Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Drum software? - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Drum software?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22443
    I secretly replaced 4 bars of our drummers out of time drumming with BFD2 in the last Xmas song we recorded and no-one noticed.
    Ha!! Epic.

Our drummer has a little room he records in at his house. It sounds kinda shit, and is only good for demos really. So I often replace his shells with BFD3 when we're doing demos, and just keep the overheads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
    I use Steven Slate. Love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cool.

@drew_fx if I got a new interface that happens to come with a lighter cubase, how easy is it to program drums with bfd? Might save up.
    Grab the demo guv. Will say way more than I can.
  • Downloading as we speak, did not realise it had a freebie.  

Won't run as a plug in, but it'll be nice finding my way around the software.  If I like it, I reckon I'll save up the pennies.  
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7416
    edited March 2014
    I'm going to say that I'm lost already.  BAH.  

It comes with some funk preset beats, but I've worked out (I think) how to create my own. here 

but the demo doesn't have palettes I don't think?  So it's hard for me to say what I think of it.  

I like the amount of editing you can do to each drum - the stock kit sounds pretty fine though!

I've created a simple 2 bar loop (not worked out how to change tempo, time signature or length of loop, so again, just stock... Any help?  On tutorials, it automagically lets you choose...) and I assume you'd then hit 'save groove' to...Er... Save the groove.  That groove can then be drag and dropped into the song at will.  When you're happy with that, I assume you save the drum track as midi or audio (audio for me I think) and drag and drop into the DAW.

@Drew_fx if I'm miles out, or missed anything, let me know.  These are the basic things I'd need (I'm after a basic drum kit sound, not effected drum and bass heaven!).  
  • I'll clarify the above comment - I think BFD2 sounds amazing, but it has an awful lot of stuff that someone like me just... Doesn't need.  

I'd swap a lot of that for ease of use.  Something with the sound quality of BFD2 but an easier drag and drop programming of beats.  I doubt I'd use MIDI triggers, either.
    BFD3 guv. BFD3. We don't sell BFD2 now anyway.

BFD3 can drag and drop as audio or midi. Sure, it takes a while to get into, but once you do, it pays dividends.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Drew_fx said:
    I secretly replaced 4 bars of our drummers out of time drumming with BFD2 in the last Xmas song we recorded and no-one noticed.
    Ha!! Epic.

Our drummer has a little room he records in at his house. It sounds kinda shit, and is only good for demos really. So I often replace his shells with BFD3 when we're doing demos, and just keep the overheads.
    We demo up with just overheads recorded onto a laptop at practice. Sounds ok but alot of the time the kick is totally lost.

When i demo something myself I just program it up but I want to setup a decent electric kit in my garage triggering bfd and see how that works out instead.

For full blown stuff it's still haul the desktop and all the close mics into a studio though.
  • Drew_fx;191450" said:
    BFD3 guv. BFD3. We don't sell BFD2 now anyway.

BFD3 can drag and drop as audio or midi. Sure, it takes a while to get into, but once you do, it pays dividends.
    Yeah, I feel like I'm lost in a sea of programming. I'd quite often need to change the time signatures of songs, is it easy to do that? Also, I could only do 2 bar grooves, can this be changed to 1, 3 or 4 or... Whatever?

It seems pretty great, I'm just a bit overwhelmed so far, and tutorial videos are mostly about tweaking drum sounds and adding effects.
  • Ooo surprise early finish from work means I can play with the demo some more. I'll report back.
  • Bfd eco might be more suitable @drew_fx?
    It might be yeah. Doesn't have a groove editor though, so if you want to make your own grooves, you'll need to do that inside whatever host you're using. It is also limited in terms of detail level. But if you want something simple, then it's worth giving it a shot.

BFD3 can have as long a groove length as you like. It can do different time signatures.
  • Ah, BFD3 will be woth saving for then :) cheers!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    I think Logic X or the new Garageband  will actually sell a fair few s/h Macs ;) you know it makes sense :) and they are a LOT cheaper than you imagine