Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I Never Really Got... Great Pedals You Couldn't Get On With - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I Never Really Got... Great Pedals You Couldn't Get On With

What's Hot
randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

I was sorting out a cupboard in the studio today an I came across my Zen Drive.  I've owned it for years, every now and then I get it out yet although I would agree it is a great pedal it just doesn't do it for me.  That said, I keep it in the hope that one day we will click.

Is there a 'great' pedal that you just couldn't get on with?

Not that you thought it crap, over-rated or plain old snake oil.  A pedal that you understand the love for and have seen other use beautifully but it was never going to be a Scott and Charlene type love between you.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Strangely I feel pretty much the same about my zendrive - I can't bring myself to get rid of it though for some reason...

I used to think the suhr riot was very over rated but once I tweaked the loop levels on the g system is came to life and sounds great.

I can think of two pedals that I failed to get on with in the past - Ibanez SD9 and a keeley ds1 - both were purchases based on their reputation and both sounded bland to me - I assume it's the way I was using them but they didn't last very long.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

Most Boss Distortion pedals, they don't sound right to me. They always sounded too harsh (Metal zone etc) I have a Boss Mega distortion which does the job, but is still a little harsh. I only use this for practise making sure I can keep strings quiet, and picking clean under a huge amount of background noise. 

I am starting to like their O/D pedals now though - SD-1 and SD-2 both sound good to me.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Well if either of you want to sell your Zendrive I'm here!
    ;)

Can't think of a pedal I never bonded with. I can usually get "something" out of everything. Thats probably why I have so many!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal - bloody fantastic bit of kit, but I'm just so used to getting all my basic dirt tones from the amp that I couldn't really deal with it in a meaningful way. Thankfully, I didn't actually pay anything for it ;)
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Any compressor
    Boss CE-2
    SansAmp GT2

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    My Freekish Blues Alpha drive - great pedal, but for some reason it just doesn't sound any better then say, my Joyo Ultimate Drive, funny one that ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Electric Mistress flanger.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The Timmy/Tim. I've had both (the Timmy twice) but they've just never become a go-to pedal or had a permanent place in my set-up. 

Weirdly the Lovepedal OD11, which some say is a Timmy clone, has clicked with me and it's one of my favourite drive pedals. 

Similar story with the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. I've had two (V2 and V3) and again it's just never managed to work it's way into my set-up. 

I'm sure it's me though, but also they're pedals that are pretty easy to move on, so when I've been after something new they've be the obvious ones that'll sell.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Ibanez TS9 - couldn't make it do anything in my rig that my SD1 couldn't do better. Would still try another one, but not at 3x the cost of the Boss...
  • The Timmy/Tim. I've had both (the Timmy twice) but they've just never become a go-to pedal or had a permanent place in my set-up. 

Weirdly the Lovepedal OD11, which some say is a Timmy clone, has clicked with me and it's one of my favourite drive pedals. 

Although it amounts to sacrilege I preferred the sound Lovepedal Amp 11 to the Timmy or Tim.  They are virtually identical (bar small variance in the tone stack) but I think it is down to the 4558 chip vs the 4559 in the Timmy.  In like for like circuits I have always preferred the 4558.
    ICBM said:
    Any compressor
    Boss CE-2
    SansAmp GT2
    I have such a fierce hate of guitar compressors.  When I was a youngster I used to think 'I love Gilmour's tones so I need a compressor'.  I tried so many and detested them all.  I was a source of great frustration.  Now I listen to the Gilmour cleans or light drives using a compressor and realise that I don't really dig that tone.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I also didn't really gel with the Zen Drive though I didn't hate it either.

I don't think I've had many pedals I totally hated, just ones that didn't really do what I needed them for. 
    The Crunchbox was completely brilliant, but totally wrong for what I wanted. 
  • Cry Baby...um, no thanks. Got a CAE MC-404 now and I like it more, although it is ostensibly the same kind of thing. Of course, I never use it...
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6806
    tFB Trader
    Boss Blues Driver. Just found it fuzzy and lacking.

I had a Lazy J Cruiser and was very underwhelmed with it to begin with, but after spending some time with it and really dailing it in, I love it.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    Zodiac51 said:
    My Freekish Blues Alpha drive - great pedal, but for some reason it just doesn't sound any better then say, my Joyo Ultimate Drive, funny one that ;)
    LOL

I can't think of any of the classics offhand that I don't at least like, for certain things.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Line6 stuff, namely POD 1 & 2 and M series. They just don't seem to work for me with my favourite pedals but I also tire very easily of the sounds after a very short time.
    Fulltone Clyde Wah Deluxe too

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Fuzz Factory.
    Impossible to set and forget.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2148
    tFB Trader

Klones.

Meh.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    octatonic said:
    Fuzz Factory.
    Impossible to set and forget.
    I just set mine to all knobs (apart from volume) at 12 o'clock when I'm playing live. Seems to work with more or less anything I play.

I'll also add - Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. I know some people love this because you can blend clean sound back into the 'Tube Screamer' to make it sound less boxy and compressed. To me it just sounded broken, like the overdrive was sitting on top of the clean, and separate from it. Easily the worst (for me) 'TS-type' pedal I've tried.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    Had a love hate relationship with fulltone ods (both FD & OCD). Thought they sounded well, but never found the right moment to use them.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    I have a Digitech Whammy DT and I think tech-wise it is pretty amazing. But I have to confess, I only really like Whammy on Bass. I think it sounds a bit crap on guitar, and so I never use it!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    Another vote for compressors. I bought one years ago, put it in my signal chain, switched it on and fiddled with it, thought "what's the point in this?" and that was that. To be fair I don't play the right kind of music to warrant it.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    it would be a shorter list of things that i did get on with...
    i couldnt get on with:
    Ibanez TS-9
    Boss DS-1
    Catalibread DLS
    Mojo Hand FX Rook Royale (the rook half anyway i loved the boost!)
    and im not a fan of my joyo ultimate drive either it just makes me sound like a bon jovi reject with any dirt pedal and sounds like shite through a clean amp :S
    also hate my compressor with any dirty sound, its great for rockabilly though :D

Love OCD's,valve sporkers and lovepedal elevan amps though... go figure
    Bidley said:
    Another vote for compressors. I bought one years ago, put it in my signal chain, switched it on and fiddled with it, thought "what's the point in this?" and that was that. To be fair I don't play the right kind of music to warrant it.
    It's far worse than that for me - I actually quite like the sound they give when I'm playing in isolation, and at least a couple of my favourite players use them all the time. But live, I detest them - it feels like wading through treacle wearing diving boots. I can't stand the lack of direct dynamic control and always end up turning it down to the point it's not doing anything, or just straight off. Oddly enough overdrive/distortion (which is also highly compressed) doesn't have the same effect.

• shadyshady Frets: 250
    I managed to pick up a 'sought after' Boss FZ-2 for cheaps a couple of years ago. 

The boost function was useful but I couldn't dial in an actual fuzz sound I liked, great for downtooned doom I guess...but fuck all else. 

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 306
    I never bonded with the 2 tube ODs I had, a zendrive 2 and a BK Tubedriver.

• Sadly, I've realised I don't get on great with the Marshall guvnor. It sounds amazing, but something doesn't quite feel right... I recorded it, and it sounded perfect yet it feels odd to me. I'm going to see if I can get a Duncan power grid or a boss dyna drive (both of which I do get on with) and see how I go.

I can make the guvnor work for me if I run a tubescreamer into it and it sorts the feels. I don't want to lose it because it sounds too good!
  • ICBM;15818" said:
    Bidley said:

It's far worse than that for me - I actually quite like the sound they give when I'm playing in isolation, and at least a couple of my favourite players use them all the time. But live, I detest them - it feels like wading through treacle wearing diving boots. I can't stand the lack of direct dynamic control and always end up turning it down to the point it's not doing anything, or just straight off. Oddly enough overdrive/distortion (which is also highly compressed) doesn't have the same effect.
    Try the visual sound route 66. I am the same as you, and have the effect where it does very little compression, but it does add a little something to the sound and everything sounds better with it on. Sorta a magic button for my clean tones.

That said, it's probably a clone of one you've tried already so maybe you're just anti compressor :)
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 103
    I'm the same with the Guv'nor. Maybe I just never used it with the right setup, but I just can't seem to get on with it no mater what I do.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

To be honest anything made by EHX. Electric Mistress, Fuzzes x3, POG, Chorus, etc. All sound great on their own but as soon as the band starts up it all goes wrong

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• MojoPinMojoPin Frets: 7
    Had the Timmy twice and sold it twice.
    Great pedal but the gain and eq controls were too much interactive.
    That is a great feature for most, but a PITA for me!