Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sold: John Birch - Custom Thru Neck 4 string bass guitar - Made in UK - Basses £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sold: John Birch - Custom Thru Neck 4 string bass guitar - Made in UK

What's Hot
RevMattRevMatt Frets: 751
edited June 2018 in Basses £
SOLD

This beautiful bass was made in Nottingham by John Birch Guitars in 2016 as a prototype / demo model. John Carling (designer) wanted to create something pro quality that was also lightweight and immensely comfortable to play, and this was the result. I bought it directly from the company. 

As you can see from the pictures, the bass features a multi-laminate thru neck. The top is finished off with a zebra-wood veneer. Sound comes from a pair of soapbar type pickups and a 4 control layout. 

I'm not really a bass player (apparently I'm a guitarist!) - so the great neck, low action, and comfortable ergonomics of this bass really appealed to me. Tonally, it has a nice mellow clarity, but played harder can become more punchy. 

I have a 'Gear 4 Music' semi rigid gigbag / case available to buy. This is virtually brand new. 

CONDITION:
The bass is in really good condition, having not had a lot of play time in its short life. There are some surface marks: small indentations / swirling, but due to the clear lacquered finish these are not very visible. 

It's worth noting that as a prototype, this bass isn't finished to quite the same level of perfection as you'd see on a full production / retail model. For example, the zebra-wood veneer is very thin, there are some spots where the lacquer is a little cloudy (like that shown on the side of the fretboard) etc, but none of this detracts from it being a great, one off, hand built bass.

I really like the bass, it's lovely to play, but the pickups are a little too low output for my taste (it's quieter when A/B'd against other basses) - I took it back to John Birch who checked the wiring, and the pickups were changed from parallel to series wiring and also a little short circuit was fixed, - this increased output a bit, but otherwise John (Carling) confirmed there everything was as it should be.

PRICE: was £450, now £250 (case extra) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 733
    Wow! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 751
    robwright said:
    Wow! 

Thank you :) 

I'll probably regret selling this but price drop to £400...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Is this really a UK made John Birch?

It looks like all of the parts are generic.
    edited June 2018
    prowla said:
    Is this really a UK made John Birch?

It looks like all of the parts are generic.
    Yes. Made in Long Eaton, Nottingham, designed by John Carling (John Birch's former partner and current owner of JB).

You can see the bass in the bass gallery on their web.

The generic parts are probably on account of this being put together as a bit of a prototype.
    edited June 2018
    Here's the link @prowla http://www.johnbirchguitarsuk.com/bass-gallery

Just a thought, if you're going to question the quality or authenticity of an item it may be more courteous to do this via a private message rather than within the seller's thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks for the link - question asked and answered.
    (Incidentally, I'd be including a printout of those pictures from the JB site with it.)
    RevMatt said:

Just a thought, if you're going to question the quality or authenticity of an item it may be more courteous to do this via a private message rather than within the seller's thread.
    Apologies for that - it was intended as an exclamation rather than an accusation!
    prowla said:
    RevMatt said:

Apologies for that - it was intended as an exclamation rather than an accusation!
    No worries @prowla ;,  I perhaps misinterpreted the query. 

Happy to answer any further questions.
    Taking on board Prowla's point,  I'm reducing this further to £350.

It's a great bass that feels lovely to play and would make a great platform for upgrades if you so desired... 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Bargain this - and looks like a cracker. I've played a John Birch and if it's anything like as good as the one I played then it's worth every penny.

GLWTS
    Bargain this - and looks like a cracker. I've played a John Birch and if it's anything like as good as the one I played then it's worth every penny.

GLWTS
    Thanks, it's a great bass for far east mass produced money, and the deal just gets better... £325 to you lovely folk!!!!
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 733
    I want it! Sadly no moolah to buy it! Shit! 

edited June 2018
    £275 without the case if it helps @robwright
    Ok good people of Fretboard....The price of this just keeps falling!

£250 for the bass (postage at cost but would prefer to post in the case which is available by negotiation) - this assumes no fees incurred from payment method etc
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7962
    Holy shit... this seriously has me tempted! 

I assume there's nothing six stringed that you're after? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Thanks @Legionreturns - I'm always tempted by 6 stringers, although in tho instance I really need cash for my replacement bass...
    SOLD folks...