Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). ROLAND founder dies - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

ROLAND founder dies

What's Hot
ROLAND founder and Godfather of MIDI, Ikutaro Kakehashi diies

http://cdm.link/2017/04/father-808-founder-roland-ikutaro-kakehashi-died/

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    So Ikutaro Kakahashi died yesterday.

Who the fuck? I hear you say.

Mr Boss, founder of Roland, founder of Boss, inventor of MIDI....and so on.

Absolute genius.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikutaro_Kakehashi

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    He was probably as important as Leo Fender to the development of modern music.

RIP :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sad indeed, what a legend, RIP.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I'm in Osaka in a few days
    I think I'll buy a pedal to commemorate 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    RIP.
     I've always been a big fan of his products. I still think the SH-101 was one of the best synths ever made, while the DEP-5 is my favourite delay.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    Very sad. I've used (and still use) many Roland products. All extremely reliable. I've never had one fail.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited April 2017
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Oops. Heard it on radio 4 so a bit late to the party. He had far more influence than Fender IMO. 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    ICBM said:
    He was probably as important as Leo Fender to the development of modern music.

RIP :(.
    Perhaps even more influential than Leo Fender, who concentrated on amplifying sound.  Ikutaro Kakahashi developed new ways to create and morph sounds and then wrapped it up in user friendly boxes decked in primary colours.
    Worked on the MIDI standard, huge

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Mr Boss. Mr MIDI. Mr Juno. And even Mr D beam. A real contributor to the sound of today's music.
    edited April 2017
    And what I didn't know, he created the Bentley Rhythm Ace - not the band, the thing they're named after - the world's first commercial drum machine, I think.

I saw one in a junk shop about thirty years ago, and because I had no idea what it was I didn't buy it…

(Bentley was just a rebadge of the original Japanese Ace Tone version, in fact.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    How come my early thread gets merged into a later one, eh?

The suits will be in touch.

I don't get all this love over a silly old buffer anyway....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited April 2017
    Gassage said:
    I'll explain...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    JezWynd said:
    Gassage said:
    I'll explain...

Whooosh moment.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    edited April 2017
    Roland MT-32
    Roland JV-1080
    Roland Alpha Juno
    Roland PAD-5
    BOSS ME-5

not a hicup since 1986 onwards and they all talk to each other still!

Many Thanks

http://i63.tinypic.com/11vh44j.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Gassage said:
    JezWynd said:
    Gassage said:
    I'll explain...

Whooosh moment.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679

The guy who invented the TR-808 has died:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39471567

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I saw that and amazed this blog has not attracted more comments - Without him Boss would have not evolved and I dare say there are few stages around the world that has not had a boss Pedal on it - Indeed how many FB members have not had a Boss pedal - is he the Steve Jobs of our industry ?
    I saw that and amazed this blog has not attracted more comments 
    Probably because there have been a couple of threads already about his death and telling of his impact on the music scene.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    I saw that and amazed this blog has not attracted more comments 
    Probably because there have been a couple of threads already about his death and telling of his impact on the music scene.
    sorry if I missed them - been away part of the weekend and just catching up on FB - thanks
    edited April 2017
    Easily missed. I was surprised there were not more posts about his passing.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/100409/
    Boss:
     BE-5b
     BF-2
     CE-3
     CE-20
    CS-2
    DC-3
    DF-2
    HF-2
    NS–2
    PH-2
    PN-2
    DR 660
    RBF-10
    SE-50
    SE-70 (x2)

Roland:
    D-50 (x2)
    Jupiter 6
    SH-09
    SH-101
    DEP-5
    RE-201
    SRV-330

Of all these, the only one i didn't get on with was the DF-2, and I suspect that I should have given it more time.
     I don't have all of these anymore, but I wish I did.

I said maybe.....
    Of all these, the only one i didn't get on with was the DF-2, and I suspect that I should have given it more time.

The DF-2 is the bestestest pedal ever.

But I admit it does have something of a learning curve if you want to use the feedbacker bit to its full advantage - although I still think it's possibly the best-sounding distortion pedal ever made, even if you don't.

I still have my SE-70 as well...

It was the first Boss pedal I bought, so I'm guessing it was late '84 or early '85, making me 18 or 19. I remember I moved it on quickly, so probably youthful impatience. I didn't like the distorted tone at the time, but I owned a solid state amp back then and the only drive pedal that ever sounded good with it was my old TS-9.
    I know that I'd find the feedbacker really useful nowadays.
    I said maybe.....
    It was the first Boss pedal I bought, so I'm guessing it was late '84 or early '85, making me 18 or 19. I remember I moved it on quickly, so probably youthful impatience. I didn't like the distorted tone at the time, but I owned a solid state amp back then and the only drive pedal that ever sounded good with it was my old TS-9.
    I know that I'd find the feedbacker really useful nowadays.
    I've got one for sale if you want to revisit your lost youth :).

But only because I have three (plus a broken one for spares) and I probably don't really need that many...

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited April 2017
    Honourable mention should also go to Roland guitar synths Gr500 etc and Digital modelling VG8 etc
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter