Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Pics! - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Pics!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    Here they are. Definitely recommend anyone to have a go on some Brook's if you see them around. I sold of a couple of nice Martin's and a Bourgeois since getting these. Amazing guitars, and built in the UK which is always a bonus.

First is a little Creedy parlor guitar. A true small sized parlor, some of the ones you see nowadays labelled Parlor's are much bigger. Sitka Spruce with some nice figured Mahogany back and sides. Amazing finger picking guitar. The whole thing vibrates like mad, ridiculous sustain. 

And a Tamar with bearclaw Engelman Spruce, and Cherry back and sides. It is the most versatile acoustic I have ever owned. Picking, strumming, loves it all. Weighs approximately nothing.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Those Brooks look amazing! I've never seen them before. Checked out their website, very interesting - the small models especially.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited January 2014
    ICBM said:
    Those Brooks look amazing! I've never seen them before. Checked out their website, very interesting - the small models especially.
    after all Ive been saying for so long ?!?!?!?!?!   

The quality for £ is quite amazing,   and Simon is a very old mate of mine - he was my art teacher when I was 12 !!  He got me int fingerpicking really........ (hes TV Smith's - of the Adverts -  brother, and worked for Andy Manson for years)

They are an "bit" of an aquired taste,  the necks tend to have quite a flat-c profile, with a flat-ish fretboard  - suits my hands tho,  but they're very accommodating over custom spec - I had a few things done to mine, like scale length.

They're very "chimy"   very light and uber responsive    Im still ruing the day I didnt get a used cedar topped koa Lyn ( 000/parlor)  that was in Intersound,  I was going to say having two is greedy.........but...............

- @Cloudnine,   lovely  indeed.  What was it you said you've got on order ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    edited January 2014
    @Bertie  I have ordered a short scale Teign, Sitka with Rosewood. In a sunburst finish, with a few custom tweaks. ;)

Looking for the same sort of finish, binding combination etc. as on this Torridge:
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    bertie said:
    after all Ive been saying for so long ?!?!?!?!?! 
    Yes - to be perfectly honest I hadn't been very interested because my experience with English-made guitars is not positive. I've never played a single one I've liked, no matter how well-made, and many of them look rather "furniture-like" to me. And you like Faiths, which I don't… so - no offence intended - I really hadn't paid much attention ;). You probably wouldn't take a recommendation of mine very seriously either :).

But these Brooks do actually look 'right' - the little ones especially (I have to say the double-cut one is an abomination and justifies all the bad things I've just said :D ).

But unfortunately...

bertie said:
    They are an "bit" of an aquired taste,  the necks tend to have quite a flat-c profile, with a flat-ish fretboard  - suits my hands tho,  but they're very accommodating over custom spec - I had a few things done to mine, like scale length.

They're very "chimy"   very light
    … that doesn't sound so good. I can't stand necks like that (custom options notwithstanding) and if 'chimy' means that thin bright modern sound I really don't like, then it may not be so promising after all.

They do look nice though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited January 2014
    ICBM said:

and if 'chimy' means that thin bright modern sound I really don't like, then it may not be so promising after all.
    oh god no, they're not bright, not like Taylors  etc  but "woody D28s" they definitely aint  - they are quite rich/complex  - chimy for me= almost piano like resonance, the trebble strings are bell like,  fantastic pickers.....and the smaller ones are their better models IMHO, Simon is a bit of a renown fingerpicker now,  - I guess thats why they have so many smaller models, and appeal to the 'pickers'  more than the heavy strumming Tak brigade. 

BUT - considering the style/tastes you have mentioned before, I really dont think they'd be your cup of tea.  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • CloudNine said:
    Here they are. Definitely recommend anyone to have a go on some Brook's if you see them around. I sold of a couple of nice Martin's and a Bourgeois since getting these. Amazing guitars, and built in the UK which is always a bonus.

First is a little Creedy parlor guitar. A true small sized parlor, some of the ones you see nowadays labelled Parlor's are much bigger. Sitka Spruce with some nice figured Mahogany back and sides. Amazing finger picking guitar. The whole thing vibrates like mad, ridiculous sustain. 

And a Tamar with bearclaw Engelman Spruce, and Cherry back and sides. It is the most versatile acoustic I have ever owned. Picking, strumming, loves it all. Weighs approximately nothing.

OH MY GAWD.  WOW