as a sofa-side play-along amp, and the Kemper will go into my little studio setup.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    I have the kemper and a poweramp, its a recent addition, replacing my FM3...I'm still not 100% sure it was a positive move.

I have not gigged it yet, but will be picking up a zilla 2x12 this week, so will use it on a couple of practices.

I have a few profiles, which I am happy to share @goldtop if you want to drop me a PM
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    Thanks @nero1701 - I have just received it and need to work my way through the profiles left on the machine by the previous owner. Just skiving off work now and giving it a quick spin. :)

(Er... I'd forgotten about the Kemper's boot time! Wonder if that's a factor of the number of profiles stored on it?)

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    (Er... I'd forgotten about the Kemper's boot time! Wonder if that's a factor of the number of profiles stored on it?)

It definitely is. They say you can store up to 1000 profiles on the unit but that will extend the boot time considerably. I keep about 50 on mine and it boots quite quickly but nowhere near as quick as a Fractal or Helix.
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
    Still faster than most valve amps warming up.
    drwiddly said:

It definitely is. They say you can store up to 1000 profiles on the unit but that will extend the boot time considerably. I keep about 50 on mine and it boots quite quickly but nowhere near as quick as a Fractal or Helix.
    Aha. This one, being a second-hand one, may be packed with all sorts. I will get Rig Manager on my Mac so I can more easily browse/archive/delete.

Thanks.
    If anyone's interested, my toaster-style Kemper came with a rather nice Zilla head cabinet that I don't need. Now listed in the Classifieds.
    Had a run-through with headphones last night. Sounds great, but I really need to spend some time reprogramming my brain about the interface.

Also - Rig Manager shows that this KPA has 271 profiles loaded. Which may explain that excessive boot time. Backed up via Rig Manager now and I suppose I could/should audition them all and remove the profiles that I don't need.

I hadn't planned on leaving my Kemper attached to the Mac, but I now see that the OS lets it works as a USB audio interface. It would even let me use the two mono inputs on the back for recording other sources. So I could rejig things here. Decisions, decisions...
    Tangent question: anyone know if the Kemper acts as a MIDI interface when connected over USB to a PC/Mac?

(I suppose the MIDI interface was originally there for the editor, controller compatibility when it was designed, but it would be quite handy if the audio interface firmware also allowed MIDI data to go to/from keyboards, etc).
    Yes it does but only with the latest firmware update.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    goldtop said:
    Tangent question: anyone know if the Kemper acts as a MIDI interface when connected over USB to a PC/Mac?

(I suppose the MIDI interface was originally there for the editor, controller compatibility when it was designed, but it would be quite handy if the audio interface firmware also allowed MIDI data to go to/from keyboards, etc).

I'm 99.9% certain that the answer is - no.  I've got my Kemper connected to my music computer via USB and the Kemper does not show up on the list of MIDI devices in Cubase.  I know that people have requested MIDI via USB since the Kemper was launched but the fact that this has never been implemented in any update suggests that it won't happen in the future either.

A pity as it would be nice to have.  I use a Helix live and I switch patches and snapshots using MIDI commands via USB.  If I wanted to use the Kemper I'd need to add a USB - MIDI interface to the chain.

A brief sortie under the desk, swearing at USB and other cables, seems to show that @Musicwolf is right - there are no MIDI ports viewable in a DAW nor in the Audio/MIDI setup utility. :(

@drwiddly - did I explain what I was after in a confusing way? I'm on firmware 9.0.5.4something, downloaded at the end of last week.

I do have other options, but it would have been quite useful. Oh well...

@goldtop - Might be my bad mate, apologies if so. I haven't updated my Kemper for a little while but they did announce recently that it would be updated so it could be used as a usb audio interface. I then read something the other day saying that this had been implemented in a recent update. It may be a beta firmware?
    ^ Yes, it works as a USB audio interface (I did a quick check earlier today, too)

It's just that the Kemper's MIDI ports are not presented to the DAW as MIDI sources or destinations (as they are for all normal audio interfaces). Which is a bit of a shame/oversight.

No worries. :)
    Hmmm, a tiny bit pointless then? :(
    drwiddly said:
    Hmmm, a tiny bit pointless then? :(
    Well, I suppose I can understand that recording ease is probably more important for more guitarists than hooking up synths. Although Kemper was the boss of Access, so you'd have hoped it might be on his radar. 
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    The Kemper must have some MIDI functionality as I’m sure I’ve seen a Michael Britt YouTube video explaining how he switches in effects loops using a MIDI controller and the morph function…be damned if I can find that vid again though. Also appreciate this isn’t the same as being able to see the Kemper as a MIDI device in a DAW. Wonder if it could be a future update…
    ^ Yes, I think you are right. That MIDI functionality was there from the get-go, so people with (say) an FCB-1010 could switch Kemper patches without needing the full Kemper Remote. 

I suppose I could RToriginalFM to see how Kemper described the use of the 3 MIDI ports. :)
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    jaytmon said:
    The Kemper must have some MIDI functionality as I’m sure I’ve seen a Michael Britt YouTube video explaining how he switches in effects loops using a MIDI controller and the morph function…be damned if I can find that vid again though. Also appreciate this isn’t the same as being able to see the Kemper as a MIDI device in a DAW. Wonder if it could be a future update…
    You can certainly switch / control via MIDI, but only using a 5 pin DIN MIDI connection.  MIDI over USB, as is available on say a Helix, is something that Kemper users have been requesting since the launch.  The fact that it hasn't happened despite all of the other significant free updates would suggest that it isn't something that Kemper are able to do for whatever reason.

That said, a simple USB to MIDI cable and a couple of MIDI leads isn't going to break the bank.

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    Musicwolf said:
    jaytmon said:
    You can certainly switch / control via MIDI, but only using a 5 pin DIN MIDI connection.  MIDI over USB, as is available on say a Helix, is something that Kemper users have been requesting since the launch.  The fact that it hasn't happened despite all of the other significant free updates would suggest that it isn't something that Kemper are able to do for whatever reason.

That said, a simple USB to MIDI cable and a couple of MIDI leads isn't going to break the bank.

Ah, I see, makes sense. Be interesting to try with a MIDI > USB converter, see if it produced satisfactory results.