Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Why I can't have nice things - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Why I can't have nice things

What's Hot
While my good friend @misterg is uploading his excellent Firebird build thread, I will just leave this here to explain why he stands over me when I play his guitars:

That is my expensive Takamine ETN10C with cedar top and thin finish (for the tone, like).

I've only had it for five months, I think I need to work on my right hand technique...

(I secretly like it)
I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Honest and awesome. Love it :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    If Wolverine played guitar...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

What on earth do you use for a pick? A shovel?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Are you a tiger human hybrid?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • During my formative years I played a Strat (single coil bridge) through a Fender transistor amp, in a band with a chap who played a Fender Lead II (with Kent Armstrong Motherbucker bridge) through a JCM800. I think this is why I hit the strings like I'm trying to break open a coconut.

I use black Jazz III stiffo picks, which definitely doesn't help.

This guitar is awesome and loud. It will be even awesome and louder when I wear the soundhole to twice its size, right?
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 212
    He is.

(Well, human / Tigger hybrid, anyway ;) )

(And I don't stand over him... much...)
  • Misterg said:
    He is.

(Well, human / Tigger hybrid, anyway ;) )

(And I don't stand over him... much...)

Where's your Firebird thread? Get back to work and stop reading things! [-X
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    Bit heavy handed?

You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• Brings a new meaning to the term "danger wank".
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    WTF is a danger wank?  I've been around, but that one seems to have passed me by!
    Chuffola said:
    WTF is a danger wank?  I've been around, but that one seems to have passed me by!

Google is your friend here, just not when Mrs Chuffola is around........There'll be some explaining to do if she is.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited August 2013
    mike_l said:

What on earth do you use for a pick? A shovel?

LOL -   not only that, now it might be the camera angle but that action looks like you could drive a double decker bus underneath........   :-O
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    fecking hell bert, if he had the action any lower those pick marks would be on the back X_X

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Hell fire!    I thought I was bad but what is it going to be like in a few years?   (If it lasts a few years that is! ;-) )
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    :O
    My V key is broken
  • Aaaaaaah, it's only the finish, there's plenty of life in it no doubt! I just get carried away. I'll get concerned when it starts to look like Willie Nelson's:

Action is 3.0mm (E) and 2.5mm (e) at the 12th fret, about right for hard strumming on an acoustic I would say? Feels fine-diddley-ine to me, it plays lovely.

I'll post progress pics in a few months!
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 212
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Chuffola;3028" said:
    This should explain it (NSFW text) http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dangerwank
    tFB Trader
    Am I the only one mentally singing:

"DANGER WANK DO-DO DO-DO DO-DO"
    To the tune of Danger Mouse.
    I hope so....

• Am I the only one mentally singing:

Well, this forum went downhill pretty fast.  :D
    tFB Trader
    Am I the only one mentally singing:

Well, this forum went downhill pretty fast.  :D
    We only built this site to make wank jokes. 
    The guitar thing is just a front. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • And I played right into your ha- Let me rephrase that.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I don't go near a plectrum with my acoustic guitars! 
    edited August 2013
    VimFuego said:
    fecking hell bert, if he had the action any lower those pick marks would be on the back X_X
    you being serious ?   that action looks nearly 10mm approaching 12th...............  mine are about 3 or 4  at the 12th open stringed
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    You bought a guitar without a pick guard?

Although there may be some (arguable) tone implications to fitting one, I think you might see the merits. I have seen clear plastic options which don't obstruct the overall appearance but with some damage already evident they will only offer protection against further damage.

Complete with fitting and removal instructions and allegedly without damage (that might not apply since your finish is already damaged).

Does that help?

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2013

Glen Hansard's Martin freaks me out slightly..

• bertie said:
    VimFuego said:
    you being serious ?   that action looks nearly 10mm approaching 12th...............  mine are about 3 or 4  at the 12th open stringed

Action is 3mm at the 12th fret, low E. :)
  • ESBlonde said:
    You bought a guitar without a pick guard?

Although there may be some (arguable) tone implications to fitting one, I think you might see the merits. I have seen clear plastic options which don't obstruct the overall appearance but with some damage already evident they will only offer protection against further damage.

Complete with fitting and removal instructions and allegedly without damage (that might not apply since your finish is already damaged).

Does that help?

Cheers, people keep recommending this kind of thing to me but I feel strangely intransigent! Allegedly cedar wears so much and then you are left with the hard bits of the grain which do not wear anywhere near as quickly. This causes a ridged effect which my guitar indeed displays.

I noticed that the influences on my percussive guitar style (e.g. Nuno Bettencourt, Nick Harper, SRV) all have guitars with spectacular amounts of wear on them so I should have seen it coming really....! :-S
    Action is 3mm at the 12th fret, low E. :)
    crikey it doesnt look it.......  :)