Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Best under the radar brand? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Best under the radar brand?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RichRich Frets: 18
    equalsql said:

Walden is definitely a brand worth looking at. I've had one of their supranatural G2070s  for a number of years and have never failed to be impressed by it.

http://www.waldenguitars.com/G2070.html

This. I've played a few Waldens, and they've all been lovely. I'm not a huge acoustic expert, but they all feel as if they should be a lot more expensive than they are, if you know what I mean. The B1 Baritone is loads of fun, too. Shame they're pretty rare over here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I would disagree with L'Arrivee - not in terms of quality but in 'under-the-radar'-ness. I've always thought they were very highly regarded and well known, too. They'd have to be to get those prices.

For me an under-the-radar brand would be something like a K Yairi, perhaps, though even that might be stretching the point, or one of the legion of smaller British makers.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited September 2013
    equalsql said:

Walden is definitely a brand worth looking at. I've had one of their supranatural G2070s  for a number of years and have never failed to be impressed by it.

http://www.waldenguitars.com/G2070.html

crikey jeeps, there's some cracking VFM there ........ merchant city have a model under 300 for a solid top AND solid r/wood back and sides !!!!  

I had a  Crafter  OM sized for while (TO35 ??)   looked and played great, but it was so heavy and built like a tank,  not really good qualities for an acoustic
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TheOtherDennis;43791" said:
    I would disagree with L'Arrivee - not in terms of quality but in 'under-the-radar'-ness. I've always thought they were very highly regarded and well known, too. They'd have to be to get those prices.

For me an under-the-radar brand would be something like a K Yairi, perhaps, though even that might be stretching the point, or one of the legion of smaller British makers.
    Suppose it depends how you define "under the radar". I would put Larerivee up agains Taylor or Martin any day od the week, yet are thwy nearly as well known as these two brands? Over the years, I have gigged regularly in Edinburgh, know many of the musicians yet have only come across one other Larrivee owner - George Duff, a highly respected acoustic singer/guitarist. Using this as measure, Larrivee are under the the radar, nowhere near as popular as Martin, Taylor or even Takemine.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    Larrivee owner here - have three OM9, SD50 TSB and C09 and totally agree with ICBM, would choose Larrivee over Martin or Taylor anyday and this is based on having owned both of these brands in the past, In fact sold my Santa Cruz D to finance the SD50 (12 fret dreadnought). I have had a tour of their factory in Vancouver and I have never come across such a happy working environment, which no doubt reflects the pride their employees go about their work.
    Whilst still a relative bargain, Larrys are beginning to climb in price, certainly compared with around 10 years ago when you could pick up a second hand Larry for a a ridiculously cheap price. 
    Re the above comment on small builders, in my experience, Larrys are consderably cheaper than most small builders guitars.  I also have a MciLroy and a Forster and both of these were considerably dearer than my Larrys

I foolishly bought a Taylor as soon as I had some cash. I sold it at a loss. It was not as good as any of the 4 Larrivees I bought for less (3 of them new), and it sat unused.

I had an OM50, D5, LV05 and SD60.

The first 3 were sadly outgunned when I started buying USA hand-made small shop stuff (no shame there, they were way pricier), but I still have the SD60 TSB, what a lovely instrument, should be far more sought after

for cheaper stuff, Blueridge seem to be good value for a real guitar, I have their Tenor guitar, and for £400-£500 new with a hard case, it sounds like a proper acoustic instrument to me, and I don't like most stuff in shops. If I wanted a cheap OM or dreadnought, I'd try them first. Hobgoblin is not the cheapest route though.

Frailers in Runcorn stock dozens of used USA imports, and usually have 10 or more used Larrivees in.

I've been in there when people get off a train from down south (it is not a tourist town !!!!) just to come in and buy a used Martin, they are very good with used prices. Anyway, go there and try Larrivees if you need a Pro acoustic for £1k or so

• bntylrbntylr Frets: 8
    Played a couple of these that were quite lovely

A friend of mine has one and gigs it regularly and as far as I know he's had no problems with it so reliability seems to be good. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438

The guy who runs/ran Turner clearly knows what a nice guitar is, based on other stock I've seen him selling.

He's started a new brand now - http://www.terrypackguitars.com/ 

I had a Turner 5 years ago, it was good for £130 (should have been £250 I think), but with all of them  -especially the pricier ones, my worry is "how do they last?", "what are they worth 1 year later?" - since you should always aim to be able to change your mind without too much of a hit, seriously though - how do you estimate the value of something like these, I am never sure what the real street price even.

• +1 Larrivee.

@TheOtherDennis - they command those prices due to the build quality, top quality materials and top shelf components.  They are without doubt, some of the finest guitars on the planet, but in the UK are still a relatively unknown brand.  Possibly ignored by many because it doesn't say Taylor or Martin on the headstock.
    edited October 2013
    I wouldnt really class Larrivee as "under the radar"   - and indeed are one of the best VFM  mass-produced "hand made" acoustics
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    Stonebridge, by a mile. 
    I tried out the usual suspects and wasn't bowled over. Found the Stonebridge, bought it, love it! 
    I've had a few folk ask for a shot and where I got it  from as they've heard great things about them but not seen them anywhere.
    For the record, I got mine from Richards Guitars. Top bloke. 
    edited October 2013
    DiscoStu said:
     Richards Guitars. Top bloke. 
    that the infamous  Richard ? as discussed at length a few weeks ago 
    bertie said:
    DiscoStu said:
     Richards Guitars. Top bloke. 
    that the infamous  Richard ? as discussed at length a few weeks ago 
    Possibly? I've not been on here much the last few weeks so must have missed something. I'm going to guess it was about spam email from his forum? 
    DiscoStu said:
     I'm going to guess it was about spam email from his forum? 
     more how he dealt with it,  and past 'communications'
    bertie said:
     more how he dealt with it,  and past 'communications'
    Aye I've had emails from his forum right enough.
    But from a buyer's point of view, I found him highly enthusiastic and very helpful when making my purchase. Plus I got him down on price!
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    I tried to buy a stonebridge off him . I sent a couple of questions by e mail got nothing back , tried again still nothing but now I get at least an email a day off his forum. Anyway back on subject . Stonebridge are suppose to be great which model did you get?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:
    IanSavage said:
    The three major Canadian brands (Simon & Patrick, Art et Lutherie and Norman, in decending order of personal preference) - all part of the Godin group, real quality at good prices (STUPIDLY low prices secondhand, quite often).
    Unfortunately, although they sound great and are very good value for money when they're new, they don't last. They're not very well made and very often have structural problems, or just seem to 'wear out' and go dead-sounding rather than maturing. They also have the highest rate of broken headstocks I know of other than Gibsons. I wish it wasn't so, since when they first came out they seemed to have solved the problem of making good-sounding guitars cheaply by getting rid of all the fancy stuff you don't need.
    Ive had my Simon & patrick for 8 years now and its still together and playing great, I carry it around in a soft gig bag too, tooks some knocks but nothing showing.
    birdo said:
    I tried to buy a stonebridge off him . I sent a couple of questions by e mail got nothing back , tried again still nothing but now I get at least an email a day off his forum. Anyway back on subject . Stonebridge are suppose to be great which model did you get?
    That's a shame. He was cool with me.
    I bought a Stonebridge DS23CR and I loves it I does.
  • bntylr said:

A friend of mine has one and gigs it regularly and as far as I know he's had no problems with it so reliability seems to be good. 
    I have a Turner acoustic, bought at a guitar show years ago. I picked out of five or so of the same model and am very happy with it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Guitar Village stock Stonebridge these days.  Was near Farnham last month and needed some strings urgently so I popped in there to buy strings.  Happened to be Boss Gone Mad Sale day - took home a Stonebridge!

It's an OM size with mahogany back and sides.  Got it in having a pickup fitted so can't get any pics at the moment.
    bntylr said:

I have a Turner acoustic, bought at a guitar show years ago. I picked out of five or so of the same model and am very happy with it.
    no stockits round these parts worse luck..........where are they based/made anyway ? 
  • No idea where mine was made - somewhere east of here certainly.

yeah I checked that, hence I knew there werent any dealers around here   :)

I assumed they were a British maker........ then realised, just an importer of far east ones.

I quite like their cases
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155

I'd say the Japanese Yairi is consistently brilliant across the range. Monte Montomery always plays one. Here he is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjpkVv9OrZQ

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Great video clip @luscombe, he's got some awesome chops, and a truly naturally relic'ed guitar, which is not surprising with what he puts it through.  Brilliant.
    So the build quality must be pretty good then.  ;)

I would love to have an acoustic again, which is why I am following and enjoying this thread, thanks all, keep it up 
    :)

• birdobirdo Frets: 24
    There seems to be a couple of yairi brands out there. K and S . Plus there is alverez which appears to be to yairi what squire is to fender. Alverez also do a masterworks series. I tried a little alverez parlour and thought it'd was great so moving up the food chain I bet there's some great stuff.
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155

Yairi (with a signature on the label) is the one to have. Ivor Maraints used to stock the full range.

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited October 2013

£40 buys you this laminated Mahogany folk thingy....

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbcg45.htm

imageimage 

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Lowden are an obvious addition, as are breedlove