Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Is Being a Good Colleague Important When Working With Other Musos - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Is Being a Good Colleague Important When Working With Other Musos

What's Hot
tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Young female pupil of mine has started doing live gigs working with some other jazzers. Because of her positivie attitude - a lot of talent and being polite people are now starting to recommend her for other gigs. Not being a diva pays off perhaps
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    Absolutely. I noticed that while gigging with BHD - because we did our best to be professional, always chatted with the staff and other bands, and went out of our way to make life easier for others involved...we always got repeat gigs and referrals whereas a lot of the other bands would struggle.

The most telling question - usually from a bunch of guys who turned up late, had to beg other bands for gear on the night and then sat in the corner getting drunk - was, "How do you guys get paid for doing one set of originals? We've been going for three years and we're still playing for free...".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I would always recomend when asked bands and solo's who I got on with over very talented diva's
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm lucky in that all my band are generally very nice guys so no arguments or hissy fits. But it took a long time of divas and bell ends to get here, probably 25 years !
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited August 2013
    Quite seriously, being a nice hardworking bandmate is the most important thing. 9 times out of 10 I'd much rather work with someone competent but affable than a genuis prodigy who's a dick.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    A positive attitude and good sense of humour will get you much further than any crass petulant backbiting. A band is a team and each member needs to pull their weight.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

Not just as a bandmate, but in life in general, treating people with respect will (usually) get it back.

I did hear a story a while ago of a (possibly famous?) lady singerist (I can't remember the name) who hired a band that turned up on time, did the job, and didn't create any (well minimal) issues, but weren't virtuoso musicians, but were competent. They were hired for the exact reasons outlined in this discussion .

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)