Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). yamaha emx 312 powered mixer. anyone got/using one - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

yamaha emx 312 powered mixer. anyone got/using one

looking to buy one of these in a few days and just wanted to get some feedback, erh hum forgive the pun!

i play in a 4 piece rock and bluesy kind of band playing mostly pub gigs, just want to make sure its gonna be man enough. the other thing is the speaker inputs are 4 ohm but the yamaha speakers we currently have are 8 ohm. will this be a problem? and another thing, we will probably be getting it from thomann, do we have to pay any duty or vat when comes in?

cheers folks!

The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    If it's just for vocals and you're backline/drums aren't insanely loud then it'll be fine.  I used to have the 512 and a rehearsal room i use has the 312 - simple to use and sounds ok.

No vat or duty from thomann - it's all included in the price - the only variation from the listed price will be due to exchange rates from using your card to pay but it'll only be a tiny difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • do you reckon we'd be better going for something with a bit more balls? like the 512

The Swamp City Shakers
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725

do you reckon we'd be better going for something with a bit more balls? like the 512

If you're thinking about putting the whole band through it, then I'd want more power - when I had the 512 I ran the sub out into another power amp running some subs.
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 385
    edited February 2014

it would really only be used for vocals and micing the harmonica amp.

we've currently got a peavey xr600c which seems to do the job but is getting a bit tired.

The Swamp City Shakers
  • Depends on the power rating of your speakers it delivers 180 watts per channel at 8 ohms good mixer for solo acoustic for a band it will struggle 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    edited February 2014
    I've used the 312 and didn't rate the output at all. Just didn't have any balls whatsoever. The 512 would be better, especially if you're running at 8 ohms. I just find all Yamaha preamps below an 01V are just lacking in warmth or character. We occasionally use an MG mixer and it just doesn't inspire.

I'd look at either the Peavey equivalent which appears to be the XR8300 or pick up a used Dynacord Powermate.

Or alternatively, you could look at a separate mixer/ amp setup. More versatile, more features and not too different price wise.
  • we are on a bit of a budget with this, so just looking at the berhinger pmp960, 6 channels and 900w. is the berhinger stuff that bad? (ducks for cover)

hearing mixed reports on it

The Swamp City Shakers
  • It won't be 900w.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited February 2014
    Believe it or not the output power at 8 ohms for this one is less than the Yamaha at 160 watts  per channel! Now Bandmaster what speakers do you have? If they are 100 watt at 8ohm there's plenty of power to drive them. It may be a case of using your existing mixer as a mixer only then getting a power amp to drive your speakers 

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 385
    edited February 2014
    Believe it or not the output power at 8 ohms for this one is less than the Yamaha at 160 watts  per channel! Now Bandmaster what speakers do you have? If they are 100 watt at 8ohm there's plenty of power to drive them. It may be a case of using your existing mixer as a mixer only then getting a power amp to drive your speakers 

After chatting to the singer today, I'm pretty sure he said they were 200w yamaha's. apparently our existing peavey xr600c is rated at 300 watts at 2 ohms which would mean we were only getting about 120w a side with our 8 ohm speakers. But it's always been loud enough for us.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • If it ain't broke don't fix it! However if your budget is £350 based on the average price of an EMX then I would look at a power amplifier capable of at least 300 per side at 8 ohms and a small desk but having had a hunt round ebay 2 choices here 

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • If it ain't broke don't fix it! However if your budget is £350 based on the average price of an EMX then I would look at a power amplifier capable of at least 300 per side at 8 ohms and a small desk but having had a hunt round ebay 2 choices here 

It is kind of broke but hanging in there. Think we might have to bust the budget a bit here and go for something bigger. Cheers for the input though people!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • we went for the emx 512 in the end and had a bit of a result as our kindly rehearsal studio owner got it for us at wholesale cost, so it was the same price as a 312 would have been off of the web. Happy days!
    The Swamp City Shakers