Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!! - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    aord43 said:
    Perhaps the comment about "shreddy stuff" should be taken as a warning to remember that the OP specifically says:

"The emphasis of this Jam is newcomers, those with less experience or none at all. However all levels of experience very much welcome."

So notwithstanding the second part of that comment, the first part must not be forgotten - Personally I have no performance or band experience despite having tinkered with the instrument for 20 years, and would be easily intimidated if I thought it was a session for experienced band members.

Not that I don't enjoy seeing and listening to people who are good at it, of course, and it's great to get inspiration from those for whom this is all in a day's work  =)
    Shred, chords, Oasis, Beatles, simple, hard, it can all be worked in over 5 hours!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4610
    aord43 said:
    Perhaps the comment about "shreddy stuff" should be taken as a warning to remember that the OP specifically says:

"The emphasis of this Jam is newcomers, those with less experience or none at all. However all levels of experience very much welcome."

So notwithstanding the second part of that comment, the first part must not be forgotten - Personally I have no performance or band experience despite having tinkered with the instrument for 20 years, and would be easily intimidated if I thought it was a session for experienced band members.

Not that I don't enjoy seeing and listening to people who are good at it, of course, and it's great to get inspiration from those for whom this is all in a day's work  =)

The day is for everyone and there will be parts of the day where the emphasis will be on newcomers just as there'll be parts of it where the emphasis will be on those with experience.

We're trying very hard to keep this balanced and encourage people to enjoy performances as much as feel confident to perform themselves.

We're not forgetting the newcomers at all, if anything the more experienced among us are going out of our way to help them and it's not a session for those of us who've got experience, it's a session for everyone with (hopefully) a good mix of talent and styles across the board.

I particularly like your comment about "Inspiration" because what the more experienced among us will be doing, Shredding or not we're very much hoping WILL inspire people, not intimidate them.

I can't really stress this enough, we're working very hard to make this "For Everyone" as much as that's possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    It's also worth noting that some of us will be taking fair risks even though we're pretty experienced - like playing Extreme tracks. I mean...there's a significant chance it's going to go horribly wrong, which will also serve as an object lesson to the less-experienced in terms of, "Don't play stuff beyond your reach in front of people" :D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It's also worth noting that some of us will be taking fair risks even though we're pretty experienced - like playing Extreme tracks. I mean...there's a significant chance it's going to go horribly wrong, which will also serve as an object lesson to the less-experienced in terms of, "Don't play stuff beyond your reach in front of people" :D
    Speaking from my own perspective, I've got tonnes of experience at jam sessions over the years.
    I also haven't been able to play at all, for medical reasons, for the last 12 months so I'm horribly out of practice and therefore horribly lacking in confidence. Any song will be a risk for me and one that I'll have to practice like hell over the next weeks just to make a reasonable job of, even then I can't guarantee it'll work.

What I'm trying to say is that in many ways, a lot of us are in a very similar position, definitely including me.
    My experience "Over the Years" won't count for much when my fingers have forgotten how to do it !

Hopefully, that will give some of you some extra confidence yourselves.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I think the event could do with someone who can play basic power chord rhythm quite badly, so im checking that the Wife hasn't got anything in the diary for that day. if she hasn't, ill come along :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Nikko said:
    I think the event could do with someone who can play basic power chord rhythm quite badly, so im checking that the Wife hasn't got anything in the diary for that day. if she hasn't, ill come along :)
    Glad to see you there if you can make it @Nikko

There's only 3 places left so don't leave it too long ok?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108

Teenage Kicks
    Ever Fallen in Love
    20th Century Boy
    Pretty Vacant
    Crossroads
    Rocking in the Free World

Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream"

impmann said:

Superstition
    aord43 said:

Hit the Road Jack (just 4 chords over and over with plenty of scope for soloing)
    Take your Mama (Scissor Sisters)
    Someone else said:
    Mustang Sally

What suggestions do we have in other genres?

Has anyone learned a solo, playing to a backing track, which they want to try out with other musicians?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    I'd love to come along, but it's my wedding anniversary.
    Is there anything fun-for-women nearby that I could plan a day out to, then on the day make some sort of "oh, as it happens a couple o people are meeting nearby, maybe I should leave you to have some space for 1 or 5 hours?!"
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    edited July 2017
    When I looked at playing Superstition it was in E flat, which meant tuning down, so I didn't bother.  It's bad enough trying to play songs in standard tuning  o
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Have people got thoughts about having a couple of jars afterwards?

I get out so little these days I'm thinking of booking a hotel.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Is it just me or is anyone else a bit jealous that they can't make it to this due to incompatible date and/or location?  Any northerners fancy arranging something similar later on in the year?  (let's not hijack the thread, just putting it out there)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Is it just me or is anyone else a bit jealous that they can't make it to this due to incompatible date and/or location?  Any northerners fancy arranging something similar later on in the year?  (let's not hijack the thread, just putting it out there)
    If it's a success, I'm happy to organise a northern adventure too 
    Alnico said:
    Nikko said:

Ok, im in! Diary is clear :)

Who do I pay?

By the way, ill be driving up from Harlow, Essex, so if anyone wants a lift that is on my way, just let me know.

Cheers.

aord43 said:
    When I looked at playing Superstition it was in E flat, which meant tuning down, so I didn't bother.  It's bad enough trying to play songs in standard tuning  o
    When we finalise a list, which none of that list is yet, we can always agree to play songs like that in standard tuning to make it easier for exactly this kind of situation. 

If everyone can stick just suggestions until this weekend then over the weekend we'll agree a solid list for people to start practice from and as part of that we can look to find compromise with the keys we use.

How's that?
    Nikko said:
    Alnico said:
    Nikko said:

Ok, im in! Diary is clear :)

Who do I pay?

By the way, ill be driving up from Harlow, Essex, so if anyone wants a lift that is on my way, just let me know.

Cheers.

Pm bridge house.
    I'll amend the list.

2 places left now !!
    I'll be putting locations next to usernames on the main list over the next few days as and when I have time.
    If I need to I'll just PM you guys to ask where you're travelling from but there's still over 6 weeks to go yet so there's no rush to get this done by tonight.
    We will aim to have things more sorted over the rest of this week and the weekend so that as we begin next week the list will be full, we'll know who's travelling from where and with some debate and discussion we will know how many songs there are to choose from and which songs to practice. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    If it's a success, I'm happy to organise a northern adventure too 
    Brilliant.  I'd be happy to help.
  • Alnico said:
    Roland said:
    octatonic said:
    I would caution against making the set list overly prescriptive.
    We want to make this fun, and not make people feel like this is homework.
    Actually, homework would be useful. If we have a menu of, say, 12 songs then one of us could put together chord charts. I'd also find it useful to listen to the songs beforehand.

... which reminds me. Does the venue have music stands?
    I honestly don't know.
    It shouldn't be too difficult to find out although I don't remember us having them last time.....
     @TheOtherDennis .......can you remember us using music stands?
    I don't recall, but I don't think we did. Not sure if they have any, simply because I don't know and haven't asked. I can find out if you like, though.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    aord43 said:
    TBH, we played it in B the last time I played it because we had a female vocalist so I wouldn't know what the original was played in.

The riff is actually really easy to transpose - once you've got the 'shape' in your head.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Personally I can't see them being provided by a studio but if you want to go ahead and ask they might be able to include some.
    impmann said:
    aord43 said:
    TBH, we played it in B the last time I played it because we had a female vocalist so I wouldn't know what the original was played in.

The riff is actually really easy to transpose - once you've got the 'shape' in your head.
    ......Tim is right and again @aord43 .....if you need some help with getting that under your fingers we can sort that out. There's plenty of time.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    aord43 said:
    I suspect that it will get played in E. Alternatives are to detune your guitar by a semi tone, or you can play through my rig and turn on the detune pedal.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited July 2017
    Roland said:
    aord43 said:
    I suspect that it will get played in E. Alternatives are to detune your guitar by a semi tone, or you can play through my rig and turn on the detune pedal.
    Or just play in Eb without tuning down.

Do we need a thread for who is bringing what gear?  Might be some requests from some members collections?

Just a thought.
    I don't think we need another thread we can do that here as it's general discussion now that 'Logistics' and 'Songs' have their own thread. Lets keep it to those 3 threads and put gear idea's here.

I'm bringing:
    Fender American Pro Strat with SD Classic Stack Humbucker pickups.
    Handbuilt Relic Telecaster
    Ibanez Iron Label (EMG)
    Gretsch G2420 Streamliner (Non-Bigsby)
    +
    Boss GT100 Multi FX

My amp is either a Blackstar Series one 200..........which there's no chance of me bringing and no point or a Marshall CODE 25 which won't be loud enough so I'll either use an amp that's there (I only need a clean channel for modelling) or I'll go straight to the PA.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    Yep, I'll bring:

Pedalboard (Bogner Red, AMT clean preamp, Eventide Time Factor etc)
    Jet City JCA22H and JCA50H
    Matrix NL212
    Both Jaden Rose Teles
    <space for hire>

Ill probably just travel light and bring one guitar and an FX unit. Hopefully I will be able to use one of the house amps, unless someone really wants me to bring a Katana 50??

So...

Gibson Les Paul  - 50s Tribute, faded.

Zoom G3XN

Cheers

Alnico said:
    I don't think we need another thread we can do that here as it's general discussion now that 'Logistics' and 'Songs' have their own thread. Lets keep it to those 3 threads and put gear idea's here.
    OK Cool. :)

I'm going to bring my Les Paul Faded and Squier CV Tele, if I can't play it with those...

Well I probably can't play it anyway but pretty versatile! :)

Also probably my Boss GT-8 if we can go straight to PA, I've nothing posh amp-wise so no point bringing those!

Nikko said:

Ill probably just travel light and bring one guitar and an FX unit. Hopefully I will be able to use one of the house amps, unless someone really wants me to bring a Katana 50??

So...

Zoom G3XN

Cheers

Yes !

I think the Katana 50 is a very popular current amp that a lot of people would want to see and hear, especially at Jam / Gig type of volume.
    I'd say that's very relevant.
    Alnico said:
    Nikko said:

So...

Zoom G3XN

Cheers

Yes !

I think the Katana 50 is a very popular current amp that a lot of people would want to see and hear, especially at Jam / Gig type of volume.
    I'd say that's very relevant.
    Can I bring mine as well, my wife never lets me do LOTS of things but crank the heck out of my Katana 50 is definitely one of them? :)