Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Practicing without a guitar? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Practicing without a guitar?

What's Hot
Hi,

I'm sick of wasting my lunch breaks during the day at work and want to do something productive for my musical development.  Any suggestions?  My theory isn't wonderful and my knowledge of modes needs work so I can do some reading, although I'm not sure the best way to nail this stuff just using pen and paper/thinking/reading.

Another option is a Gripmaster.  Or anything else like that perhaps?

Thanks,

Steve
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Forget gripmasters- they will just fuck up your tendons.
    You need to be swift, not strong.

Really the best thing you can do is compound learning- music theory type stuff.
    Can you harmonise in your head?
    Can you run through II V I's in your head?

Can you name the notes of Eb Lydian and think where they are on the fretboard?

I can tell you that if you can do this stuff in your head you will have a big advantage over people that cannot.
    This is what I do when I'm on public transport, when I'm driving, when I'm standing in queue's.
    it is about being actively involved in music, even when you don't have a guitar in your hand.

Leave the physical/digital skill for when you have a guitar in your hand though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    octatonic said:
    Forget gripmasters- they will just fuck up your tendons.
    You need to be swift, not strong.

Really the best thing you can do is compound learning- music theory type stuff.
    Can you harmonise in your head?
    Can you run through II V I's in your head?

Can you name the notes of Eb Lydian and think where they are on the fretboard?

I can tell you that if you can do this stuff in your head you will have a big advantage over people that cannot.
    This is what I do when I'm on public transport, when I'm driving, when I'm standing in queue's.
    it is about being actively involved in music, even when you don't have a guitar in your hand.

Leave the physical/digital skill for when you have a guitar in your hand though.
    Octa, that's exactly what I was writing and you've said it spot on.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cheers vizster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great stuff, octatonic.  Any suggestions on methods for learning in your head?

My band, Red For Dissent
    octatonic said:
    Cheers vizster.

aye. :)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Great stuff, octatonic.  Any suggestions on methods for learning in your head?
    First.... catch octatonic's head.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It all depends where you are at now.

So... to work that out I have a few questions.
    No looking anything up- you need to work them out in your head and write them down here.

1. Name the notes of C pentatonic minor
    2. Name the notes of Bb pentatonic major
    3.  Can you harmonise C major in your head? What is the VI expressed as a 7th chord?
    4. What is a I IV V in G major.
    5. What are the chords of a ii V I in Eb?

If these are all too easy then tell me and I'll give you the next 5.
    If you can't answer any of them then start with the major scale in C and the Pentatonic minor scale in A- i.e. look them up, write them down and memorise them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Go on gis the next 5.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    viz said:
    Go on gis the next 5.
    I'm just making them up as I go, you know.... ;)

Ok, well..

6. Write out the A superlocrian mode
    7. What parent scale is the superlocrian mode derived from?
    8. In following the chord progression: Dm7, G7, Cmaj7, Cmin7, F7, Bbmaj7, what is the C maj7 -> Cmin7 chord change also known as?
    9. What are the notes in the G diminished (half whole) scale?
    10. Are we bored yet? (serious question)
    I enjoyed the clarification of question 9, otherwise I woulda given you two answers ;) and I don't actually know the answer to 8, though I know what I call it.
    viz said:
    I enjoyed the clarification of question 9, otherwise I woulda given you two answers ;) and I don't actually know the answer to 8, though I know what I call it.
    :-)

What do you call it?
    Oh you know, a sort of darkening preparatory chromatic change down from the major 7 in readiness for the major 3rd of the F.
    viz said:
    Oh you know, a sort of darkening preparatory chromatic change down from the major 7 in readiness for the major 3rd of the F.
    LOL.
    Or you could call it a parallel modulation.

You might find this interesting- yes Clarky wrote it.

edited February 2014
    Ah yes ok fair enough, I misread your example and thought you were going from Cmaj7 to C7 (I always seem to see that min as meaning just the 7 going dominant 7, especially after a Maj7 - derrrr). Nice document, thanks!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Or just get a travel guitar.

Having spent 4 hours a day commuting and my lunch break playing "number wang" with music theory.. I know the answer to Octs questions off the top of my head.

1. The same as C minor less the D and Ab.
    2. The same as Bb major less the Eb and A.
    3. I can harmonise it on a bus? By 7th chord do you mean quartal harmony or a dominant chord (which it isn't)?
    4. The ingredients of every pub open mic night ever...
    5. Fmin6 Bb7b13 Ebmaj7
    6. Darers go first
    7. The major scale with a flat 3rd ... in one direction...
    8. Rudolph UNTERPANTZEN!?
    9. Same as the notes of the Bb diminished scale?
    10. Utterly.. can I go and play guitar now?

However my inneptitude on the guitar remained utterly unshaken.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited February 2014

deleted

• What I like to do sometimes is think of a melody from a song I've heard and try to work out the intervals between the notes. I'll sing the melody in my head, and then just sing the first 2 notes over and over until I decide, for example, that it's descending by a minor third. Then sing the next 2 notes (in my head) over and over until I think, for example, that it's going up a perfect second. Then do that for the whole melody. I don't have perfect pitch, but I'll work out all the notes, relative to one another, and write it down, and then later when I've got access to a guitar/piano, I'll see if I was right. It's fun to do if you don't mind pulling silly faces and occasionally singing a note out loud by accident.
  • Buy Zen Guitar by Philip Toshido Sudo.

I always take it on holiday. I bought it for my co-guitarist when he badly broke his hand. Excellent at renewing enthusiasm and appreciation of music in general.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I like practicing without a guitar. My vibrato is soooooooo much better.
  • I need to work out how to get notifications from this site...
    Without resorting to cheating, therefore quite possibly wrong!
    1 - C Eb F Ab Bb
    2 - Bb C D  F G
    3 - Am7
    4  - G C D
    5 - F Ab Eb
    octatonic said:
    It all depends where you are at now.

So... to work that out I have a few questions.
    No looking anything up- you need to work them out in your head and write them down here.

1. Name the notes of C pentatonic minor
    2. Name the notes of Bb pentatonic major
    3.  Can you harmonise C major in your head? What is the VI expressed as a 7th chord?
    4. What is a I IV V in G major.
    5. What are the chords of a ii V I in Eb?

If these are all too easy then tell me and I'll give you the next 5.
    If you can't answer any of them then start with the major scale in C and the Pentatonic minor scale in A- i.e. look them up, write them down and memorise them.

My band, Red For Dissent