Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Orville - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Orville

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 15793
we have had the Trek threads, anyone watching this?

its odd and not what I expected.  As the comedy/spoof it was advertised as it fails miserably. It's certainly not Family Guy humour in a Star Trek package.

It's just not that funny most of the time,  and it's too close to the source material to work as a spoof.  

it is more Star Trek than the new Star Trek.  

weirdly, I think I am starting to like it.  A few episodes in its finding its feet.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2202
    Orville? Where’s Keith when you need him?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    WezV said:
    we have had the Trek threads, anyone watching this?

its odd and not what I expected.  As the comedy/spoof it was advertised as it fails miserably. It's certainly not Family Guy humour in a Star Trek package.

It's just not that funny most of the time,  and it's too close to the source material to work as a spoof.  

it is more Star Trek than the new Star Trek.  

weirdly, I think I am starting to like it.  A few episodes in its finding its feet.
    I'm waiting for it to be watchable in the UK by "legal" means.

Seth McFarlane is a MASSIVE trek fan, he's actually in an episode of Enterprise, so I'm not surprised he has made a genuinely nice homage to it.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    It's Star Trek with a mild sense of humour rather than a flat-out comedy show. Strong flavours of Galaxy Quest, which is no bad thing.

Which reminds me I need to bump the STD thread...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    They even had Jonathan Frakes directing the last episode... and it was the best one yet
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited October 2017
    WezV said:
    They even had Jonathan Frakes directing the last episode... and it was the best one yet
    Really? I didn't realise! He's a good little director. Known as "Two takes Frakes", apparently, due to his love of getting things done right and fast..!

EDIT: Wiki tells me that Tom Paris (Robert Duncan McNeill) did Ep 2 as well. I love it!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Ahhhh, I want to watch that!
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader

Yeah ive seen them (of course  )  When I first saw the trailer I thought it was a film and I just thought...  Man that looks terrible..   As a series..  I actually quite like it.. 

I do agree though hes kind of taking it a bit serious compared to his usual style. But as said, hes a huge Sci Fi fan so id imagine for him its a dream come true.. And why not, hes earned it I think. But it seems that its a bit of, the show is neither quite an all out comedy or a straight Sci Fi show and maybe needs to be one or the other to progress?

But then most new series take time to get on their feet so I will keep watching with hope.  And yeah the last episode was actually pretty good.. 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    I thought this thread was going to be about Orville Gibson..
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Is there a U.K. release date for it?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Why inflict it on paying viewers ;)
    sweepy said:
    Why inflict it on paying viewers ;)
    Idle curiosity...(and I really love his other stuff)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    So far its been terrible, almost as cringeworthy as A Million Ways to Die in the West, 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I didn't really enjoy the first episode.. then i sort of got into it...

Really wasn't what i was expecting.

Where are you guys watching it??
    Where are you guys watching it??
    Good question...
    Most new TV shows are sensible enough to realise they need to do a worldwide release at a similar time. They get watched legally when people have that option.
    WezV said:
    Most new TV shows are sensible enough to realise they need to do a worldwide release at a similar time. They get watched legally when people have that option.
    Completely agreed, Fox have the UK rights for the Orville and are sitting on them, I have no idea why but it will cost them viewers.

They did the same thing with Agent Carter as well.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Necrobumping to ask ... is this really just Star Trek with sex jokes?

Having jumped on Disney+ £1.99 x3 months offer, I'm now three episodes in. It has its charms, and it's clearly a genuine tribute to ST, but the joke setups often ruin the sci-fi plot. The jelly bloke's lusting after the Doc would work in Futurama, but is super annoying here. Especially when the show's trying to keep to the Star Trek social commentary thing.

Maybe I just need to give it time?

Or maybe Seth MacFarlane is a one-trick pony?
    yes and no, it certainly starts that way.  It gets better.  its not perfect, but it is enjoyable Trek
  • It gets better with every episode through the entire 3 series run.

Like 99% of real Trek the first series is hard work, but it is certainly worth it.
    OK - will stick it out for the first season.

(And hope that he stops doing the pickle jar gag with the definitely-not-Vulcan.)
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    goldtop said:
    OK - will stick it out for the first season.

(And hope that he stops doing the pickle jar gag with the definitely-not-Vulcan.)
    Yeah, the show was sold as a comedy so the first series is a bit muddled  at first but it does get better. Apparently Seth Macfarlane never wanted it to be a comedy but it was the only way he could get it commissioned. Some episodes are really good and directed by Jonathan Frakes so have a real familiar vibe. As said in previous posts, its not perfect but not bad at all.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    Much like Ted Lasso, while I was watching I was thinking “this is really quite awful, so why am I enjoying it” and in The Orville’s case it was because it didn’t require much brain effort and was a very gentle pastiche of Trek that passed an hour nicely.

After the fast pace and multiple plot lines in things like Succession, Billions etc, it just makes a nice change.

I’d definitely recommend it to any Trek fans. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    edited September 2023
    S1 E8 Into The Fold is the best episode for me.  Very dark and raises interesting questions that are never answered.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    It grows up and finds its own path more with every episode. In many ways it's a more worthy successor to Star Trek than the The Next Gen was. 

I came late to the party and getting to go through all three series at my own pace was brilliant. Also the day the penny dropped I was watching Chad Coleman and that Fred Johnson was Klyden blew my tiny mind.
  • One of my favourite shows of recent years.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My wife is working through all episodes at the moment.

It’s Seth’s love letter to Star Trek The Next Generation with 10% added humour. 

I’m not fussed but I can see from walking around with it on in the background that it’s a good mindless throw away relaxing break from reality if you like 90s Trek.

I'll watch a few more and see. It has its charms. I wonder if there are cameos among the latex-faced?
  • goldtop said:
    I'll watch a few more and see. It has its charms. I wonder if there are cameos among the latex-faced?
    Many.