Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Esus2b5 - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Esus2b5

ElxElx Frets: 408
Can someone help me please with the theory behind this chord please?

I know that a sus2 chord has its 3rd lowered one step, which makes the E triad in this case E, F sharp and B

Now, a David Bowie song "If you can see me" (from the new album which is brilliant BTW) lists this chord with the following fingering, low string to high, open E, C, F sharp, C and E again. Where the fuck is the flat 5 here?

I am really frustrated as I am self taught and just when I think I have learned something about how chords are made I come across something like this… :(

Many thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    The C is a #5, not a b5 - it's either wrongly labelled or else the chord should actually be
    0143x2 (or 0123x2 which would also be Esus2b5 and slightly more playable)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Elx said:
    Can someone help me please with the theory behind this chord please?

I know that a sus2 chord has its 3rd lowered one step, which makes the E triad in this case E, F sharp and B

Now, a David Bowie song "If you can see me" (from the new album which is brilliant BTW) lists this chord with the following fingering, low string to high, open E, C, F sharp, C and E again. Where the fuck is the flat 5 here?

I am really frustrated as I am self taught and just when I think I have learned something about how chords are made I come across something like this… :(

Many thanks!
    It could be an inversion (usually the E would then be the 3rd of a C maj type chord) - does it sound major or minor?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ElxElx Frets: 408
    Thanks guys, will have a listen a bit later, it was late last night and I was tired…and now the kids are doing my head in :)
  • Just a diminished chord but with a 2nd in in it rather a third, could also play E dim add 9 harmonically the same depending on as previous poster said is minor or major sounding, only real thing to watch is where you voice it, if you root it on the 5th string (as I would) then your top E is a 5th too so will need flattening also. Hope this helps.
  • Sorry my bad, just read the top properly, its and inversion of Esus2Aug, 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

I'd play

x78970

giving R/b5/R/2/R as a voicing.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TunezTunez Frets: 15
    What key is the song in? How you name a chord depends on its context. Assuming the dots to be written correctly*, you could call this chord Cb5/E, this would make perfect sense if the following chord was, for example, an Fmaj7…

(When there's a discrepancy in print it's often the dots that are correct, if anything)

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9793
    (late to the party)

C is a b6 with respect to E, although it has the same physical fingering as a #5 (which would be a B#)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724

My simple Sus chord thinking is:

Sus4 chords have the 3rd replaced by a 4th.

Sus2 chord have the 3rd replaced by a 2nd.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."