Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ivison Guitars - Build and Repair Thread - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ivison Guitars - Build and Repair Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6806
    tFB Trader
    Just a bit of geekery that i'm pretty chuffed with....all Ivison DC Juniors will now come with a pick guard cut from a '59 pattern made out of genuine NOS 50's celluloid! :)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Here's a '59 DC that i've been working on this week, this one is going to be Cherry Red using proper aniline dyes so it'll fade out just like the originals do!

(formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 401
    Love the attention to detail......you can never have too much 'geekery'!
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Great work Neil. Love the NOS guards, nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What’s the fretwire of choice on these Neil?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    What’s the fretwire of choice on these Neil?
    I use Dunlop 6155 as standard but happy to fit any wire the customer specifies :)
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    I so want that Goldtop DC.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Tis but a quick PM away my good man... ;)
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    miserneil said:
    I can't help but think there may be a few hundred other problems...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Haha, yeah, there is that!

I actually really fancy doing a bound Gold Top junior, Double or Single Cut, light back, bound neck, bone white P90. Not sure if it’d need a pickguard or not, perhaps a cut down Les Paul type....one day...
    (formerly miserneil)
  • miserneil said:
    miserneil said:

I actually really fancy doing a bound Gold Top junior, Double or Single Cut, light back, bound neck, bone white P90. Not sure if it’d need a pickguard or not, perhaps a cut down Les Paul type....one day...
    maybe your own version of a 54' Gold top?  ;)
    miserneil said:
    robinbowes said:

PM me a price? I could sell things... :)
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    miserneil said:

Stop it...
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    miserneil said:

Stop it...
    Haha 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    edited June 2018
    I just remembered @miserneil didn't I create the headstock logo for you years ago? I wondered what you were going to do with it lol

Looking good and you're obviously enjoying making them
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    edited June 2018
    Now would probably be a good time to comment on the TV Model I bought from @miserneil a month ago (so the honeymoon period is over).

For a couple of years I played Keef in a Stones tribute (hence my handle) and for that purpose I acquired a 1987 DC Junior in wine red. It weighed as much as a small car, but it did that Junior 'thing' (see below). I have since been looking for a good Junior, ideally a double-cut in TV yellow. Originals go for a silly money, and it seems to be almost impossible to get a modern Gibson that fits the bill. There is always something I don't want - robot tuning, Tun-o-matic bridge, pickup too close to bridge, whatever - or a £3k+ price tag!

Neil put one of his prototype builds up for sale on this forum, and I was lucky enough to get in first. Within seconds of plugging it in, I knew it was a corker. Even with 11s fitted, it played perfectly, and yes, it did 'the thing'. Here's what I mean: Set up a light crunch sound on your amp, then turn the guitar volume and tone down to about 5 or 6. Play a few chords and open-string licks, and it will sound almost as though there is an acoustic in the mix.

Having got the guitar home, I discovered it is as brilliant for country as it is for rock. I wimped out and fitted a hybrid string set (10s on top, 11s on the bottom) to allow me to indulge in some country-style bending.

The guitar came with a plain headstock, and it didn't seem right to me to put Gibson decals on it, so I made my own decal based on a Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers t-shirt design. Below are:
    (1) one of @miserneil's pics,
    (2) a pic of my the headstock with DIY decal, and
    (3) a video of Emmylou Harris, with guitarist Franck Reckard playing 2 corking solos on a TV model - enjoy!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    @miserneil  I’m loving the machine heads on ^ SC.   What brand are they please? They would look ace on my Goldtop =)
    tFB Trader
    tone1 said:
    @miserneil  I’m loving the machine heads on ^ SC.   What brand are they please? They would look ace on my Goldtop =)
    They are all Kluson '3 on a plate' tuners which I age myself. You might need to check the spacing though if they are replacing single tuners, I think they are different.
    (formerly miserneil)
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 115
    Fantastic playing in that clip, Frank appears to have a b-bender in that TV junior, can't quite decide if that is sacrilege or the coolest thing ever!
  • Keefy said:
    Now would probably be a good time to comment on the TV Model I bought from @miserneil a month ago (so the honeymoon period is over).

For a couple of years I played Keef in a Stones tribute (hence my handle) and for that purpose I acquired a 1987 DC Junior in wine red. It weighed as much as a small car, but it did that Junior 'thing' (see below). I have since been looking for a good Junior, ideally a double-cut in TV yellow. Originals go for a silly money, and it seems to be almost impossible to get a modern Gibson that fits the bill. There is always something I don't want - robot tuning, Tun-o-matic bridge, pickup too close to bridge, whatever - or a £3k+ price tag!

Neil put one of his prototype builds up for sale on this forum, and I was lucky enough to get in first. Within seconds of plugging it in, I knew it was a corker. Even with 11s fitted, it played perfectly, and yes, it did 'the thing'. Here's what I mean: Set up a light crunch sound on your amp, then turn the guitar volume and tone down to about 5 or 6. Play a few chords and open-string licks, and it will sound almost as though there is an acoustic in the mix.

Having got the guitar home, I discovered it is as brilliant for country as it is for rock. I wimped out and fitted a hybrid string set (10s on top, 11s on the bottom) to allow me to indulge in some country-style bending.

The guitar came with a plain headstock, and it didn't seem right to me to put Gibson decals on it, so I made my own decal based on a Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers t-shirt design. Below are:
    (1) one of @miserneil's pics,
    (2) a pic of my the headstock with DIY decal, and
    (3) a video of Emmylou Harris, with guitarist Franck Reckard playing 2 corking solos on a TV model - enjoy!

The one that got away... #yousnoozeyoulose 
    i kbew it would be a keeper @Keefy ; 
  • Love the logo too, very cool
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    The one that got away... #yousnoozeyoulose 
    i kbew it would be a keeper @Keefy ; 
    Love the logo too, very cool
    :)
    tFB Trader

'59 DC Model in Aniline Cherry which will eventually fade out to a beautiful russet brown just like the originals did when exposed to UV.

You can follow the making of this guitar here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/134322/1959-dc-junior-build-thread.
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Beautiful work Neil.
    tFB Trader
    Beautiful work Neil.
    Thank you Steve, coming from your good self, I really appreciate that! :)
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader

'59 DC Model in Aged TV Yellow...I just offered up one of my NOS Celluloid guards against this one and a huge smile flashed across my face, it's going to look very authentic indeed! :)
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 401
    Loving these build threads.  Very fine work Sir.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 724
    Umiserneil said:

'59 DC Model in Aged TV Yellow...I just offered up one of my NOS Celluloid guards against this one and a huge smile flashed across my face, it's going to look very authentic indeed! :)
    Let's see it with scratchplate in situ.:)
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 311
    These look fantastic Neil. I love the prototype I bought from you last year...I'm always getting positive comments on it from other guitarists...everyone that's tried it now covets it! Glad to see you're getting this venture off the ground. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    damm73 said:
    These look fantastic Neil. I love the prototype I bought from you last year...I'm always getting positive comments on it from other guitarists...everyone that's tried it now covets it! Glad to see you're getting this venture off the ground. 
    Oh Wow! That’s brilliant to hear @damm73, so pleased it’s serving you well!

I posted a couple of pictures on a Les Paul Junior Facebook page yesterday and the response and enquiries has been phenomenal which is great and it’s such a boost hearing from people who have them and are enjoying them! :)
    (formerly miserneil)