Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How low do you go.... - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How low do you go....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    Well that smiley came out wrong!?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Middle. Same height as when playing sitting down.

Am I the only one here who doesn't think having it low looks cool? I just think it looks stupid and contrived. Maybe a *little* lower than middle is OK, but not much.
    With you there. Page looks fine, but I always think Peter Hook looks like a twat hunched over because his bass is too low to play properly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 363
    monquixote;17952" said:
    ICBM said:

Am I the only one here who doesn't think having it low looks cool? I just think it looks stupid and contrived. Maybe a *little* lower than middle is OK, but not much.

With you there. Page looks fine, but I always think Peter Hook looks like a twat hunched over because his bass is too low to play properly.

http://static.nme.com/images/gallery/08103_150114_peterhook_PA.jpg
    With you on Hooky, always looks just that little bit too far away from him. I'd guess I'm mid/low - strings are sort of in line with my belt buckle, if I wear a tie with function band it always finds a way over the top of the guitar and in between the fat strings!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    grungebob said:
    My right arm gets cramp if it doesn't fully extend straight on a down stroke so I guess according to the opinion on here I wear it too low and I'm a ninny :|
    Only if you have to lean forward or hold the guitar at a daft angle to accomplish that! That's when it gets stupid and contrived.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited August 2013
    grungebob said:
    My right arm gets cramp if it doesn't fully extend straight on a down stroke so I guess according to the opinion on here I wear it too low and I'm a ninny :|
    nah it's fair enough if there's a genuine reason for it

(heck it's fair enough even if there isn't, it's not like I care either way, people can wear their guitars at whatever height they like :)) )

I can't wear mine too high or it feels too constricting, too. I'd like to be able to wear it at the same height it's at when I'm sitting down but it feels weird that way. EDIT: actually now that I think of it, with certain guitars sitting down my arm does the same as yours so maybe I wouldn't want it that high up anyway...
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    ICBM said:

The thing is, I don't see how hunching over makes it any better;  the bass is suspended at shoulder level, as are his arms.  When he hunches over to get his arms lower, the bass gets lower by the same amount.  The only way it would work is if the bass were prevented from going lower as it's resting on his leg, but if that were so the strap would go slack as he hunched over.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    if the audience can see your junk (whether out in the wind or hidden behind jeans) it's too high! :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    edited August 2013
    I dunno, I guess I'm middle?

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/1151/ilh.png

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'm sure I read that Peter Hook now suffers from spine/back/shoulder (possibly all) problems after years playing like that. 

No real surprises there.
  • I'm sure I read that Peter Hook now suffers from spine/back/shoulder (possibly all) problems after years playing like that. 

No real surprises there.
    As does Pagey.

He did look cool as fook though.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    So my pick is at balls hight really, thoroughly in the middle ;) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1669

Definitely what most people here would consider pretty high I guess - the "middle" pictures posted look low to me lol. A higher position does make certain stretches and things easier, or even just possible in the first place I'd say.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    So the rear of the body is two inches above my hip:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/Lixarto/P9065174.jpg
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    behind my head
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 833
    It doesn't matter how high it is, but how you play it...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • For best musical results:  High.  For best cool look results:  Low   For avoiding serious wrist problems:  High.  OK, so if you're in the Ramones and just hammering out 4 beats per bar on the same note, no problem, but if you are trying to be the next, oh, lets say "Buckethead", then you better cinch that strap up, or you'll be headed for surgery.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3260
    edited August 2013
    usually the higher end of middle..
    but a little lower with the V's

but when I'm recording it's almost under my chin
    play every note as if it were your first
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Generally I've always gone for a bit lower than middle cos I 'thought' it looked cooler (as per my avatar), but in my old age things have changed a bit. I sit on my amp to practice and record videos these days, and for convenience I hike the strap up so that the guitar is supported by the strap and not my leg. Most of the time when I get up to noodle around I can't be assed with adjusting the strap, and it is actually pretty high. If I catch my reflection I am horrified by the nerdiness! 

Middle to slightly high definitely seems to make playing easier, I can't get to grips with the look though!