Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fretboard Jams - the future - calling all North and South residents! - Events Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fretboard Jams - the future - calling all North and South residents!

What's Hot

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    I'm there for the norf one, would have done the Leicester one had I not been off on me jollies. Best start practising NOW
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    At this rate we will rival World of Leather for the number of guitarists on stage.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1071

9reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Basher said:

Superb. We must use this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    To determine the viable locations, ask who'd be interested in attending and their location.  Then work out where you're most likely to get a critical mass of people, given travelling distances & times.

"South" probably has a couple of hotspots.  Swindon, for historical reasons, and somewhere in the SE quadrant between Croydon & the M3.

The "North" is more difficult because they're all miserable bastards and it closes due to bad weather from Oct - Apr.  (The rest of the year it's still closed due to lack of any sensible reason for going there).

The first part of my post might be slightly more serious than the second.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:
    To determine the viable locations, ask who'd be interested in attending and their location.  Then work out where you're most likely to get a critical mass of people, given travelling distances & times.

"South" probably has a couple of hotspots.  Swindon, for historical reasons, and somewhere in the SE quadrant between Croydon & the M3.

The "North" is more difficult because they're all miserable bastards and it closes due to bad weather from Oct - Apr.  (The rest of the year it's still closed due to lack of any sensible reason for going there).

The first part of my post might be slightly more serious than the second.
    There was method in my Jan = South and May = North madness ;)
    edited August 2017
    On that note tho, is Swindon a viable spot for a south Jam? Does that suit enough of you southern types?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    TTony said:
    The "North" is more difficult because they're all miserable bastards
    Very true - I've barely raised a 'Lol' since I joined tFB.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winter is coming.. in Scotland.. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    I am certainly interested, if not a little intimidated, by the proposal of one darn sarf, sods law dictates that it will be on my working weekend and living where I do (Isle of Wight) I would prob have to stay overnight, however I'm up for it!......and a big thanks to those doing the organising, can't be easy.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    On that note tho, is Swindon a viable spot for a south Jam? Does that suit enough of you southern types?
    @TimmyO ;

Whats the population like out there nowadays?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    I'm happy to be involved in the Southern one.
    Maybe for the next one I do some guitar bass or keyboard playing, rather than drums.
    Or a mixture?

Swindon is perfect for me.
    octatonic said:
    I'm happy to be involved in the Southern one.
    Maybe for the next one I do some guitar bass or keyboard playing, rather than drums.
    Or a mixture?

Swindon is perfect for me.
    You will def. need a rest from drums!!

We will need to find a drummer up north and down south.. 

Swindon is looking like a possibility to capture both ends of the southern area...
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2202
    Swindon great idea. Closer than Leicester for me.

Thing is ... when i lived in Surrey, everything the other side of London was 'north'. Now I'm in Worcestershire, i guess everything that's past Junc 4a of the M5 is 'north'.
  • Well, for reference I would say South needs to be at least as south as Oxford/Reading/Swindon,

and North presumably can either be somewhere on a line in between Leeds and Manchester (not the motorway services either!!) or, we need to go reet up north and try to encourage some of our Celtic brethren..

or maybe both - maybe we could do a Scottish jam in between as well.. 
    If I'm coming down from Newcastle for a Midlands jam, you French twats can bloody well go proper North! Leeds is still the Midlands as far as I'm concerned! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Well, for reference I would say South needs to be at least as south as Oxford/Reading/Swindon,

and North presumably can either be somewhere on a line in between Leeds and Manchester (not the motorway services either!!) or, we need to go reet up north and try to encourage some of our Celtic brethren..

If I'm coming down from Newcastle for a Midlands jam, you French twats can bloody well go proper North! Leeds is still the Midlands as far as I'm concerned! 
    You raise a good point, m'lad.

Leeds (ish) is a good start for North.. or we could go the other side and go Preston way?
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I think a good reason why the September one took off so quickly is because Leicester is easily accessible from a wide area (eg direct train from Cambridge where I'm based). I'd therefore suggest central rather than West / East, say Oxford or even Watford / Milton Keynes rather than Swindon or Bristol.

I'd potentially be interested in the Southern one, and in the Northern one if it's in Leeds, as my folks live there :-)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Oxford is a good shout- I might be able to assist with finding a location with that as it is my patch.
    octatonic said:
    Oxford is a good shout- I might be able to assist with finding a location with that as it is my patch.
    I used to live round them parts so I know the area.

Location help always appreciated tho
  • Well, for reference I would say South needs to be at least as south as Oxford/Reading/Swindon,

You raise a good point, m'lad.

Leeds (ish) is a good start for North.. or we could go the other side and go Preston way?
    In all seriousness, Leeds is probably best given transport connections etc. If there's an Edinburgh one too that would be easily accessible.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    edited August 2017
    I'm in for "oop north".  I live in a hovel beside the M61 so can get fairly easily to Manchester / Leeds / southern Scotland or points between.

I might also be able to round up a tame(ish) drummer, although he is in two bands, so I couldn't ask him to turn down a paid gig.

*edit* If it's to be in May, I'd prefer early May, as Our Maud carts us off on our hols late May.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Eh up.

Yep I've organised Swindon ones in the past - happy to do so again (venue, hotels, whole weekend of general wine women and song if folk are up for that lol)

What Swindon lacks in charm.it.makes up for in communication  links, facilities and moderately priced beer.

Plus, you know, me
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Up for the South one. I'm in West Sussex, but suspect you'd need to be more Surrey/Berkshire for accessibility.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I'd be up for the North one. Leeds would be a very fair and reasonable compromise.

i am in Leeds. :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ricorico Frets: 1219
    I'm in for the Southern one. Would prefer any  location as long as it is in London or Kent or Sussex or Surrey or Hampshire. Apart from that I'm easy. 
  • I don't know much about the plan for these but do you have a rhythm section that will accompany? Will there be loose jams or just meeting to play a collection of songs?

I kind of imagination that drivelfest that was on TV around 20 years ago that featured Satriani, May, Walsh, etc. where they competed playing solos. And that's a bit of a turn-off.

Regards,

A miserable Northern bastard
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    I don't know much about the plan for these but do you have a rhythm section that will accompany? Will there be loose jams or just meeting to play a collection of songs?

I kind of imagination that drivelfest that was on TV around 20 years ago that featured Satriani, May, Walsh, etc. where they competed playing solos. And that's a bit of a turn-off.

Regards,

A miserable Northern bastard
    There will be write ups and media etc from the September jam soon so you can see exactly what's involved. Nothing like you imagine it...
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    There's something rather quaint about Manchester being described as "the North"...its not even halfway up! 
    I do agree - even Leeds is suspect north ;)
    Leeds is definitely southern north so quite ok.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I couldn't care less where a jam is, I have friends and family all over and travel lots so I'll find an excuse! 

• Swindon-ish would be good for me - I'm just down the road in Chippenham and wouldn't mind coming along to one if the timings are ok