Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rift Tweed Vee (formally 'V-Front Super 5B4 Build') - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rift Tweed Vee (formally 'V-Front Super 5B4 Build')

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• john_rjohn_r Frets: 115
    Would love to see and hear how this turned out!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 2989
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader
    Ok, I owe everyone an apology for not updating this thread regularly but there is a genuine reason behind my decision to go quiet, which I'll explain...

During this build, it quickly became apparent that this amplifier was no longer just a fun out-of-hours project to keep me busy, but instead, it started heading down a path towards full-blown development with a view to make the amplifier available to the public.

You see, after the first fire up and playtest I had a grin the size of Oxfordshire on my face which meant I now had to look into making this amp commercially viable. This entails certain technical details and IP that I couldn't post on an internet forum, so pulled down the blinds and went into development mode.

A few months back after the final design was built and tested, I submitted the amplifier to The Guitar Magazine for review which can be found in this month's issue (out today!).

I hope that's cool with everyone? I really wanted to keep this thread going with loads of details and updates but the possibility of making a 5B4 for people to actually buy was far more important.

Go buy a copy and read the review, it's worth it

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    That's very cool that this model has made it to being one of your product range!
    But please can we have more photos here!!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Awesome!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Congratulations! Do my dibs still apply? 
    tFB Trader
    merlin said:
    Congratulations! Do my dibs still apply? 
    You’re first on the list :)
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2394
    I just read the review in The Guitar Magazine. Very favourable. Interesting that the reviewer found the choice of speakers made a big difference to the amp, more than might be expected.

Does this amp’s circuit differ from your TV front Pro Chris?
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    I just read the review in The Guitar Magazine. Very favourable. Interesting that the reviewer found the choice of speakers made a big difference to the amp, more than might be expected.
    Yes, it's a remarkable thing how the amp changes when switching speaker types.

Does this amp’s circuit differ from your TV front Pro Chris?
    Slightly, but they're very close. The architecture is the same, just differing component values.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    For anyone interested in the construction of the original version of this great amp see:
    http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/features/vintage-bench-test-1950-5b4-fender-super-1956-5e4-a-fender-super/
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    RiftAmps said:

So, this thread is going to document every stage of the research, build, testing, and completion of the V-Front Super, along with my ramblings and thoughts as we go along. I'm going to go full nerd on this, so brace yourself for lots of sums, measurements, and tedious back and forth. I'll include lots and lots of hi-res photos for those that just want to see the process.

So a meticulously documented build, has little to no documentation whatsoever (IP?!) and morphs into a sales/promo thread. I don't see the point anymore. You should move this thread to the made in UK subforum where it belongs. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

So, this thread is going to document every stage of the research, build, testing, and completion of the V-Front Super, along with my ramblings and thoughts as we go along. I'm going to go full nerd on this, so brace yourself for lots of sums, measurements, and tedious back and forth. I'll include lots and lots of hi-res photos for those that just want to see the process.

So a meticulously documented build, has little to no documentation whatsoever (IP?!)
    Apologies @Winny_Pooh , all of the photos that I'd added to accompany the text had disappeared owing to a change of host server - now fixed and back up for all to see.

I don't see the point anymore. You should move this thread to the made in UK subforum where it belongs. 

Agreed, and good point. I have now moved this thread. Thanks for the advice.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6038
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

So a meticulously documented build, has little to no documentation whatsoever (IP?!) and morphs into a sales/promo thread. I don't see the point anymore. You should move this thread to the made in UK subforum where it belongs. 
    This sort of comment will kill the chances of any builder bothering to post here with anything of interest. We have quite a few builders  from amp makers to guitar builders, pickup winders and pedal makers too. All of which are most likely gear nuts because they have taken the obsession into a business venture.

So the V front turned into a business venture.... of course it did, it looks cool as hell, nobody (it seems) has managed to recreate it prior to this  and as such i assume it has garnered a lot of commercial interest...

The fact the V-Front turned into a commercial item is neither here nor there, but doesn't take away from the fact that its a cool looking amp, the build thread was interesting, the results look amazing.

These sorts of threads are always going to tread the line as to whether they are classed as sales promo threads, why? because the OP is a business and anything of positive outcome/ interest will garner a positive promotion response to said business.

So what do builders do, just stay in the UK made subforum and never venture out? this place will become very dull, very quickly.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    I strongly suspect @Winny_Pooh is one of a very few Fretboarders to feel like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Chalky said:
    I strongly suspect @Winny_Pooh is one of a very few Fretboarders to feel like that.
    More like @Whiny_Pooh, am I right?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    DefaultM said:
    Chalky said:
    More like @Whiny_Pooh, am I right?
    Agreed, that was a grumpy post. I like the new pics and am genuinely keen to hear this amp. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Haha glad it was taken in the way intended.