Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Get down Shep ! RIP John Noakes - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Get down Shep ! RIP John Noakes

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
:(  There goes my childhood .....
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2339

RIP John.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Yeah, real childhood memories. I'll never forget his grief at Shep passing, showed what an unbelievable bond you can have with a dog. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    :'(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Ahh, sad.  Wasn't a regular Blue Peter watcher but John I liked, I remember Go With Noakes much more - that ieal of rambling across a moor with a faithful canine companion. 
    RIP John. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Oh MAN! That is just bloody awful news.
    An absolute childhood hero of mine and just one the best children's TV presenters who ever lived.
    I loved his 'just get on and do it' personality.

Another little piece of me has died inside :'(
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5721
    That is a real, real shame. RIP.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Bless him, he was a real trooper. I'll never forget the trip to the lighthouse where he puked over the side of the boat. 

Apparently, according to John Noakes himself, he wanted to be a serious actor and got the job presenting Blue Peter and Biddy Baxter bullied him into staying, despite him wanting to leave and pursue his real creative dream. He entertained me enormously as I was growing up and gave live television a real human touch. For posterity, here is one of my favourite Blue Peter clips ever....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    He had not been well for a good while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/0
    Be seeing you.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    I remember him crying when Shep died..R.I.P
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1728
    Still got my Blue Peter badge and accompanying letter from the BBC, John Valerie and Peter, 1968. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    RIP :(.

As already said, an inspired children's TV presenter - one of the greatest ever - and by all accounts a really nice man. A big part of my childhood too.

Sad to hear that he'd suffered from Alzheimer's. I'll always remember him as the have-a-go-at-anything nutcase of forty years ago - in particular falling out of a bobsleigh and bruised all down one side. What health & safety? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• StavrosStavros Frets: 307
    :'( Very sad, like others he was a big part of my childhood, along with Val and Peter 
    I love my brick
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    John was my favourite Blue Peter presenter.

RIP :(

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    ...children's telly was sooo much better in Black and White... Many vivid memories of the 4pm-5.45pm daily telly fest after school...espsh during in (then) real cold winters.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742

RIP. Very sad way to go, Alzheimer's is a horrible disease.

I saw on the news that he wasn't that happy doing Blue Peter. He reckoned he was overworked, underpaid and most definitely under-insured.

• FosterFoster Frets: 1094
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    He went up Nelson's column with zero safety equipment, no harness or anything, even on the stomach churning overhang right at the top. Crazy bastard! Remember that like it was yesterday. RIP.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited May 2017
    Very sad. One of life's characters. He came across as really genuine.
    It's not a competition.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 992
    One of my fave presenters from childhood. So glad he didn't turn out to be a kiddie-fiddler the way  Rolf Harris did (another fave from childhood... at the time).
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    one of his greatest attributes is that he was only trying to be John - to many presenters today are full of them selves - He just enjoyed been John