Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Audacity/Reaper - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Audacity/Reaper

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2890

No problem dude, just have a muck around with it, it's not hugely complicated :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rprrpr Frets: 302
    edited April 2014
    Reaper has a template or recording drums called Readrums-
    Also if you google it, there is a few tutorials.
    You're gonna need samples of drum hits to load into it-if you need anyPM me and I'll try to help.
    Save Readrums in the Track Template folder in the Reaper file and it should appear in the Track/insert track from template folder.
    Highlight the amount of bars you want to program and go to Insert/ New MIDI item.
    If you double click it the grid will appear with the drums marked. You can change the time divisions etc  at the bottom.
    Hope this helps
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 212
    edited April 2014
    I found Addictive drums to be pretty easy to use in Reaper if you just want to get a drum groove going. (There's a free trial version).

Theres an excellent tutorial on youtube, too.

Edit: This one...

FWIW I went down the Readrums / sample route and found it as painful as pulling teeth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1470
    rpr said:
    Reaper has a template or recording drums called Readrums-
    Also if you google it, there is a few tutorials.
    You're gonna need samples of drum hits to load into it-if you need anyPM me and I'll try to help.
    Save Readrums in the Track Template folder in the Reaper file and it should appear in the Track/insert track from template folder.
    Highlight the amount of bars you want to program and go to Insert/ New MIDI item.
    If you double click it the grid will appear with the drums marked. You can change the time divisions etc  at the bottom.
    Hope this helps
    :)
     Thank you for your help and kind offer much appreciated! will look into this cheers.
    Misterg said:
    I found Addictive drums to be pretty easy to use in Reaper if you just want to get a drum groove going. (There's a free trial version).

Theres an excellent tutorial on youtube, too.

Edit: This one...

FWIW I went down the Readrums / sample route and found it as painful as pulling teeth.
     I will have a look at the tutorial thanks very much.
    edited April 2014
    JAYJO said:
      I will have a look at the tutorial thanks very much.
    After about 15 minutes, the plot gets a bit lost in synching up MP3 files. At that point, you can skip to this tutorial (edit to insert the right one..!):

...and use the 'Addictive Drums Host' track that was created in the first tutorial to drop stuff into / loop, etc.
    Bidley said:

What are you looking to do? Make a basic track or export one?

Basically, the grid is your drum sounds. Add a mark to the grid to make that drum sound at that point in the loop. The panel on the left is your settings for that particular loop. If you want to change tempo and/or time signature for the whole song, you can do this in the settings menu. The bar at the top right is your sequencer, highlight the loops you make in the box in the top left (you can create more by clicking the '+' button above it, you can also name the loops here too), then click the boxes in the sequencer. You can use this to arrange your loops into a song.

Exporting I'll explain as best I can when I get home, I need the program in front of me really... Hope all this helps, I'm not the best at explaining stuff. The key is to mess around with the grid until you can make a standard beat, everything will fall into place from there.

Ive got the hang of putting some grooves together and now im looking to export so i can drop them in reaper. Ive tried a couple of times and not having much success? I will probably go for addictive drums eventually but i would still like to get grip of this drumtrack software so any pointers appreciated cheers mate.
    Ive tried to downlaod addictive drums and i think ive made a pigs ear of it. Spent most of the night trying to find it. 
    I joined the forum, gave me details etc and tried to download the free. version. 
    Ive no icon to click on etc.
     I did find evidence of the downloader in one of my files. I clicked on explore and theres a couple more (I think to do with the downloader). When i click on one it says empty all (files or pages sorry cant recall). Does anyone know anything about this. Ive posted a question in the forum and i think i will be told to read the installation guide which i have and still none the wiser! Thanks in advance for any advice on this.  
    You won't get an icon.

It has probably installed to something like C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins

If you can verify that it's there, the easiest way[*] to use it is to include that path in Reaper's list of VST paths ( http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Preferences_Plugins_VST ) and then get Reaper to re-scan.

You should then be able to 'summon it up' as in the first tutorial video above through Reaper.

[*] Not the neatest, but it works.

okey dokey will have another go tonight. Thanks for your help!!
    ive found addictive drums in the documents folder but cant get it to go in reaper. when i try to add it says create a file?
    Did AD actually install?

I guess you are running Windows?

I have an Addictive drums folder at: C:\Program Files (x86)\XLN Audio\Addictive Drums

(The (x86) bit will only be there if you are running a 64 bit Windows).

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh143/werdnayarg/webstuf/Explore1_zps40aee20f.jpg

AFAIK, you can ignore that folder and everything in it - AD knows about it.

I also have the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins folder which contains the file that Reaper needs to have in its VSTi search path (see link to Reaper wiki above for how to do this):

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh143/werdnayarg/webstuf/Explore2_zps1f190150.jpg

Once you have figured out how everything is supposed to work it's pretty easy, but I found it immensly confusing to start with.

I have the ad icons etc and i am able to use it as a free trial but cant get it into reaper. Idk If this means i have ad downloaded. I did a comp search and found ad in lots of files including the steinberg one.( i couldnt get any to go in reaper. They have since gone awol and i cant find them again. I am using 64 bit windows 8.1. I will try again using your ref including 86. Thanks mate.

JAYJO said:
    ... cant get it into reaper....
    You need to find the location of the 'Addictive Drums.dll' file  - (I don't know how Windows 8.1 is organised, sorry).

Once you have found it, make a note of the exact location (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins ).

Open Reaper and go to 'Options' -> 'Preferences' and find the Plug-ins / VST option:

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/images/a/a5/VSTprefs.png

Check what it says in the VST Plug-in paths box. If it doesn't include the location that you've made a note of, then you need to add it to the box. You can either click on the 'Add' button and find your way to the location of the Addictive Drums.dll file, or just type the location directly into the box (don't over-write anything that's already in there, just add a semicolon (;)  then the full path - e.g. ";C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins")

Once you have done either of the above, click the 'Apply' button then the 'Rescan' button, then click OK - that should be it.

To check: still in Reaper, go to 'Insert' -> 'Virtual Instrument on new track....' In the window that shows up, one of the options should be Addictive Drums:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh143/werdnayarg/webstuf/Explore3_zps6340167d.jpg

If it's there, then you should be able to follow the instructions in that first tutorial I posted to get it set up from there.

Good luck! :)

Misterg said:
    JAYJO said:
    You need to find the location of the 'Addictive Drums.dll' file  - (I don't know how Windows 8.1 is organised, sorry).

Once you have found it, make a note of the exact location (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins ).

Open Reaper and go to 'Options' -> 'Preferences' and find the Plug-ins / VST option:

Check what it says in the VST Plug-in paths box. If it doesn't include the location that you've made a note of, then you need to add it to the box. You can either click on the 'Add' button and find your way to the location of the Addictive Drums.dll file, or just type the location directly into the box (don't over-write anything that's already in there, just add a semicolon (;)  then the full path - e.g. ";C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins")

Once you have done either of the above, click the 'Apply' button then the 'Rescan' button, then click OK - that should be it.

To check: still in Reaper, go to 'Insert' -> 'Virtual Instrument on new track....' In the window that shows up, one of the options should be Addictive Drums:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh143/werdnayarg/webstuf/Explore3_zps6340167d.jpg

If it's there, then you should be able to follow the instructions in that first tutorial I posted to get it set up from there.

Ok Mate, I will have another go tonight. Thanks again for all your help.  :)
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890

Looks like you're sorted, but if you want help exporting Drum Tracks then PM me (I didn't see your reply until just now!).

Bidley said:

Looks like you're sorted, but if you want help exporting Drum Tracks then PM me (I didn't see your reply until just now!).

Thanks mate, will do!  ( I am still interested in the drum tracks).
    Misterg said:
    JAYJO said:

The good news is ive managed to get into the vst box following your instruction (i found a vst file and entered that which brought up steinberg etc so thank you.(AD is in reaper now.)
    I then went to the tutorial but hit a snag. On the tutorial ad opens up after selecting instrument etc allowing you to switch on all the individual drum parts before you create the folder ie Drum Track, Drum host etc. On mine this is not the case. I get a grey panel with various settings etc which looks completely different and so i cant really go much further as activating these buttons(on each individual drum piece) is what puts ad sound into reaper. The sample (free) version i think only gives you 4 drum pieces anyway so i was wondering if this has something to do with it. all the faders are there down the side and in the mixer along the bottom etc.Ive not got any sound out of it yet though.I could probably create the folder but i would not have activated the 13 individual tracks. As usual any help is very much appreciated. 

I'm not sure what you're seeing...

I only have the sample version of AD, and it worked just like the tutorial (but with fewer items in the kit).

AD shows up in the VSTi list within Reaper?

Make sure the 'Default VST configuration windows to generic UI' check-box is NOT ticked (in the Reaper VST preferences, as above)...

Erm... I can't think of anything else.

:-/
    Misterg said:

I only have the sample version of AD, and it worked just like the tutorial (but with fewer items in the kit).

Make sure the 'Default VST configuration windows to generic UI' check-box is NOT ticked (in the Reaper VST preferences, as above)...

Ok Mate, i will have another look tonight and see WHATS GOING ON!! :D Thanks again mate. The panel i get looks like all the settings for all the AD track faders i think.Some are marked off. If i click on effects on one of the tracks then the AD sample appears.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    I've started using AIR Ignite as a basic tool for creating drum and keyboard parts, it's very quick and intuitive

It's free to download for owners of Akai, Alesis or M-Audio MIDI keyboards, I had a 2 year old Alesis keyboard and I was able to download Ignite using it's serial number. The only issue I have is that there is bad latency when I record guitar audio using my Zoom G3. However for drum and MIDI instruments it's great and you can export your tracks as wav into Reaper and record your guitar tracks there.

Misterg said:

The UI box was checked. I unchecked it and proceeded with the tutorial! saved as template etc and it seems to be working so im chuffed to bits now. re the panel i was getting when opening ad, if you click on the ui button on the ad screen you will get the panel instead of the drum kit. I will have another look at the 2nd tutorial tonight and see how i go. Thanks for taking the time to help me with this its much appreciated. John. 
    ps I posted in the xln forum a week ago and although there is activity there no one bothered to answer my question.(i think they may have heard of me!  :)
    Great stuff!

Glad it worked :)