Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tab software - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tab software

What's Hot
Can anyone recommend some (preferably open source) tab software for Windows 8.1?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I'm not running windows 8.1 but I think powertab works ok  http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Powertab won't install without me also installing loads of other stuff.  Something I did not like the look of started scanning my computer, so I uninstalled it.  I've been using Ubuntu for years, which is great for open source stuff.  On Windows it's just frightening - too many viruses.  Any other recommendations?
    Not that Id recommend.  Powertab is a very small install and nothing else should install with it.  Are you sure your not clicking the wrong links?  Those download host sights are often confusing and almost encourage you to install the wrong files.

I've used Powertab for years but I also have Guitar Pro which I also bought years ago.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1470
    daveww said:
    Not that Id recommend.  Powertab is a very small install and nothing else should install with it.  Are you sure your not clicking the wrong links?  Those download host sights are often confusing and almost encourage you to install the wrong files.

I've used Powertab for years but I also have Guitar Pro which I also bought years ago.
    I didnt even know this existed, will have a go at downloading tonight using win 8.1 see how i get on 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 474
    There's also tuxguitar. 

http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/

Fully open source and, as the name suggests, started off life on Linux.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    While you're at it can anyone recommend a good tab/chord chart app for Android?
    I want a simple app version of a chord/tab pad-book... but all the ones I've found so far are overkill.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Finally got round to installing Powertab again - yes, I was being a fool.  I like it, it's clear, easy and quick - thanks for the recommendation @daveww
    Pleased it worked out.  Tabs are evil but these some good ones at http://www.tabscout.com/ wher youcan just search for the powertabs
  • Cheers for the tabs.  One thing I'm wondering about is if you can get the chords to be played audibly in the playback?  I don't suppose you know do you?
    Can be done where they're included in the tab but I haven't written tabs on this for years. Best way to learn us probably just to search on YouTube. There are quite a few tutorials.
  • Okay ta - will do.