Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who's on a diet? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who's on a diet?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oooh... you've got me worried now.

According to this page:- http://foodinfo.us/SourcesUnabridged.aspx?Nutr_No=263  Chocolate-cream type biscuits contain roughly 430mg of thiobromine per 100g.  On that basis, I reckon he's probably consumed about 30g of biscuit (minus the cream), so that would give him roughly 130mg of thiobromine (if he'd had the cream as well).  This page says that toxicity starts around 100-150mg / Kg body weight.  He's 11 Kg, so, that would mean I'd have to give him 1,100mg - 1,500mg of thiobromine to cause a toxic reaction.  So, my reckoning is that he's had about a tenth of the quantity that would start giving him trouble.  I think I'm fairly safe with that and don't need to rush him down the vets.  Still... I won't give it to him again.
    Yes, dogs are very sensitive to thiobromine.
    Glad he is ok- just keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited August 2013
    if you want to give your dog "human"  (ie non dog) choc  -  give em cheap white chocolate - there's fuck all choc in it.

our dogs have never gone for dog choc, and they've all been fine on a 'couple' of squares of tescos home brew.

All our dogs have eaten normal choc before,   infact Daisy once eat a whole box of guillian (sp?) shells.........all she got was hideous runs for 24 hours.

Most dogs can get away with eating a bit of milk choc.  Its plain choc you need to be wary off

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

My mate used to give his dog (sadly no longer with us, she was 16 though) a small box of Smarties, still in the box.

The dog, Misty, would open the box, pretty much without destroying the box, and eat the few Smarties in it. This was an occasional rather than an often treat......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)