Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). new valves for my AC15 - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

new valves for my AC15

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
I'd like to swap out the stock valves in my AC15C1 and I thought I'd see if there was a consensus as to the most suitable replacements.

The last AC15 I had I swapped the preamp valves for EHX and, in a bit of a rush, the EL84s for some Peavey branded ones.

It wouldn't disappoint me to do the same again, but it doesn't hurt to ask ;)
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    For EL84s, JJ are actually really good, their only weakness is that they don't always sound good for very long when they're pushed hard ala vox AC amps. On the other hand, thinking back I don't think I've ever had one fail catastrophically. They just go a bit dull and maybe microphonic.

EH ones are a little brighter/ deeper/ clearer which may be good or not, but I've had a couple go bad on me in a screaming "oh shit that sounds like the smoke is about to get out" way.

Then there are the new Tung Sols which I've not tried but do intend to at some point.

If you want to go NOS, Tungsram have impressed me in the past. I tried some russian el84 equivalents that were supposed to be sturdier and long lasting but I must have got a bad one because the grids were glowing like a lightbulb. Annoyingly they still sound good for the 30 seconds or so I'm brave enough to leave the amp on for, I've not let it redplate enough to break yet...

Personally, I think JJ is the best bet for vox in the balance of tone and reliability.

Preamp valves, I really like Tung Sols but they can have trouble in the V2 cathode follower position so something Chinese is better there - Golden Dragons I think I've used recently. EH 12ax7s I found a little fizzy and also quite unreliable, and despite what I said about about JJ EL84s I can't stand their 12ax7s - too flat, dull and prone to microphonics for me.

NOS are a more viable alternative on the preamp front I think, because they tend to last appreciably longer. RFTs are thick and gain up quite easily, Brimars are lively, good headroom and get a nice raunchy top end when pushed, Telefunken (Fisher are a cheaper rebranding) are very clear, Mullards have sweet midrange... lots of options available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    ^ Everything that needs to be said!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    in that case, thanks very much !

I shall now give it some thought :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister