Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Does anybody have an Italia guitar? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Does anybody have an Italia guitar?

JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
edited August 2013 in Guitar
I always like the look of these but have never seen anybody play one...do they in fact exist?

(Although I remember I had one and covered it in copper once, but that was different as when I started typing I was thinking about the Ricky-like ones)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2803
    I've seen Chris Rea playing 6 string versions a few times  ( I think he has an endorsement deal) but sounded nice to me.

The 12 string looks good and I have to say i was temped a couple of years ago but got a Variax.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1071
    edited August 2013
    I had a go on exactly that model (Rimini 12 string) in a shop. It actually played well and sounded great. I ended up getting a Ric but that was just an itch I had to scratch. 

Probably the wrong decision as I don't use the 12 string a lot (despite loving the sound). I could have got something like a Ric 360/6 AND the Italia for what I ended up paying for the 660/12.
  • I very nearly got one during my I love the Smiths era, and felt a 12 string would be a way of making some of his stuff sound even prettier than it already is.  

They are wonderful.  Play well, sound great.  Stock pickups are fine, too - not a desperate upgrade, but Oil City would make it incredible.  It outplayed a Ricky in the same shop, but didn't play or sound as nice as a 10 string Bich that was also there.  That was over £3000 though...
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    660s are rather lovely though, so some compensation there.. :)

I've been looking at the Italia for ages on-line, should really go and find one to try I guess.

• dandldandl Frets: 36
    I Have a 6 string Rimini, and its a lovely little thing.

When i got it the tuners had been upgraded to Schallers and the pickups changed out to coil tapped Artec toaster style pickups, so i can't comment on it from stock. It seems very well built and it is lovely to play. The fingerboard is very flat though compared to my other guitars but it still plays very nicely. Its now become the firm favourite of my eldest daughter!

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Be only tried then in shops years ago but they seemed very nice.  Iirc there were some bargains to be had in sound control?

I was in a band with a bassist that had one and it was a nice bass.   
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I had the 12 string Rimini in honey burst, it was a great guitar, really easy to play, nice sounds, nice hardware and pickups as it's Wilkinson designed. Only sold it to help fund my wedding.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Sounds like it is worth a pop then :)

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I'd say so. I'd buy another.