Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Another "how low do you go" thread... - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Another "how low do you go" thread...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7928
    edited August 2013
    My band plays in drop D.  Otherwise I play in E standard.  I prefer the tone of guitars tuned closer to standard.  I find the lower you tune an electric guitar the more restricted you are for tonal options if you want to use the full range of the instrument, especially if you want the low string to sound defined and not muddy but also want a reasonably thick sound from the plain strings.  Clean tones work, and tight high gain tones work, but if you want something mid gain and warm I find that chords involving notes below a C are hard to get sounding right without compromising the rest of the guitar tone.

Acoustics are a different issue, I think baritone acoustics can sound incredible if a piece is specifically written to take advantage of their voicing.  One day I'd love to own one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Personally I use D standard for most things as eighteen years of smoking has dropped my vocal comfort zone slightly; otherwise open G for slide stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • C6 at moment but may try E9
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    Mainly standard which suits our singer who likes songs in C.
    I have my bitsa tele in open D at the moment for slide.
    Sometimes I will tune the acoustic to DADGAD
    Don't touch that dial.