Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ivison Guitars - Build and Repair Thread - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ivison Guitars - Build and Repair Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6806
    tFB Trader
    Final set up and assembly today on this special customer ordered/spec'd DC Junior. Aged, Matt Black, Gibson '57+ Humbucker, Celluloid guard and a slim neck profile. A simple, lightweight, Raw Rock n Roll Machine! :) 

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 724
    All anybody really needs! Cool Man:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I was wondering how that one would turn out.  I really like it!

Everybody raves about P-90s so much it seems slightly heretical to put a humbucker in there, but it appeals to me.  And you could always swap it for a Mississippi Queen or something and make it almost vintage-correct.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Humbucker and black paint give it a proper old school hot rod vibe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

Everybody raves about P-90s so much it seems slightly heretical to put a humbucker in there, but it appeals to me.  And you could always swap it for a Mississippi Queen or something and make it almost vintage-correct.
    Thanks @Philly_Q. While I initially balked at the humbucker request, after trying it, there’s surprisingly not that much difference between the two, the main thing being no hum of course, shock horror! ;) I think, for me personally, if going for a humbucker, I would have gone for an aged nickel cover. Perhaps even an aged nickel dog ear...

@sawyer Definitely gives that vibe doesn’t it, I think that’s what my customer was hoping for at least :)
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Philly_Q said:

I agree completely, with a HB slot as well, the options of pickup types are near enough endless.  I think one of Ash/Oil City's Brassknuckles would be a great choice for that guitar. 

I think with a HB like above, that particular DC would be a beast for playing riffs! 

(PS great work as ever OP)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    Did I just see a left handed Ivison out in the wild?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    stevebrum said:
    Did I just see a left handed Ivison out in the wild?

Ah, thanks for posting Steve, that’s superb! Yes, you did! His second will be along in a few months too ;)

How did it sound? 
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sounded great - like a junior should! Although he sat low in the mix except for solos. 

It was at the Solihull Jazz festival.

I was the wrong side of the stage but it looked like he only had a small tube combo 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    stevebrum said:
    Sounded great - like a junior should! Although he sat low in the mix except for solos. 

It was at the Solihull Jazz festival.

I was the wrong side of the stage but it looked like he only had a small tube combo 

Great stuff! Joe’s a busy pro player and tells me the Junior has become his main guitar which I’m really chuffed about :) 
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2019
    Cool. I’ve got a 40 second video clip as well if you’re interested. I don’t have a YouTube account setup. If you pm me a No. I can WhatsApp it or if not I’ll get a YouTube account at some point and host it up.
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    Ok, so this is going to be one of those annoyingly vague posts (rather like one of those ‘what’s up hun’ status updates on facebook) but I’ve just had a call from a childhood hero of mine who played guitar in one of my all time favourite bands....and he’s just ordered a guitar to use on the bands upcoming US tour in October!!!

I don’t want to say who just yet in case I jinx it....but I had to tell somebody because I’m absolutely buzzing about it!! D
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Oh! Exciting! Hopefully another build thread? :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Excellent news mate
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Congrats Neil - Hope it pans out all ok - Not MR from BC is it
    tFB Trader
    Congrats Neil - Hope it pans out all ok - Not MR from BC is it
    No, but you’re on the right lines Mark, it’s the guy who replaced him in MTH :) 

@sawyer @roberty Thanks chaps! 
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Ok, so this is going to be one of those annoyingly vague posts (rather like one of those ‘what’s up hun’ status updates on facebook) but I’ve just had a call from a childhood hero of mine who played guitar in one of my all time favourite bands....and he’s just ordered a guitar to use on the bands upcoming US tour in October!!!

I don’t want to say who just yet in case I jinx it....but I had to tell somebody because I’m absolutely buzzing about it!! D
    I’m buzzin for ya!!!

cant wait to hear who it is??

wont stop me trying to guess though!
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 388
    Can you tell us what they ordered?

SC/DC/finish etc
    tFB Trader
    Collings said:
    Can you tell us what they ordered?

SC/DC/finish etc
    Sure! A ‘57 SC in sunburst to visually replicate his original Junior he used in ‘73/74 but with a custom neck profile. He’s coming over to the workshop in a few weeks to go over the finer details :)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    I know who it is! Wow awarded. :) 
    tFB Trader
    the man who changed his name ????
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Due to vandalism?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    edited July 2019
    I know who it is! Wow awarded.  
    Due to vandalism?
    By another band member?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    @SteveRobinson @guitars4you @Keefy All correct! Named by Lyndsey Du Paul by all accounts...
    (formerly miserneil)
  • hoopshoops Frets: 220
    Great stuff. Word is getting around and quite rightly so. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited July 2019
    I'm beginning to understand what all the hoopla's about.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    I'm still oblivious...
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'm still oblivious...
    Me too
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm beginning to understand what all the hoopla's about.
    It’s spooky isn’t it! 

Congrats Neil. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    I'm still oblivious...
    Me too
    I bet all the young dudes know who it is